6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:57 am 

Just came across Vince Briel's version of markadev's Apple II VGA card and I'm wondering if it might allow me to add Apple II video text and graphic modes with VGA output and run Apple II software on a homebrew 6502 SBC?

Quoting from markadev's github page;
Quote:
This project is a VGA card for Apple II computers to ouput a crisp RGB signal to a VGA monitor instead of having to rely on the composite output. This is accomplished by snooping the 6502 bus and creating a shadow copy of the video memory within a Raspberry Pi Pico, then processing the raw video memory contents to output a "perfect" signal.

The card connects to the 16 address lines, 8 data lines, the DEVSEL strobe (16 slot dependent addresses), the R/W line, and the PHI0 clock line. I'm wondering if I could map the 4K $CXXX block for I/O on an SBC, provide a DEVSEL strobe, and read or write to Apple 'soft switch' addresses in order to implement Apple II video using Text1, Text2, Hires1, and Hires2 areas of main memory? What do you think? Could this work?

TIA... Cheerful regards, Mike

Attachments:
AppleIIVGA.jpg
AppleIIVGA.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 3167 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:51 am 

It might well work... I think modelling reads is much harder than modelling writes, because there's a hard deadline for responding with appropriate data. But then, for the softswitches, that's perhaps no great challenge. It's a great advantage with displays, that the information flow is one-way. (In this case, the host still has the video RAM and can read it back in the usual way.)