6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:42 am 

Proxy wrote:
also instead of a slow external clock with an NE555 or similar, you can just use the arduino as the clock source so it's always fully in sync

A great idea! However, my knowledge of the arduino is even more limited than my knowledge of the 6502 family. I'll see if I can figure out how to do this once my '816 project is running. It would be great for anyone with the same sort of problem Im working through. The Ben Eater breadboard clock is great, but very sensitive to noise as I found earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:00 pm 

BDD has agreed to my republishing some of his schematics for his POC V1 and below are those (partial) schematics with my additions. My modifications to the original design were to the RAM (71256SA) and the serial I/O (65c51). I don't have a RT clock (yet), but I'll add one when I get the basic implementation working. I'll also swap out the 65c51 for an 88c92 for serial I/O.

This shows the various selects and the Read/Write qualification:
Attachment:
SelectsAndRWQual.jpg
SelectsAndRWQual.jpg [ 324.66 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

This shows the selects connecting to the memory and ACIA:
Attachment:
MemoryACIA.jpg
MemoryACIA.jpg [ 433.23 KiB | Viewed 261 times ]

In the diagrams, I've omitted the data, address and serial I/O connections to the RAM and ACIA, but they are connected as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:04 pm 

If you've enjoyed Ben's videos and are starting a 65C816 project you might want to give my own series about this processor a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFXc0R ... jHKi3f1kqT

Notably, I talk about designing the glue logic in more detail than Ben did, I build a pretty nice clock circuit, and I also built a more advanced Arduino debugger. There are a ton of useful info in those videos. (of course I'm biased :-) )

Good luck with your build!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:06 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:
If you've enjoyed Ben's videos and are starting a 65C816 project you might want to give my own series about this processor a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFXc0R ... jHKi3f1kqT

Notably, I talk about designing the glue logic in more detail than Ben did, I build a pretty nice clock circuit, and I also built a more advanced Arduino debugger. There are a ton of useful info in those videos. (of course I'm biased :-) )

Still working my way through those videos, but I've enjoyed the detail you've gone into on the timings for those videos. Very informative!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:18 pm 

akohlbecker wrote:

I agree with Yuri, very interesting videos and great to share. I just subscribed to your channel!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:36 am 

Thank you both!