6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:31 am 

A few years ago I visited extended family in a different state that had a lot of these, and I thought what if someone is red-green colorblind and left-right dyslexic too!  (I know almost nothing about dyslexia, but my wife is a teacher and has had kids who had trouble with b and d, and p and q.)
Attachment:
horizTrafficLights.jpg
horizTrafficLights.jpg [ 51.61 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

Color is needed in PCB layout to visually keep the layers separate, but I don't like it in schematics, nor source code except when I'm writing html pages where tags are not paired by indentation and there can be several sets anywhere on a line.

Now that I've contributed to the somewhat off-topic stuff, ... back to your regular scheduled programming ("My way for 6502 communications, UART & SPI/I2C")

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am 

Texas is one of the states which have adopted the horizontal arrangement for traffic signals. Most of the cities have given in to current state DOT standards.

It has been decades since I had to take defensive driving, I should go and do it for a discount on today's high auto insurance rates, but I hate to forfeit that "get out of jail free" card, but I digress...

I suppose a useful mnemonic device is rightmost light means you have the right of way.

The problem I have is the current fetish for flashing yellow arrow instead of a solid green light for left turn permitted but yield to oncoming traffic. A solid yellow light or solid yellow arrow is the warning that the red is coming. It is difficult to tell at a glance whether the yellow is flashing or solid so they install two yellow arrows, one flashing and one solid. But some intersections have a combination of red, flashing yellow and solid green arrow, sometimes more than one of them at the increasing number of intersections with multiple left-turn lanes.

I am just thankful that Texas has banned red-light enforcement cameras. I got dinged once for turning on red because I misjudged which yellow was lit.

Any traffic light controllers still use a 6502?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:42 pm 

[quote="Michael"]The 6551 (faux) pinout is nice. Have you implemented serial buffers by any chance?\]

Yes Michael, but tx/rx buffers are on AVR side

p.s. my apology for colored drawings, next time I will put only B&W PDF/JPG here..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:39 pm 

fachat wrote:
maurice6502 wrote:
fachat wrote:
Very nice! I'll have a look as I am investigating a method to connect an atmel avr to a 6502 bus. We may have had the same ideas.

Can you attach screenshots of the schematics as well? I do have eagle, but not really handy eg on my phone now!

Thanks
André

André,
attachment of first post is in pdf format, let me know if you are able to read it.

Thanks I only saw the image not the pdf.

Why are you useing '373 latches?

I either use '273 - which are to my knowledge the only ones with /RES or '374/'574 (IIRC) registers. I know chances are very low but latches like the '373 can change while 'open' which can lead to potentially inconsistent values.
Again, chances are low but I like to look at such details ;-)

Thanks again for sharing!

André

André,
both side of communication are buffered to ensure minimal use of 6502 time and resources..

To write one char just put on BaseAddress (latch U3) your data and one Interrupt occour on AVR to move your byte to AVR_TxBuffer

To read one char from AVR_RxBuffer you have 2 chance:

- with interrupt generated from AVR when AVR_RxBuffer is not empty , just read BaseAddress+1 (Latch U1) and AVR after a very short time put one new data (if exist..) on Latch U1
- with polling , checking BaseAddress+4 (for COM1) or BaseAddress+5 (for COM2) to see if there are data inside AVR buffers before access to latch U3

Using a single port with interrupts is easy to send an receive data at over 200 Kbytes/sec (1,6 Mbit/s) , with 2 ports or with polling transfer speed is reduced (performances tested with 65C02 running at 1.8432 Mhz and AVR running at 18.432 Mhz); this architecture allow minimal use of 6502 time for mid lenght data packets, in my applications less than 16 bytes are sent every millisecond end I have two terminator to start real AVR transmission:

- when AVR receive one CR or LF (for ascii string)
- after 100 uS from last char received (for binary packets)

For high speed use , engaging AVR UART only when AVR_TxBuffer is ready with all data grant that AVR process IRQ from 6502 and transfer U1 data in 4 uS (without extreme optimization of code..) and 2 Mhz 65C02 spent more time to send 1 byte of packet:

LDX NumChars ; load numebr of bytes to send
LOOP
LDA MyTxBuffer,X ; pick up data
STA AVR51 ; and store in U3 latch
DEX ; decrement pointer
BNE LOOP ; repeat up to end job

more or less 15 cycles at 500nS , more than AVR_IRQ time ; one 16 bytes telegram cost 120 uS (12% of 65C02 time with 1mS cycle)
Note that AVR must send out data at 230Kbit to allow this data rate and perform other tasks (for transmission phase local UART are engaged for 70% of time but AVR for less than 10% allowing RX for ack/nack of receiver)

Low speed or multichannel can be programmed with different logic for basis performances.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:43 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
It's also quite easy to download the image then remove the color by means of photo editing software.

GIMP, Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro come to mind, but even a comparatively rudimentary package should suffice. The menu selections will surely include several pertaining to color, and it's only necessary to find the "Saturation" setting and reduce it to the minimum value; this will yield a gray-scale rendition.
I've used IrfanView, Convert to Grayscale, then tweak Brightness & Contrast. Doesn't always give the best White background. I'll try Saturation next time.

Quote:
I sometimes do this myself, simply because I don't find the color helpful.
-- Jeff
No kidding, especially the often-seen dim, gray alphanumeric characters. (A problem Michael's schematic does not have.) What an unhelpful combination.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:48 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
I sometimes do this myself, simply because I don't find the color helpful.

I have never found color helpful, as well, and have never understood why anyone would think colored schematics are of value.  What exactly do those colors mean?  A wire depicted on a piece of paper is an abstraction, and doesn’t convey any extra information by being green, orange, or yellow with purple polka dots.

During my railroad career, I read countless locomotive and car schematics, and never once encountered one that was not drawn in black on white paper.  A reason for the lack of color is precisely the reason why I object to color schematics: some color combinations are difficult or impossible to see for someone with color-perception deficiencies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:12 pm 

very interesting project!
sometimes i lie in bed and wonder what could've been if WDC were to release an updated 65C51 that not only fixes the hardware bug but also included hardware SPI and I2C master/slave functionality. then i'd actually buy one of those :lol:

day dreaming aside, i took a look at the schematic and compared it to the 65C51's pinout, and a few things confuse me.

first one, the 65C51 has 2 Address lines, but in your circuit you seem to be using CS0 (Chip Select, Active High) as a third Address line? if you were to replace a real 65C51 that would cause U4 to only ever have Y4-Y8 (100, 101, 110, 111) selected as BA2 is always pulled high when the chip is selected.

and second, pin 28 on the 65C51 is the R/~W signal from the CPU, but in your schematic it's completely unusued? how does your circuit differentiate between reading and writing from/to the same address? or what if you were to try to write to a read only address? would it cause bus contention because the AVR and outputs data regardless what the CPU is doing on the bus?

on another note, i like the idea of using a latch for the input, as that gives the AVR more time to take in data without having to worry about doing it in half a CPU clock cycle. i've would've tried to use a single bi-directional buffer like a 74x245 and then just use onboard clock stretching for faster CPUs but obviously that doesn't work if the MCU is on a seperate board and designed to plug into existing systems.

but on the same note, why is the output from the AVR to the CPU also a latch? wouldn't a tri-state buffer fulfill the same purpose? because the AVR can't really pre-load the latch as by the time the CPU wants to read from it the data has to be there within half a CPU cycle.

that also reminds me, the 328p's maximum clock speed without overclocking is 20MHz (though you mentioned it running at ~18MHz, why's that?), so what's the maximum CPU speed you can pair this with before you need to add wait states on the CPU side?

overall pretty cool project, and giving me a few ideas for directly putting an MCU on a future SBC as Co-Processor and boot ROM. something like a CH32V103, it has the power of an SMT32 (except RISC-V), but can run at 5V like an AVR, plus they're dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:00 am 

Proxy wrote:
sometimes i lie in bed and wonder what could've been if WDC were to release an updated 65C51 that not only fixes the hardware bug but also included hardware SPI and I2C master/slave functionality. then i'd actually buy one of those :lol:

WDC does have the fixed '51 and SPI master and I²C master in the MAX10-based FPGA microcontrollers.  See https://wdc65xx.com/fpga-microcontrollers/ .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:53 am 

i guess that's sort-of true, but an FPGA is not the same as having a discrete purpose made IC in DIP/PLCC/QFP package like the other 65Cxx chips.

and yes i know of the gargantuan cost different between making an FPGA softcore and an actual physical IC.

though i hope that someday in the future (hopefully within my lifespan), there will be companies similar to PCBway and JLCPCB except for semicondutors. with user friendly interfaces, design upload, and easy ordering compared to how it currently works. obviously i wouldn't expect them to be as cheap as current age PCBs or even have similar yield rates, they'd probably still cost hundreds to thousands of <currency> for like 25-50 ICs and i'd be happy if like half of them worked.
but having prices come down at all while making them more accessible to the general public, similar to how it happend to PCBs within the last few decades, would still be a massive step forward in my opinion!

anyways, sorry for rambling, i just really want to see the day where i can hold a custom made IC in my hands without having spend my life savings on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:56 am 

I expect that day is coming, when they can make your IC design on the same wafer with others' designs, and without having to make masks. similar to part of the SMT assembly process today where many assemblers don't even have to make a solderpaste silkscreen anymore because they use a process similar to inkjet to print the solderpaste onto the board, totally controlled by software.  I envision being able to download various modules, whether for a processor, memory, logic, SPI, UARTs, I²C, PWM, GPIO, etc., and piece them together and simulate it to check it, and upload your design to the fab house like we do to PCB houses, and have the package on our doorstep a couple of weeks later, for prices similar to what we have been paying recently for custom PCBs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:46 am 

It's called MPW - multi-project wafer - and we have a thread on affordable silicon fabrication:
Custom chips at $100 each (or $30, or $20 at quantity)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:55 pm 

i know multi-waver projects are a thing, but even nowadays they're still not quite what i would consider "hobbyist viable", expecially in terms of price. that's why i hope that as time goes on older processes like that will just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. (and man if only they came in packages like QFP that you could actually solder by hand without extra tools)

and i feel like this is getting quite a bit off-topic, sorry about that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:14 am 

Proxy wrote:
very interesting project!

day dreaming aside, i took a look at the schematic and compared it to the 65C51's pinout, and a few things confuse me.

first one, the 65C51 has 2 Address lines, but in your circuit you seem to be using CS0 (Chip Select, Active High) as a third Address line? if you were to replace a real 65C51 that would cause U4 to only ever have Y4-Y8 (100, 101, 110, 111) selected as BA2 is always pulled high when the chip is selected.

CS0 signal is active low to select base address for device access, pins 13-14 (BA0 - BA1) are used to select 4 "pseudo" registers; BA2 at pin 2 is a further addressing to allocate more 4 bytes for polling flags

Proxy wrote:
and second, pin 28 on the 65C51 is the R/~W signal from the CPU, but in your schematic it's completely unusued? how does your circuit differentiate between reading and writing from/to the same address? or what if you were to try to write to a read only address? would it cause bus contention because the AVR and outputs data regardless what the CPU is doing on the bus?

R/W lines is not mandatory, bus contention is not possible because both latch U1 and U3 are adressed throug U4 ; trying to write to read only address (U1 device) dont crash anything

Proxy wrote:
on another note, i like the idea of using a latch for the input, as that gives the AVR more time to take in data without having to worry about doing it in half a CPU clock cycle. i've would've tried to use a single bi-directional buffer like a 74x245 and then just use onboard clock stretching for faster CPUs but obviously that doesn't work if the MCU is on a seperate board and designed to plug into existing systems.

Use of latch grant bus separation and allow use of this solution in any existing board, no clock stretching is required for 6502 cpu and no wait state or NOP are necessary, please see sample code on my previous post

Proxy wrote:
but on the same note, why is the output from the AVR to the CPU also a latch? wouldn't a tri-state buffer fulfill the same purpose? because the AVR can't really pre-load the latch as by the time the CPU wants to read from it the data has to be there within half a CPU cycle.

Latch on AVR side allow use of this solution without interrupts on both side and ensure bus separation

Proxy wrote:
that also reminds me, the 328p's maximum clock speed without overclocking is 20MHz (though you mentioned it running at ~18MHz, why's that?), so what's the maximum CPU speed you can pair this with before you need to add wait states on the CPU side?.

To avoid any error at 230Kbaud 18,432,000 Hz is the maximum clock below 20Mhz ; using oscillator insthead resonator should be possible to overclock AVR at 22,118,400 hz with zero error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:42 pm 

Proxy wrote:
... so what's the maximum CPU speed you can pair this with before you need to add wait states on the CPU side?

I'm also curious about the maximum CPU speed... TIA...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:06 pm 

maurice6502 wrote:
CS0 signal is active low to select base address for device access, pins 13-14 (BA0 - BA1) are used to select 4 "pseudo" registers; BA2 at pin 2 is a further addressing to allocate more 4 bytes for polling flags

check the datasheet again, the 65C51, similar to the 65C22, has 2 chip selects: CS0 (pin 2) is active high while CS1 (pin 3) is active low. so the chip is only "selected" when both CS0 is high and CS1 is low.
but on your board only CS1 (pin 3, renamed to CS0) is being checked while the original CS0 (pin 2, renamed to BA2) is repurposed as an address line, which can and likely will cause issues in existing systems.
so overall it's not actually 65C51 pin compatible.

maurice6502 wrote:
R/W lines is not mandatory, bus contention is not possible because both latch U1 and U3 are adressed throug U4 ; trying to write to read only address (U1 device) dont crash anything

how does that work though? if BA0-2 is set to 001, CS0 is pulled low, and BO2 (PHI2) is pulled high, then U4's Y1 output (PB1_RXREG) is pulled low, causing U1 to pass it's incoming data onto the CPU's data bus. but if the CPU is currently writing as well, then you have potentially colliding data on the bus (which doesn't necessarily crash, but should still be avoided).
at what point in the circuit is that being prevented without checking the CPU's R/W pin?

maurice6502 wrote:
To avoid any error at 230Kbaud 18,432,000 Hz is the maximum clock below 20Mhz ; using oscillator insthead resonator should be possible to overclock AVR at 22,118,400 hz with zero error

interesting! i knew AVRs generate the baud rate internally, but i thought they just had a hardwired oscillator for that and didn't make use of any external clock. i guess it makes sense that they do use faster external oscillators.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next