6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:20 am 

drogon wrote:
You've just described my mobile phone. It can also send messages via a variety of means, I can tun SSH from it and it has wi-fi, bluetooth, acts as a mobile hot-spot, has a torch, multiple cameras for stills and video, fits in my pocket, runs for 3-4 days on a charge, full colour multi-touch screen, plays videos and podcasts and a million more things should I care. It cost me £130.

Good luck doing all that with a 65816.

drogon wrote:
My suspicions are that the open source community won't help you much although you may get one or 2 enthusiasts but for how long? I used to be quite active but after receiving no support from the people I was supporting and worse, demands that I support them for free, (which at one point resulted in one 10,000 email for one particular project), I withdrew everything and decided that if people want my code they can pay me for it. No-one did.

And I know I'm not the only one in recent years this has happened to.

I saw the sad tale of what happened with wiringPi. That's why when I released some code a while back I made sure the email address in the git repo was set to "roundfile@mailinator.com". Take the code, use it, modify it, do what you like with it - but don't expect me to be at your beck and call. As it says in the readme, it's provided as-is with no support and no warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:03 pm 

drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
The Integrity is a daily use computer. It plays games, ...

You've just described my mobile phone. It can also send messages via a variety of means, I can tun SSH from it and it has wi-fi, bluetooth, acts as a mobile hot-spot, has a torch, multiple cameras for stills and video, fits in my pocket, runs for 3-4 days on a charge, full colour multi-touch screen, plays videos and podcasts and a million more things should I care. It cost me £130.

A retro equivalent with bare minimal features would be a novelty but it would not be by daily use computer by any stretch.

your mobile phone was envisioned by Tesla, and it is first and foremost a screen connected to a radio for instant communication and access to the internet. In some years it will be replaced by a watch and smart glass or holograms. it is an unrepairable device with many megabytes and gigabytes of libraries and support code. creating software for it may be as easy as using a website app builder, or require gigabytes of downloads, knowledge of several languages, an interpreter, byte code and .... you get the point, coding for an android phone (much less an apple) can be a huge undertaking, and may end up being bloat ware. My phone uses more battery running radios, than anything else, hands down. My phone has a 6.xx inch screen, and a stylus. It can take dictation!

The Integrity is not a phone, or an android tablet. It is a computer. It is much closer to a switch, or a surface.
You phone does not have a lot of modules that turn it into a quality MIDI device, an oscilloscope or allow you to program industrial devices. The Integrity will. If you want radios for it, you will get a wifi link, and packet radio via HAM. I have an ARRL handbook too. WØEEE . Go miners. In my toolbox, I have vise-grips, and pliers, and socket wrenches. The cellular smartphone and the Integrity are different tools, for different purposes. Think of a smart phone as your impact driver or cordless drill, and the Integrity as an oscillating multi-tool. I used to scoff at those and call them fancy point sanders. I am building a house out on my farm, and I use that multi-tool as much or more than any other saw. I just got a sanding attachment for it, so now its also a nice point sander in addition to being a really nice adjustable plunge cut saw. Not everyone needs one, if you need one, you need one. Most everyone has a cell phone, and a cordless drill. Some people that need it, will have a multi-tool, and the Integrity.

Quote:
wayfarer wrote:
I am hoping to attract some Open Source developers and get a community going, so right now, that is you all.

It might be worth while having a look at the open source "community" right now.

And look very closely at other similar projects that feature the '816 - Foenix, Neon816 ... Are the only 2 in recent times I know of. Also in the 6502 world; the Commander X16, Mega65, Various PET clones, ... and see how they're getting on and what their communities are up to.

My suspicions are that the open source community won't help you much although you may get one or 2 enthusiasts but for how long? I used to be quite active but after receiving no support from the people I was supporting and worse, demands that I support them for free, (which at one point resulted in one 10,000 email for one particular project), I withdrew everything and decided that if people want my code they can pay me for it. No-one did.

And I know I'm not the only one in recent years this has happened to.

Totally agree. Ive been looking into the existing projects for awhile.

Quote:
Quote:
I see no reason to not include both a slide rule, and an antikythera fpu, and a straight edge and compass (divider)... maybe a string, strings are really useful when building... in our fancy Relic technology bridge.

Don't forget a box of these too: https://www.discworldemporium.com/produ ... pills-box/ :-)

-Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:46 pm 

drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
The Integrity is a daily use computer. It plays games, makes music, has e-books, runs code, and has an incredible programmable calculator.

Two things the modern mobile phone can’t do are brew coffee or tea, and infuse its user with a modicum of common sense. If anyone is ever able to add the latter feature to a so-called smart phone, my hat is off to them.

For the coffee or tea, old-style technology will suffice. :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
The Integrity is a daily use computer. It plays games, makes music, has e-books, runs code, and has an incredible programmable calculator.

Two things the modern mobile phone can’t do are brew coffee or tea, and infuse its user with a modicum of common sense. If anyone is ever able to add the latter feature to a so-called smart phone, my hat is off to them.

For the coffee or tea, old-style technology will suffice. :D

you describe a Wise Phone, not a Smart Phone.
Invent one and be a millionaire!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:43 am 

wayfarer wrote:
drogon wrote:
wayfarer wrote:
The Integrity is a daily use computer. It plays games, ...

A retro equivalent with bare minimal features would be a novelty but it would not be by daily use computer by any stretch.

your mobile phone was envisioned by Tesla, and it is first and foremost a screen connected to a radio for instant communication and access to the internet. In some years it will be replaced by a watch and smart glass or holograms. it is an unrepairable device with many megabytes and gigabytes of libraries and support code. creating software for it may be as easy as using a website app builder, or require gigabytes of downloads, knowledge of several languages, an interpreter, byte code and .... you get the point, coding for an android phone (much less an apple) can be a huge undertaking, and may end up being bloat ware. My phone uses more battery running radios, than anything else, hands down. My phone has a 6.xx inch screen, and a stylus. It can take dictation!

The Integrity is not a phone, or an android tablet. It is a computer. It is much closer to a switch, or a surface.
You phone does not have a lot of modules that turn it into a quality MIDI device, an oscilloscope or allow you to program industrial devices. The Integrity will. If you want radios for it, you will get a wifi link, and packet radio via HAM. I have an ARRL handbook too. W0WEE. Go miners. In my toolbox, I have vise-grips, and pliers, and socket wrenches. The cellular smartphone and the Integrity are different tools, for different purposes. Think of a smart phone as your impact driver or cordless drill, and the Integrity as an oscillating multi-tool. I used to scoff at those and call them fancy point sanders. I am building a house out on my farm, and I use that multi-tool as much or more than any other saw. I just got a sanding attachment for it, so now its also a nice point sander in addition to being a really nice adjustable plunge cut saw. Not everyone needs one, if you need one, you need one. Most everyone has a cell phone, and a cordless drill. Some people that need it, will have a multi-tool, and the Integrity.

You may be missing the point - for me at least -

I do not want that. I do not want a hand held device that I can write code on, use as an oscilloscope, midi controller, etc.. My hand held computing device may be primarily a communicator but it's also a multi function computer and you should not underestimate what Android and Apple phones are capable of.

As for Android coding? It's not that hard these days. Downloading GB of libraries? So-what. It's 2023 and SSDs are affordable and unmetered Internet is cheap. I've been doing the computing thing since 1978 and sometimes - just sometimes, I get fed-up of the same old "scoffing" of "oh, we did that in 10 bytes in page 3". Sod it. I know I can use a 555 as a timer, but an 8-pin microcontroller is cheaper and uses less battery. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be. We're a dying breed.

https://hackaday.com/2021/12/15/you-can ... -of-a-555/

As for what an Android phone can do... I think you need to re-evaluate their capabilities. My android phone can:

• Play Doom.
  • There are over 100 Android MIDI controller and player apps on Google Play Store should I need them.
  • Dozens of Oscilloscope and Spectrum analyser apps.
  • Any number of graphing/analytical calculators.
  • Programming Industrial controllers? Well, there are serial terminals, there are PLC programmer apps. That handle ladder logic, etc. even have some 3D modelling software that will talk to 3D printers and other CNC devices.
  • I don't particularly want a stylus as I have nice multi-touch screen that lets me pinch and zoom, however I do have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monteverde-Tou ... B00EYNN0UG it has 2 screwdrivers, spirit level and a ruler on it too. Oh and it also writes, but I don't care for that. Wet ink and dead tree technology. Eww.
  • For dictation, I have a nice recorder app. too. It also records the phone calls I make. Very handy.

I'm looking forward to my holograms.

I know this doesn't help your case, but I have concerns - the same as myself and others have posted about grand projects that have appeared here in the past; It's too big. Start small. Get some basic working hardware first. Write some code for it to get a feel for it all yourself before you commit to those 1000 units.... I really would like to see some working hardware, but I fear this is just going to end up too complex a project to manage or even write code for.

And just for fun, I thought I'd look at one app. to see how it might fare on pure '816 hardware: The dictation machine. Lets do the sums for good old "Telephone quality" audio. 8 bits, 8000 times a second. That will fill a 64KB bank of RAM in 8 seconds. 2 minutes per megabyte. We can compress it - but the '816 doesn't have enough CPU for that - not in real-time, anyway.

And as part of my afternoons fun, I decided to see how fast my BCPL system could fill 64K of RAM... Well I was impressed - to fill 64000 bytes, reading and writing byte at a time took 3.5 seconds, so not too bad - at least it could keep up, but that's literally reading a byte, storing and increment the pointer. In reality you'd do this under interrupt from assembly though, but you'll run out of RAM quite quickly. Bear in-mind my system runs at 16Mhz - your target is slower.

However it does raise an interesting point: Your comments above imply that you want a device that is self-hosting. ie. it can edit, compile and run code directly on the device. That was my goal when I set out to make my own '816 device after I made my own 65C02 device - which was self hosting with BASIC and 16-bit BCPL. (And Forth, Comal, etc.)

Forth is do-able for those who like Forth. Finding anyone proficient in Prolog may be a challenge. There are no C compilers (that I know of) that will currently run on 6502/65816 hardware (there were in the past but no-one has to my knowledge ported them to an independent platform). Same for Pascal - we have UCSD but do we have the ability to port it to a new '816 system? So that leaves just two; BASIC and BCPL. We know we can write an operating system in either - Acorn did it with their BBC Basic on the Acorn Communicator (65816) and the Acorn Archimedes (the Arthur OS running on the original ARM based system), and I've written a BCPL operating for the '816 but what else?

Anyway, that's it from me. I look forward to seeing working hardware and when I do, I may look at porting my BCPL OS to it if it's suitable.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:32 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

In fact the reverse is usually true - they are good at removing any common sense which might once have been present. Such as when people nearly get run over because they're so engrossed in whatever is on their phone screen that they just walk into a road without looking. And believing all sorts of garbage which pops up on twitter or whatever their favourite social media app is without asking themselves whether it's remotely plausible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 pm 

kernelthread wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

In fact the reverse is usually true - they are good at removing any common sense which might once have been present. Such as when people nearly get run over because they're so engrossed in whatever is on their phone screen that they just walk into a road without looking. And believing all sorts of garbage which pops up on twitter or whatever their favourite social media app is without asking themselves whether it's remotely plausible.

Karma was 14. Her mother, Heather was my age, they were friends of my dad's, from his side of town.
Karma was struck by a train at high speeds, she walked in front of it not seeing it while playing minecraft on her phone.
This was about, 3-4 years ago now. I remember helping them dig up their yard for a spring garden.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:19 pm 

kernelthread wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

I’ve yet to find a good use for a so-called smart phone, or anything such as what wayfarer is proposing (which I don’t think will be practical running on a 65C816 at any speed). What I do have is a good, old-fashioned, 2G flip phone (a Samsung Rugby, which your average urban ape won’t find attractive enough to steal) that excels at the one thing for which I need a phone: vocal communication. I don’t do text with it, I don’t run apps with it, I don’t GPS with it, etc. I don’t need or care about any of that crap.

Perhaps if youngsters and many adults got their faces out of their phones, spent less time on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter et al and instead invested that time in acting like functioning human beings instead of mindless drones, we’d have a lot fewer societal problems.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:28 pm 

oof, BDD sounding like a stereotypical old person going "kids these days...". the previous generations always complain about the current one, that's pretty much a constant in history.
also, don't be like that man, we young(er) people are nice i swear. :lol:
i didn't even have a phone until i was like 16, and i only got it because i moved out and needed a way to communicate with my parents.
and honestly, please don't blame kids for their behavior, blame the parents that are supposed to raise them. or don't, because i'd imagine raising kids is really damn difficult as everything is constantly changing. so it's pretty much impossible to always be aware of any potential pitfalls that your kids might fall into as those didn't exist when you were a kid yourself.

anyways, i think i gotta agree with the consensus that this project seems a bit too ambitious for how small/nieche the target community is.
then also having the whole thing self contained is a lot of extra work that you pretty much have to do alone to kickstart the community around it, and even then it's not guaranteed that people will actually buy into the platform...

I really don't wish for you to put a lot of time, money, and effort into a project like this only for it to end up dying immediately after relase...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:41 am 

It does feel very strongly to me, wayfarer, given what you've said in this thread and in several others in the few weeks since you showed up, that you don't have the expertise or the experience for a project that's so ambitious. It also seems like you don't realise this, although several people have hinted at it.

There's nothing wrong or unusual about lacking expertise or experience - we all have to start somewhere - but when there's a journey, there might be a choice of routes, and in this case, it's well understood that it's best to start simple. If you start out with the assumption that there's a lot to learn, you can feel positive about starting from basics and building up your knowledge.

This applies to anyone - we see a fair number of ambitious paper designs as first attempts, and generally speaking things don't go well. Building up from a solid foundation is a much better idea, and accepting that your first build won't be your final build, and your first design should come after your first build, would be a great start.

In your case, I think this all applies even more, because your stated aim is not just to build an ambitious system, and not just to build it in quantity, but to crowdfund it. You should ask who might crowdfund such an offering, and what questions they might ask themselves before putting up money. For myself, I put money in when the person or people have some solid credibility and I have reasons for thinking they might well succeed. But unfortunately your writings here have shown - in my view - that you don't really know much and you don't even realise how much you don't know. That's fine, but it's not great for crowdfunding.

I seriously suggest you start from basics: specifically, build a known-good simple design, such as Grant Searle's, or any of several others, and write some software for it. Even getting as far as blinking an LED is in fact a substantial step forward.

I don't mean anything negative by any of this, and I do apologise if I seem to be negative, or if I have somehow entirely misunderstood your experience and expertise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:10 pm 

wayfarer, I've been reluctant to speak up, and I do wish you well. But Ed has said what I was already thinking. Every paragraph of his post makes a solid point.

It's possible he & I are both misguided, but if so then by now you should be experiencing a surge of endorsement and support from those eager to participate in your massively comprehensive project. :|

I do encourage you to continue on your journey, but you'll find it best to progress by steps, not leaps. This'll be a better strategy for harnessing your apparently boundless energy! So, consider what's been said, do have fun, and please keep us posted!

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:32 pm 

wayfarer wrote:
Project "Integrity"

Standalone Core Screen Unit
Attachment:
bitmap.png

Quote:
“A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time”
Shigeru Miyamoto

This is a long time project of mine I have been working on here and there since the 90s when I was a kid holding a cordless phone in my folk's kitchen. This is a modular portable device comprised of various units:

Financials and Open Hardware Standards

Without having read the thread, how many of the building blocks have you done before?

In my experience combining 'known working' design building blocks massively increase the chance of success or decrease development time. I've seen people try to get more than they can swallow and the projects failed.

Don't get me wrong this is an impressive design and I wish I could see it working (maybe when I finish the thread ;-)

Edit: after reading the thread I see my technical concerns have been said already, and I can only agree with the advice to start simple.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 pm 

I will join in the chorus by saying it's a great project but needs to be done in modules, to make the project not just manageable, but even possible.  I've been at this for decades, and that truth still keeps jumping out of closets at me.  I recommend getting something relatively simple working first but which leaves room for expansion one way or another to move on to the next step, whether by plug-in modules, or in the case of wire-wrap, more room on the board to add things after the basics are working.

My current workbench computer came about this way.  In its original form, it had the basics I needed at the time and I built it up pretty quickly, but 40% of the board was blank.  That portion gradually got filled in later, with more ICs, plus more connectors for more kinds of things and for the mezzanine as well, and then I added the front panel.  I was planning the next greater workbench computer starting at least 25 years ago, but I kept finding ways to expand and improve what I had, which delayed the need for the next one.  Experience with the existing one also kept modifying my goals for the next one towards something that would be more practical than what I originally envisioned for it.

I know that if the final goal is a thin-ish tablet or even the form factor of the TRS-80 Model 100, you can't be having plug-in modules sticking way up off the main board in the final product; but I think these will have to be allowed in the development process when you're experimenting and getting everything going, before merging them all into one main board.  The production board will probably have connectors around the edges for the user to plug things in through openings in the case.

Taking this approach should greatly increase the chance of success, and will make incremental successes at getting various portions going more encouraging.

There are companies that make custom cases without tooling, by taking standard, off-the-shelf (OTS) cases and doing milling, gluing, and other operations on them.  Each piece will be more expensive of course, but you avoid the up-front cost of getting the mold made, meaning that for low volumes, you'll come out ahead.  Here are a couple:
https://toolless.com/
https://envplastics.com/
and there's another I'm thinking of that I'll come back and add if I can think of search terms that'll find it.  Your own web search may turn up more of course—these are just ones I came across some years back.  Actually I have quite a lot of enclosure manufacturers' sites bookmarked on this computer, and I suppose that if I were to check them all again, I'd find that many of them now do custom work without molds.

I also agree that people will be more willing to help fund something they can see is working and just needs some financial help to get it into a compact case with a nice keyboard; that is, that the electronics and software are working (demonstrated in a video), but the only barrier now is the cost of gearing up for attractive packaging.  Potential customers will probably be in it for their love of the 65's and/or their desire to customize in ways that they cannot customize standard commercially available consumer electronics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:30 pm 

I have to echo what has already opined. You need to be realistic about the current state of your knowledge and skill—as well as the market potential of your project.

As we have suggested many times, you should begin by building a basic system along the lines of what Garth describes in his primer. That will give you something concrete on which to learn the electronics, as well as how to write, test and debug 6502 machine code. From that, you will gain insight that will direct you to the next step.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:34 pm 

P.S. I do believe the 65C816 has much more potential than has been realized. However, making it perform at the level at which people currently expect handheld electronic gadgets to perform is, in my opinion, not realistic. At best, the 816 is good for 6-10 MIPS, assuming a 20 MHz Ø2 rate. That is well below the capabilities of contemporary ARM MPUs, and their derivatives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next