6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 65816 Data/Bus Pins.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:26 pm 

8 Pins, 26-33 on this pic I viewed here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... E&usqp=CAU

are D/B 0-7, shared or 'multiplexed'? pins that are both data and address pins.
this raises numerous ideas about the PC-MP/MC notion of video or other data over address pins instead of data pins.

for the moment however, I want to focus on the various circuits that break these pins out into two distinct paths, one for data and one for addressing. they are written in the datasheets. if it is that simple, is there an IC package with this already done, and if so, why not?

Post subject: Re: 65816 Data/Bus Pins.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:44 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
8 Pins, 26-33 on this pic I viewed here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... E&usqp=CAU

are D/B 0-7, shared or 'multiplexed'? pins that are both data and address pins.
this raises numerous ideas about the PC-MP/MC notion of video or other data over address pins instead of data pins.

for the moment however, I want to focus on the various circuits that break these pins out into two distinct paths, one for data and one for addressing. they are written in the datasheets. if it is that simple, is there an IC package with this already done, and if so, why not?

Yes, the upper 8 address bits are multiplexed with D0:7. The reference datasheet suggests a 2-chip solution. I get away with one, but you'll likely have some sort of CPLD on your device, so you use this instead.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm 

drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
8 Pins, 26-33 are D/B 0-7, shared or 'multiplexed'? pins that are both data and address pins.
various circuits that break these pins out into two distinct paths, one for data and one for addressing.
they are written in the datasheets. if it is that simple, is there an IC package with this already done, and if so, why not?

Yes, the upper 8 address bits are multiplexed with D0:7. The reference datasheet suggests a 2-chip solution. I get away with one, but you'll likely have some sort of CPLD on your device, so you use this instead.

-Gordon

so there is no package bigger than 44 pins? no 64 pin with that already done? you must always implement a demuxing solution yourself for all 65816 chips?

no, I was going to avoid Programmable Logic Devices for the most part, beyond ROM code for each chip. I am more likely to include a socket for a memristor IC than an FPGA or CPLD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:29 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
8 Pins, 26-33 are D/B 0-7, shared or 'multiplexed'? pins that are both data and address pins.
various circuits that break these pins out into two distinct paths, one for data and one for addressing.
they are written in the datasheets. if it is that simple, is there an IC package with this already done, and if so, why not?

-Gordon

so there is no package bigger than 44 pins? no 64 pin with that already done? you must always implement a demuxing solution yourself for all 65816 chips?

That's right, and I'm surprised you don't know this already. The data sheets are freely available.

You may wish to look at the W65c265 though.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:41 pm 

I have looked through the sheets yes, more wishful thinking and hopefulness that maybe one was out of date or that no other fabricator had one available.

ok, so is there a good list of mux/demux circuitry options here on the board. as you mentioned there are options listed in the datasheet itself; you said you had a method with only one chip used? are there any other methods known for the data/address communication circuits?

Id like to understand this process a bit better, Ive read in a few places though Im not 100%.
on one half of the cycle the pins have an address on them, and on the next half of the cycle have the data for that address (or is getting it), and this switches back and forth on hi and low sides of the clock circuit?
or is this every other clock cycle?

I have been reading a lot of datasheets the last few days, Im almost ready to filter out which ones to read again. I've also been gathering books...

I'll keep reading the forums and documentation, any information on just this one aspect of the 65816 is really helpful.

As for the 65265, it does offer a basic 'core' of an mcu, however it would be superfluous to my current project. I am hoping my OS runs on it well.
The PIC Im using is going to do pretty much all the I/O beyond audio/video.
I still need to talk to it and RAM though :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:45 pm 

Quote:
or is this every other clock cycle?

Every cycle, not every other one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 am 

wayfarer wrote:
As for the 65265, it does offer a basic 'core' of an mcu, however it would be superfluous to my current project.
wayfarer, probably Gordon mentioned the '265 in response to your questions about demultiplexing.

The '265 is capable of directly outputting all 24 address lines, unlike the '816 which requires two external chips as shown in the datasheet. (In the right circumstances just an address latch alone may be sufficient, but there are some very sound reasons why the datasheet recommends a transceiver as well.)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
As for the 65265, it does offer a basic 'core' of an mcu, however it would be superfluous to my current project.
wayfarer, probably Gordon mentioned the '265 in response to your questions about demultiplexing.

The '265 is capable of directly outputting all 24 address lines, unlike the '816 which requires two external chips as shown in the datasheet. (In the right circumstances just an address latch alone may be sufficient, but there are some very sound reasons why the datasheet recommends a transceiver as well.)

-- Jeff

I get you, it is not a bad chip, its just locked at 8MHz and not what I need right now.
Is there any interest in a 65816 in a 64-pin package that is already demuxed that does not have all of the features and limitations of the 65265?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:02 pm 

why locked at 8MHz?
the 65C02/816 aren't "locked" to 14MHz either, that's just the speed WDC guarantees every chip will be able to reach. even my own C02/816 SBCs ran fine at ~20MHz.
so i'm pretty confident the '265 can get beyond it's rated 8MHz.
i did actually buy one of the 4 chips mouser had in stock because i was interested in it's functions. but so far i haven't done any work on a PCB to try it out.
of course once i start that project i'll post about it on here, since there overall seems to be few projects, and therefore not a lot of info around the chip.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:55 pm 

Proxy wrote:
why locked at 8MHz?
the 65C02/816 aren't "locked" to 14MHz either, that's just the speed WDC guarantees every chip will be able to reach. even my own C02/816 SBCs ran fine at ~20MHz.
so i'm pretty confident the '265 can get beyond it's rated 8MHz.
i did actually buy one of the 4 chips mouser had in stock because i was interested in it's functions. but so far i haven't done any work on a PCB to try it out.
of course once i start that project i'll post about it on here, since there overall seems to be few projects, and therefore not a lot of info around the chip.

https://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc ... s-chip.php
https://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc ... s-chip.php

both of these mention 8MHz Bus speeds, and the datasheets only list 1MHz and 8MHz speeds, there does not seem to be a lot of indication of clocking to say 6Mhz or 3MHz. The '265 has a lot of extra stuff on it, that will not get used in my case, so I was looking for something in the middle, really, just a 65816 in a package with the busses laid out. We might see one, and other chips get revised to, I see datasheets and revisions around the WDC site in the last few years.

I may try to do something with the '265 or '134 when I start getting to the 3d printer stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:09 pm 

wayfarer, all of these parts with S on the end can run anywhere from 0 to at least the maximum specified speed; so if you want to run at 3MHz or 6MHz, it's no problem.

When I was talking over lunch five years ago with Bill Mensch, owner of WDC, he asked me why people seemed to be shying away from the 65265.  I told him my own reluctance, and I'm sure others' too, is that it's only 8MHz max, hardly over half the speed of the '816.  His response was that it may run well above that, but they just never tried it.  I don't understand that.  Although only a portion of potential customers would need to run it at, say, 12MHz, 20MHz, whatever, to meet their performance goals, wouldn't it make sense to put your best foot forward?  And although someone may get interested in the part for a project that only needs 500kHz, the person may be keeping in the back of his mind a possible future project that will require 10 or 15MHz to meet I/O and processing deadlines, and he would be more willing to invest the time learning the part if he knew that that investment would pay off in these future projects, and he wouldn't have to start over with a microcontroller in an entirely different family.

The speeds and timings in the data sheets however are guarantees, meaning the part will do at least this well.  It may do much, much better; it's just that that's not guaranteed to.  The SuperCPU plug-in cartridge for the Commodore 64 used an '816 running at 20MHz.  816's were only guaranteed to run up to 14MHz (or maybe it was even less back then, almost 26 years ago); but whether Creative Micro Designs did their own testing on every single '816 to see if it would be dependable at 20MHz across the expected range of temperatures and other conditions, or only tested a few from each lot and found that they passed with wide margins, I don't know.  The fact remains that they were able to make a business of it.  There's also the matter that although the part may be able to run much faster, the ever-tightening timing margins may require going to lengths the typical user wouldn't be willing to go to, regarding logic and memory speeds and PCB layout restraints.  Slower speeds will be more forgiving.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:54 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
wayfarer, all of these parts with S on the end can run anywhere from 0 to at least the maximum specified speed; so if you want to run at 3MHz or 6MHz, it's no problem.

When I was talking over lunch five years ago with Bill Mensch, owner of WDC, he asked me why people seemed to be shying away from the 65265.  I told him my own reluctance, and I'm sure others' too, is that it's only 8MHz max, hardly over half the speed of the '816.  His response was that it may run well above that, but they just never tried it.  I don't understand that.  Although only a portion of potential customers would need to run it at, say, 12MHz, 20MHz, whatever, to meet their performance goals, wouldn't it make sense to put your best foot forward?  And although someone may get interested in the part for a project that only needs 500kHz, the person may be keeping in the back of his mind a possible future project that will require 10 or 15MHz to meet I/O and processing deadlines, and he would be more willing to invest the time learning the part if he knew that that investment would pay off in these future projects, and he wouldn't have to start over with a microcontroller in an entirely different family.

The speeds and timings in the data sheets however are guarantees, meaning the part will do at least this well.  It may do much, much better; it's just that that's not guaranteed to.  The SuperCPU plug-in cartridge for the Commodore 64 used an '816 running at 20MHz.  816's were only guaranteed to run up to 14MHz (or maybe it was even less back then, almost 26 years ago); but whether Creative Micro Designs did their own testing on every single '816 to see if it would be dependable at 20MHz across the expected range of temperatures and other conditions, or only tested a few from each lot and found that they passed with wide margins, I don't know.  The fact remains that they were able to make a business of it.  There's also the matter that although the part may be able to run much faster, the ever-tightening timing margins may require going to lengths the typical user wouldn't be willing to go to, regarding logic and memory speeds and PCB layout restraints.  Slower speeds will be more forgiving.

for my test bench, I totally get that, I can stick a heat sink on there with some thermal grease and a fan...
its that Im putting this in a consumer device and if I even start to think about like, a UL stamp on my pcb, I probably ought to stay within published guidelines. If a user wants to reprogram the device and overclock it, good for them ;)

Now I see that the breakout mensch computer 65134 and 65265 boards are all different than the mcu flat packs. I had these a bit confounded, ads or pictures on websites are not always clear what is what. those are chips and not boards, so I get you can run these slower. I am certainly considering the 65265 as an alternative to the PIC24. I am considering it and the '134 for 3d printers and agricultural automation. and noted, Static to, means 0 and anywhere in between up to the limit. and you can halt it and it wont lose state. understood.

While it has it's quirks and faults I adore the 6502, a computer I can almost draw. A computer one can understand mentally, completely. If I had the factory, Id be making thse chips here stateside, and likely working on my own 32-bit and higher versions of them. I wonder, are some of the newer bugs in the 6551 from the masks degrading over time, or some other reason? I would make a 65816 with the demux circuit done myself. I mean, its that easy to do right, if there was demand? there is no technical reason you could not incorporate the circuits to demux the 65816 pins on a 64-pin package?

if you get the chance, please tell Mr Mensch I hope to work with him and his company for many years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:09 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
If I had the factory, Id be making these chips here stateside, and likely working on my own 32-bit and higher versions of them.

There has been significant discussion here about that—not that technically they could compete with modern 32-bit processors, but that there would be the attraction of the 65xx simplicity, extended to wider buses and registers.  I think BigEd has a post that's a round-up of these topics; but I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment.

wayfarer wrote:
I wonder, are some of the newer bugs in the 6551 from the masks degrading over time, or some other reason?

WDC redesigned it, to be much faster than what other manufacturers had offered; but although the design simulated fine in the chip-design simulation software (which countless other manufacturers also use), there was a race condition that was not caught by this software.  WDC made the investment to get the W65C51 made, and the problem only showed up after they spent the money.  It's a rather small company, and I suppose the hardware sales volume is not enough to justify re-doing it.  They make most of their money licensing IP, not selling parts.

wayfarer wrote:
I would make a 65816 with the demux circuit done myself. I mean, its that easy to do right, if there was demand? there is no technical reason you could not incorporate the circuits to demux the 65816 pins on a 64-pin package?

or even a 48-pin DIP, which was a standard size back when the '816 originally came out.  Apparently that really ran the testing cost up somehow though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm 

Possibly you mean this thread, Garth:
Index of threads for improved 6502 and derived architectures

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:31 pm 

Yes I went through a lot of that, seems that everyone has their own ideas about a 32-bit 65xx chip.
I have my own notions. Has anyone compiled the shared features of each proposal?

to me, backwards compatibility with the 6502 and 65816, using the same instruction set, etc are pretty crucial.
a 32-bit 65816, or 65xx32 or such should be an extension of the 6502 nd 65816 instruction addressing and thought process.
to extend the ASM, I would focus on math functions and possibly return to analog computing.
some interfaces to memristors and the circuitry for statistics, calculus, algebra on a 32-bit 65xx, and the database comparator code, Ill need to study the 65xx ASM to say more... whats this about a Random Execution Engine, in the 65xx core? they just throw hex math at it from two directions and it crosses in the middle and comes out processing? Id look at some of these things, it seems like you have two planes:
one plane has the operand and data, the other plane has the address mode and operand or data, and they cross in the middle and the cells that light up get collated into bits on the other end, literally passing electric charges in a matrix through each other.
Id extend the bitwidth, keep that intact, and work on any new address modes that emerged and try to get some more math in there.

These would extend to 64-bit, though Im not certain it is really needed for most MCU, MPU work, the dsp, the DAC/ADC, the special circuits and registers can do these things. 32-bit offers enough increase in RAM and storage, it would hold the 65xx brand another 15-30 years, as it is already likely to do. building on the work in the 65265 in what looks like better multiprocessor functions (its what it says), might lead to that 32bit function.

beyond this, I would instead prepare for the big data crunch with 128-bit registers and a 256-bit or bigger accumulator. this is for searching and referencing huge archives and databases with thousands of dimensions across millions of records. big data. calculus performed on statistics and vice versa. offering chips in that range that worked on 65xx ASM would be really cool. if a few years ago we were at 2^73 or so, having 2^128th power in the near future, that worked on the 65xx 'language' would open a lot of doors, telco, power distribution, big data, machine learning.