6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 65816 Data/Bus Pins.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:24 am 

wayfarer wrote:
Yes I went through a lot of that, seems that everyone has their own ideas about a 32-bit 65xx chip.

We look forward to the day when custom ICs are as cheap and quick as custom PCBs.  In 1990 at work, even a postage-stamp-sized PCB was $450 for first article, which is like over a thousand dollars today.  Now first article may be $20, and each board after that is a few cents for something so small.  Not many years later, we had a multilayer board that was something like $2600 for first article.  Now those have come within reach of hobbyists too.  Short of custom silicon however, we do have FPGAs available to us.

Quote:
to me, backwards compatibility with the 6502 and 65816, using the same instruction set, etc are pretty crucial.
a 32-bit 65816, or 65xx32 or such should be an extension of the 6502 and 65816 instruction addressing and thought process.

Keeping the 65 flavor like that would be what makes it a 65-family processor.  Apple's requirements for the '816 to be able to run '02 code however seems to have kept the '816 from being as good as it could have been.  WDC designed the 65832 also, apparently for such a market, but Apple went to the 68000, so the 65832 was never made.  The '832 had an 8-bit data bus.  Someone asked Bill Mench in a symposium a couple of years ago what a 32-bit 6502 would look like, and he replied, "ARM."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:11 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
8 Pins, 26-33 on this pic I viewed here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... E&usqp=CAU

are D/B 0-7, shared or 'multiplexed'? pins that are both data and address pins.
this raises numerous ideas about the PC-MP/MC notion of video or other data over address pins instead of data pins.

for the moment however, I want to focus on the various circuits that break these pins out into two distinct paths, one for data and one for addressing. they are written in the datasheets. if it is that simple, is there an IC package with this already done, and if so, why not?

This is the Bank Address Latching Circuit from W65C816S datasheet that drogon mentioned:
Attachment:
Bank Address Latching Circuit.png
Bank Address Latching Circuit.png [ 38.56 KiB | Viewed 840 times ]
There isn't a dedicated IC to break it out but that's probably for the best. It would probably cost tens of dollars whereas a couple of 74 series ICs have probably cost me not much more than a dollar and I've just dropped them in and forgotten about them.

If you're using a clock oscillator running at twice your clock speed and running it through a 74x74 flip-flip to get a nice 50/50 duty cycle then you will already have the inverse clock from /Q and will not need the inverter. In my case I need a 74LVC4245* to do voltage translation as the '816 is the only IC I have that is at 5V CMOS voltage levels - everything else is 3.3V TTL voltage levels - so I needed a '245 anyway. That leaves only the '573 as a bit of a nuisance.

Adrien Kohlbecker speaks about the latching circuit in his first two videos Bank Address Latch and Data Buffering on the '816. He goes into quite a lot of depth in the timing requirements too.

* Actually I used a 74ALVC164245 because apparently I'm a masochist who likes soldering 48 pin 0.5mm pitched leads :| . It's a 16 bit voltage translator and I used the other 8 bits for up-translating the interrupt lines and PHI2 or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 pm 

AndrewP wrote:
This is the Bank Address Latching Circuit from W65C816S datasheet that drogon mentioned...

Check out this bank latch version from a 1994 edition of the 65C816 data sheet I recently discovered while cleaning out a file cabinet in my office:

Attachment:
File comment: 65C816 Bank Latch w/RDY Control
816_bank_latch_old.gif
816_bank_latch_old.gif [ 124.91 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]

I also have a 1991 data sheet that I’ve scanned into a PDF (attached), which describes the 65C802, as well as the 816, but makes no reference whatsoever to a bank latch circuit. I guess you were expected to dream up your own design by staring at the data sheet and trying to guess what was going on. :D

I can only imagine what 65C816 data sheets from the 1980s must’ve look like. I’m suspecting poor-quality documentation likely hampered the acceptance of the 816 by anyone other than Apple.

Attachment:
File comment: 1991 Edition of the 65C816 Data Sheet
65c816_1991.pdf [4.25 MiB]
Downloaded 25 times

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:43 pm 

So the shared data pins, they are clearly R/W depending on what they are doing at the time, and the rest of the data pins are R/W; what about the rest of the address pins?

I know its a silly notion, I just want to make sure, the address pins always assert a voltage, they always write, they never are selected or driven or use to read by the 65816/6502 correct?
you cannot use the CPU to read from address pins(except the shared pins when in data cycle), and what happens if say, you try?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:08 pm 

Address pins are output only. There's nothing you can do to read from the CPU from them. You can't try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:12 am 

I am greatly leaning towards following/implementing/using the ISA/PCMCIA/PCI/CF standards for busses.

ISA 8-bit pin maps to 6502 I think, ISA 16-bit and PCMCIA/PC-CARD/Cardbus to the 65816 I think.
Another way to look at these is 1 or 2 Ports of a 6522, etc. While the PCI is 32 bit and I am uncertain if it will function (that is any controllers for it) if run under 33MHz, there may be ways to offer a 32 bit bus.
PCMCIA and ISA are both suited to 6502 and 65816 devices at first look.

Any caveats implementing ISA in 8 bit for 6502 (and 6522 and a few others) and RAM, or a 16 bit ISA for a 65816 etc?

I am planning to make a schematic or diagram of a 6502 and an 8 bit ISA slot.
This is the AT Bus. I am also looking at Lee Davison's IDE work here, as that is basically AT on a cable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:54 am 

wayfarer wrote:
So the shared data pins, they are clearly R/W depending on what they are doing at the time, and the rest of the data pins are R/W; what about the rest of the address pins?

D0-D7 is “multiplexed,” not “shared.” “Multiplexed” means different signals are present during the two clock phases. The bank latch separates the A16-A23 address component from data by opening only when Ø2 is low. The other multiplexed output is M/X, which indicates in real time the state of the m and x bits in the status register—m is present during Ø2 low. As with capturing A16-A23, latches are required in order to use M/X.

The 816 always emits A16-A23 on D0-D7 during Ø2 low, i.e., D0-D7 are always outputs when the clock is low, regardless of the state of RWB. This occurs tBAS nanoseconds after the fall of the clock. A0-A15, VDA and VPA become valid tADS nanoseconds after the fall of the clock. According to the data sheet, tBAS is slightly longer (worst case) than tADS. It’s kind of screwy and I am inclined to think the data sheet is in error, as according to it, the 816 should barely function at 14 MHz. However, WDC advised me that production testing is at 20 MHz. My POC V1.2 unit ran fine at 20 MHz and others have run their 816 machines even faster.

Quote:
I know its a silly notion, I just want to make sure, the address pins always assert a voltage, they always write, they never are selected or driven or use to read by the 65816/6502 correct?

A0-A15 are always outputs, unless the BE (bus enable) input is low, in which case, A0-A15, D0-D7 and RWB are hi-Z (BE has no effect on other outputs, e.g., MLB). RDY is bi-directional. All of this is covered in the 816’s data sheet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:02 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
I get you, it is not a bad chip, its just locked at 8MHz and not what I need right now.

'265s starts at 32768 hz, looks for external routines to JMP to up to three times, and if not found, it continues executing internal ROM, that is able to detect several clock speeds so it can configure its internal serial port to a bps setting that can be in sync with standard bps speeds.

*BUT*

If an external routine is found, it JMP there and the programmer is free to disable all '265s internal stuff and keep the 65816 core, that can use the 16MB with no external chips at all.

With "by disabling the internal stuff" I mean that the hardware designer must provide all the chips needed to have a working computer, like any other 65xx computer would need.

Also, the fact that the '265s is rated 8mhz means, as previously said, that at WDC they tested it up to that clock speed, but it don't stop a hardware designer to try to clock it higher.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:55 pm 

tokafondo wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
I get you, it is not a bad chip, its just locked at 8MHz and not what I need right now.

'265s starts at 32768 hz, looks for external routines to JMP to up to three times, and if not found, it continues executing internal ROM, that is able to detect several clock speeds so it can configure its internal serial port to a bps setting that can be in sync with standard bps speeds....
Also, the fact that the '265s is rated 8mhz means, as previously said, that at WDC they tested it up to that clock speed, but it don't stop a hardware designer to try to clock it higher.

awesome, I might look into using the '256 for some stuff. I see the chips do not just come in a breakout-board they can be ordered as discrete ICs. having a few of those features available on-chip is not so bad... it just seems wasteful to have all this stuff and not be using it. I kinda, at some point, might consider using a bunch of 816s or 265s in a cluster setup, and the 16MB local to each chip can act as a cache. webpage even says it has a multiprocessor buss... I might look at that down the line :)

for a home bench, exceeding a datasheet spec is fine. overclocking is great for a user to do.

I am looking at commercial distribution on some projects and I would not send a product out that exceeds manufacturer's documentation, especially if I want a UL stamp on the board and some kind of insurance.

I am looking at a 'slow bus speed' of 6MHz, at half the 12Mhz clock a bunch of stuff wants. should be okay there. Having the d0-d7 and a16-a23 demultiplexed on board is fine, especially for solutions that use a Programmable Logic Chip, its not a lot of real estate either way. It may also lend itself to other logic chips for operating on a 32-bit bus, such as PCI

my thoughts on PCI are, since I have this alternate clock cycle with data/address pins I have to break out anyway, and if I had a 6522 on the board, it does not seem difficult to use the upper 8 address lines of the PCI buss to hold things like RAM or POM banks and other peripherals or signals from one of the nanks of the 6522 (or like a 8 bit register/latch thingy?)

Im starting 6502 on little ISA, 65816 on big ISA, and going to PCI/CF/PCMC/CardBus after that.
Im also curious about dual chips, say 65816/265 acting like a 32-bit cpu, and using 'full 32-biit PCI'.

I think 24-bit big ISA and PC/104 are probably good goals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:13 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
for a home bench, exceeding a datasheet spec is fine. overclocking is great for a user to do.

I am looking at commercial distribution on some projects and I would not send a product out that exceeds manufacturer's documentation, especially if I want a UL stamp on the board and some kind of insurance.

FWIW, UL approval has to do with safety, regarding for example fire, fumes, or other hazards.  My understanding is that it's like Europe's CE mark which indicates conformity with European health, safety, and environmental protection standards, and is not a quality indicator.  Running the processors above their rated clock speeds would not rule out getting such approvals; it's just that you'd have to do your own testing to make sure your product passes with adequate margins, unless you want a nightmare in warranty returns.

One thing I think you will have to get if you sell the computer as a finished product is FCC approval, because they don't want it interfering with neighbors' reception of AM & FM broadcast radio or TV from TV antennas (either rabbit ears or roof-mounted).  I don't know how strict they are on those things anymore because who listens to or watches those anymore.  I had to look into this in the 1990's when we started putting computers in our products, and I visited a local lab that does the testing; but at that time, it turned out that we didn't need the FCC approval for mobile applications of embedded computers.