6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:03 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
You could drive a printer from it, as has been done on UNIXish systems since time immemorial.  :D  I have one of the serial ports on my POC unit linked to one of my Linux boxes, which is how I transfer software to the POC unit.  Unlike USB, TIA-232 really is the “universal serial bus.”
Yeah! I remember one old thread where people were using POS (not POC! :) ) receipt printers kind of like mini-teletype machines. Hooking one of those up to the serial port for out put would be a cool retro-project.

Quote:
Quote:
I’d like to run WOZMON, too.

Why?  In its day WozMon was okay, however, better monitors exist.  If it were me planning software for your machine, I’d be using Jim Butterfield’s Supermon.  Porting it to most 6502 systems is relatively painless and in the process, you gain more functionality than available in WozMon.[/color]
Why not? Or, so what? WozMon is small, relatively easy to understand, thoroughly analyzed (in fact, Ben Eater has 3 videos about it), historically important, and, as John Lyons would say, "intrinsically interesting." The hour or two it took me yesterday afternoon to add it to my system image and tweak it to work with my hardware configuration was not misspent time. I already have a somewhat clunky and more full-featured monitor (PAGIMON). Of course, it's 4+ times the size of WozMon...

If we're talking about "ultimate" software plans (to loop back to Chad's question), in the long run I want to go through the XINU book and write a real mini-UNIX for it. And also go through "Threaded Interperetive Langages" to write a FORTH-like system for it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:11 pm 

> intrinsically interesting
a fine phrase!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:14 pm 

Paganini wrote:
I remember one old thread where people were using POS (not POC! :) ) receipt printers kind of like mini-teletype machines.

It's at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1536 .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12