6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:40 pm 

Hi all,
A bit O/T, but I couldn't decide to post either in "Programming" or in "Hardware"...

Daryl R has created a few projects using the ATmega324p PDIP-40 chip to perform interfacing, etc. I have quite a few of those devices and I wanted to play with the IDE interface that Daryl created (for his SBC2.5 IIRC). I have his files, but I can't compile using the standard avr-gcc toolchain(*) (I work on linux).

Would anyone out there have the last version of avrasm2.exe that they can send me? I know that Microchip support the AVR chips in their latest IDE, but that IDE simply refuses to install under Wine. AFAIK I only need the assembler - the linker and avrdude that I already have should be OK.

Thanks in advance.

(*) Using the "supported" avr-gcc toolchain would require a complete rewrite of all of the sourcefiles *AND* processor definitions, as the gcc tools have a completely different syntax than that of avrasm2...

Thanks for the file proposals, as of 10/09/23 I now have the file and everything compiles perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:34 pm 

Even though you got the files, I know that there has been avrasm2 for macOS in Version 2.05 of the full XC8 compiler installation package for MPLAB X. I am actually using it for all my AVR development. I know that they removed the macOS version after 2.10 form the package, I have no idea why. I assume that the linux installation package has the Linux version. You can find the download archives of all installers at

https://www.microchip.com/en-us/tools-resources/archives/mplab-ecosystem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 am 

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I have used the Microchip archive pages for other reasons recently. The whole setup, between new and old Microchip technologies - and now the AVR devices - has become quite a headache. Between maintaining products that I developed 20yrs ago based on the 'old' mid-range PICs, to developing new ideas with the new 32-bit family -AND- the same type of extremes with the AVR families (although the time-span is "only" 10yrs) my poor development PC is becoming a myriad of development suites and self-written "how to" procedures to help my ageing brain remember how to get it all working.

To make things worse, I'm now learning about SPLD/CPLD logic devices - and I'm starting to see the same problems there also!

I suppose it keeps me off the streets...

Greetings to all, especially those who experience the same challenges!