6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 pm 

I'm quickly knocking together a PCB for a simple helper tool. And when I came to lay out the PCB itself I realised the order of connections between two components needed to be reversed. So I went back to the schematic and impatiently made the change you see in the picture.

It works, and this is a schematic I'll almost certainly never look at again after the boards are ordered, let alone share.

The OCD in me tells me to fix this. But the artist in me kinda likes it. What do you think?

Attachments:
wacky_schematic.png
wacky_schematic.png [ 354.75 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:21 pm 

It looks like the schematic of my brain.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:07 pm 

Does the CAD let you just turn the resistor network over? (CAD limitations like that are one of the reasons I still do my schematics by hand.)

Edit, just to add something without doing another post: Quite often, in order to make the schematic more clear and easy to look at by straightening out the connecting lines and reducing the number of elbows in them, I want to change the order of, or spacing between, pins around an IC in the schematic. Schematic-capture software generally won't let you do that without making it a new schematic component.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Does the CAD let you just turn the resistor network over? (CAD limitations like that are one of the reasons I still do my schematics by hand.)

In Kicad you just press X or Y to flip a component in an axis. I always press the wrong one first though!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:20 pm 

I won't mention the hassles of trying to read a schematic in color. :( It looks as though some connections are missing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:24 pm 

gfoot wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:

In Kicad you just press X or Y to flip a component in an axis. I always press the wrong one first though!

I JUST learned that yesterday btw, super handy, better than trying to rotate everything!

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 am 

gfoot wrote:

Dammit! I didn’t know that. Would have been so much easier.

[Edit] Just tried it, and it worked a treat, although I think the KiCad devs have the use of X and Y backwards. Y seems to flip in the horizontal axis, which I think of as the X axis. But no matter - it does the job, although the schematic is significantly more boring now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:04 pm 

speculatrix wrote:
gfoot wrote:

[Edit] Just tried it, and it worked a treat, although I think the KiCad devs have the use of X and Y backwards. Y seems to flip in the horizontal axis, which I think of as the X axis. But no matter - it does the job, although the schematic is significantly more boring now.

Perhaps the keys refer to the axis of flipping/reflecting, rather than what is being flipped/reflected. If you flip across the Y axis, you're reversing the X values. If you flip across the X axis, you're reversing the Y values.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:13 pm 

Sean wrote:
speculatrix wrote:
gfoot wrote:

Perhaps the keys refer to the axis of flipping/reflecting, rather than what is being flipped/reflected. If you flip across the Y axis, you're reversing the X values. If you flip across the X axis, you're reversing the Y values.

Being a math teacher, this conversation is hilarious!

Last edited by sburrow on Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:55 pm 

speculatrix wrote:
gfoot wrote:

One of my beefs with KiCad is it's relatively poor documentation, which is why I haven't done much with it. KiCad reflects the mantra of software developers: "Programmers write code, not prose."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:26 pm 

They have just released Kicad 6, which apparently makes the schematic editor behave more like the PCB editor - so this has probably changed now.

I haven't tried it yet... Relearning is hard!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:37 am 

gfoot wrote:
Relearning is hard!

At age 16 my brain was super-efficient, and I could tackle new subjects and juggle them with ease. At age 56, uhh, not so much.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:19 pm 

gfoot wrote:
They have just released Kicad 6, which apparently makes the schematic editor behave more like the PCB editor - so this has probably changed now.

I haven't tried it yet... Relearning is hard!

I've just downloaded it. I've only played with the new version briefly, but it does seem like they're improved the UI somewhat. For example, on my Mac I can now click & drag symbols without having to press M first. Also, dragging a footprint in the PCB editor also drags attached tracks. And I think they've changed the logic of the X & Y commands in the schematic editor – so maybe they heard me!

Like I say, I've only played with it briefly, but as software UX goes I think they've definitely managed to propel KiCad into the late 1990s – which is an improvement.