6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:55 am 

I've been greatly inspired by the Cody Computer's 3D printed keyboard and the 256 key Extra Large Keyboard to the extent that I purchased a small quantity of keyboard switches, designed a 16*16 matrix NES/SNES/Gigatron keyboard controller and investigated the feasibility of Lego keyboard buttons. Unfortunately, Lego keyboards aren't feasible. However, a Lego computer case is most definitely feasible. Likewise for a matching Lego mouse.

Many people lament the demise of Radio Shack, Frys, Maplin and similar retailers. In particular, people lament the electronics project boxes which were widely available from such retailers. As a substitute, I've been using plastic ice cream tubs and I punch holes wherever necessary with scissors. When I make reference to a premium project box, that's due to the box describing the quality of its previous contents. Although such a box makes a project splash-proof and discourages gerfingerpoken (and is therefore approximately IP22), the boxes are distinctly less rigid than the traditional project boxes. Furthermore, a friend said that electronics inside an ice cream tub looks unprofessional. After purchasing a significant quantity of imitation Lego for the purpose of making a common style of computer case, my friend said "Now you've gone the other way."

Few of us have access to injection molding and the majority of us who have access to a 3D printer do so via communal facilities, such as a makerspace. However, toy construction bricks form a highly modular, interchangeable, injection molded system which is available from multiple manufacturers - and the result is quite acceptable. Also note that Lego and 3D printing is not mutually exclusive and that one of the most common uses of a 3D printer is to make bespoke Lego bricks. This is faster, cheaper and more reliable than printing everything. I have a large number of further tips. Hopefully, the advances that I've made over two months can be replicated within two hours.

Lego has its own terminology, although it is far easier to understand than many of the topics found on the 6502 Forum. Anyone who understands SBC [Single Board Computer] will immediately appreciate MOC [My Own Creation]. Some of the abbreviations are whimsical. A personal favorite is SNOT [Studs Not On Top]. Lego, MegaBlocks and the other compatible construction bricks all have 1.6mm thick walls and 8mm dot pitch. This is approximately 3 dots per inch. Official Lego, at retail price, is approximately three cents per dot for small, flat brick and somewhat cheaper as sizes increase. Some official bricks are available in, I believe, 30 colors nowadays. Unofficial Lego is approximately 1/3 of the price and the smallest pieces are available in 96 colors. This is for "pixel art" which is very much like cross-stitching or mosaicing but with toy construction bricks.

I purchased a range of flat base-plates all the way up to 32*32 dots. 50*50 is also widely available but was wasn't required. With the exception of the 50*50 base-plates, many of the large pieces are powers of two in 1:1 or 2:1 ratios. Therefore, my original plan was to purchase a variety of small pieces for functional and decorative purposes and also purchase 8*8, 8*16, 16*16, 16*32 and 32*32 plates. My original plan was to make cuboids with two or more blank faces and then sub-divide the remaining sides with successive binary approximations around holes for power switches, fan vents, SNES keyboard/joystick connectors, storage media slots (via 65SIB) and indicator lights.

I've tried various techniques for gluing Lego compatible plates together. I thought that I might have to make a bamboo frame and use silicone sealant. Thankfully not. I thought the PVA wood glue would be suitable. However, it takes days for it to dry properly. Then is fails easily and requires further gluing. The best technique that I've found is to tape panels into an approximate arrangement. Then use tack across the edges; preferably with a piece of tack which is the size and shape of a runner bean. Then tack the corners for a more exact match and to prevent lateral skew. Then apply very small quantities of crazy/super/gorilla glue such that it is able to drip downwards like a water droplet - and without contacting the tack. Actually, gluing in this manner always requires a preliminary pass before removing the tack. I recommend holding tissue while gluing. This allows the most rapid response to any glue which leaks to the outside. Hopefully, you won't need the tissue but it is a very simple and effective contingency plan. Overall, gluing and decorating a Lego box is easier than DIP scale soldering.

After making two boxes of size 16*32*32 dots (128*256*256mm, 5*10*10 inch) and two boxes of size 8*8*8 dots (64*64*64mm, 2.5*2.5*2.5 inch), I don't believe that anyone who is active on the 6502 Forum requires anything larger than 16*16*16. Specifically:-

My current aesthetic is similar in size and shape to the Apple iCube, except that it is made from toy bricks, in Commodore 64 colors, with SNES joypads, an Apple II memory map and a Commodore 64 ABI. I don't care if this mash-up offends purists. Regarding the enclosure, I strongly recommend cubes only. Color matching between base-plates is awful; worse than expected for white plastic. I was surprised that a partially sighted friend noted the blue/gray tint, the yellow/pink tint of various pieces. My friend is usually oblivious to such matters but this indicates that it is really bad. Indeed, cuboids of differing dimensions look significantly worse when faces at right angles are equally illuminated. If you only make cubes, this is a lesser concern because most of the faces will match. If you follow the Apple iCube aesthetic, enclosure construction is further simplified because it is possible to have four or five blank faces while all of the front facing connectors (keyboard, mouse, joystick, audio) and rear facing connectors (power, display, bulk storage, network) may come out of the one face of the cube which is tucked away from view. This means you can be less fastidious about closing the holes while simultaneously being less concerned about accidental ingress of liquids. If you want to get really fancy, it is relatively trivial to make a 555 capacitive touch power switch, although this is a gratuitous waste of energy.

For the power switch, I prefer a more industrial look. Specifically, I design all of my equipment such that a blue power switch is on the top left and ISO 13850 red emergency stop button is on the top right. In the case of a 6502 system, the red button may be NMI to monitor program or similar. (For a 6502 control system, the emergency stop should dump and clear all known I/O pins. All associated hardware should fail-safe when a port is zeroed.) For important switches and indicator lights, I don't recommend anything outside of red, white or blue. This covers common cases of red/green and green/blue color-blindness. As further safeguards, blink lights should be odd counts only and switches should be distinctly textured.

A snug fit for the buttons was found by happy accident. I planned to have a 3*3 power switch in a 4*4 hole or maybe a 2*2 button in a 3*3 hole. However, 3*3 bricks aren't available and I didn't want to purchase 100 2*3 bricks and suchlike in multiple colors when I only wanted one of each. Instead, I frugally purchased 100 1*1 tall bricks with the intention of gluing grids of them into the desired size. This works astounding well because the low quality imitation bricks are molded a little short on each edge to ensure that they always fit together. Unfortunately, for 1*1 flat pixel art, they don't sit squarely in their assigned place. If you can get a color in 1*2 or larger then definitely do so because then it will always sit squarely. While this property is annoying for pixel art, it is helpful when gluing bricks into buttons. Buttons are always one millimetre or so short and will therefore travel freely within a hole. This isn't suitable for a keyboard but it is quite acceptable for occasional use. If you align the bricks against a hard edge after gluing, they may have a small skew. However, they will have the same consistent skew across two dimensions and the result still works in a given hole.

For decorative trim, I highly recommend a mixed bag of 1000 1*1 flat bricks to do fades and similar effects. Unfortunately, time spent working with toy bricks is relatively independent of their size. It took me about four hours to sort 1000 loose bricks into piles and another four hours to apply a small selection to the base-plates. If you haven't got time for this amount of faffing, I completely understand. I mention it because I didn't expect to spend so long on the task. To save you time, I'll describe my most successful experiments. I've tried retro rainbow stripes with great success. This is very much in the style of 8 bit Apple and Commodore (and earlier systems). Five or six stripes from the midline downwards works particularly well. Abbreviated and shuffled resistor color codes also work quite well. Two examples are 012349 (black, brown, red, orange, yellow, white) and 076238 (black, purple, blue, red, orange, gray). You might want to try blue, green, black, red. I hear that it's quite popular.

I had reservations about blue/red, orange/gray and green/black but, in aggregate, it works fairly well. I've only tried this on white base-plates. However, I believe that these variations would work equally well on beige or green base-plates. I have more bricks on order with the intention of trying 1980s pink/green tropical styles, although these variants are only likely to work well on white.

I believe that anyone who has worked with VIC-II graphics will be particularly adaptable to decorating a Lego enclosure. The constraints differ but they are analogous. Specifically, 1*1 bricks are available in one palette, 1*2 bricks are available in a different palette and background choice is limited. In particular, 1*2 bricks mostly cover the 4 bit RGBI palette with, for example, two shades of red, green and blue. However, baseplates may only be available in black, sand beige, forest green, lunar/urban gray, a random shade of not-quite-white and an assortment of patterns, such as road junction, sports pitch or tropical island. Annoyingly, baseplate size starts at 16*16. Anything of this size or larger is thinner and must be the bottom layer. Therefore, any attempt to fill half of a 16*32 face with 16*16 baseplate will be awful and inconsistent.

Several of the online marketplace sellers supply a complimentary pixel art tool with every shipment. This double ended tool aids placement and has a lever to aid removal of mistakes, although, admittedly, I've had more success picking off mistakes with a safety pin. Regardless, I hope that the lever tool is available in bulk because it is the shape, size and style of the discontinued toggle switches found on mini-computers and Commodore Z's Cactus 6502. It is also molded in historically gaudy colors. Indeed, replication of the Cactus design may have been inhibited by a lack of suitable toggle switch levers. The tools used for pixel art may be an acceptable substitute. They may also be cheaper.

I'll finish with some characteristic whimsy. I've been very disappointed with the selection of sheep stickers and sheep Lego on AliExpress. However, the selection of dinosaur Lego is fantastic and they don't even mention the best features. I bought one of the more fierce dinosaurs. It has a 2*2 stud arrangement on its back which is suitable for a seated Lego MiniFig. However, they don't mention that the dinosaur feet are also Lego compatible. Furthermore, my dinosaur was supplied with two tiny Lego stud compatible baby dinosaurs and 14(!!!) tiny Lego stud compatible dinosaur eggs. However, I haven't mentioned the best feature. The neck, shoulders and hips are all Lego Technic axle compatible. Therefore, instead of assembling the supplied arms and legs - and in a case of art mirroring life - it is possible to have your very own dinosaur on rails!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:08 am 

Sorry tl;dr

Is that just about lego?

Otherwise you can use newly produced C64 cases and 3d printed supports and keycaps like here https://github.com/fachat/MicroPET

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm 

Still a very long read. Do you have pictures of your Lego creations?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:57 pm 

I confess I feel the same way. The text is *extremely* chatty and conversational! :shock:

Which is allowed. But, speaking for myself, I'd love to see a more concentrated focus on the topic. Just a suggestion.

And, some photos are a great idea! :)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm 

I enjoy reading every word of your posts, Sheep64 (when I have sufficient time allotted). You have an eccentric ... err unique perspective that I find refreshing and thought-provoking, aided by your excellent spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:11 pm 

fachat wrote:
Sorry tl;dr

Ditto here.

Quote:
Otherwise you can use newly produced C64 cases and 3d printed supports and keycaps like here https://github.com/fachat/MicroPET

Someone is producing reproduction C-64 cases? Are they the "bread bin" style or the later "flat" style?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:17 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
fachat wrote:
Sorry tl;dr

Ditto here.

Quote:

Someone is producing reproduction C-64 cases? Are they the "bread bin" style or the later "flat" style?

They are the later flat style. They actually found the original molds in a warehouse and had a kickstarter a few years ago.

André

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:16 pm 

I believe these are the ones André is referring to:

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt- ... l#filter=*

Also, ETSY has both versions as 3D print models... meaning you buy the 3D model ($30) and print it yourself. I think I'd go with the one already made form the original molds... just sayin'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 am 

floobydust wrote:
I believe these are the ones André is referring to:

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produkt- ... l#filter=*

Also, ETSY has both versions as 3D print models... meaning you buy the 3D model ($30) and print it yourself. I think I'd go with the one already made form the original molds... just sayin'

Kind of amazing that there is still demand for something like this. I guess it shows how enduring the C-64's popularity is.

If I were going to get a replacement C-64 case I'd go with the ones made from the Commodore molds. Much more authentic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:54 pm 

I am dismayed that people can discuss Lego for use as an electronics enclosure and injection molding of Commodore 64 enclosures but not mention any of the Commodore Brixty Four designs. (The Commodore Brixty Four being, presumably, a successor to the Brick Tente.)

Anyhow, by popular demand, I return with images! At the time of my last post, I didn't have pale pink bricks, pale green bricks or 1*1 tall transparent bricks. The latter left the dovetailed feet of my Atari/Commodore/Apple/Nintendo definitely-not-an-iCube-Pippin-thingy with a rather ragged edge. Indeed, it quite spoiled the 5/16 approximation of 1/e. Regardless, it should be apparent that I'm aiming for a media center/entertainment center type design. I believe that anyone should be able to mentally spar with a computer and come away as a better person. That may be a session of chess, an unlogged session of Eliza, watching an educational video or just playing a mindless action film. The user is not a hostile party. The user is the boss.

Free to hobbyists: I have enough panels to make 10 or more of the XR3600 Series enclosures, although the exact number will depend upon how many I use and what size you require. You will receive a random selection of decorative bricks which can be removed, augmented or substituted. Actually, one design which occurred to me would be a pixel perfect rendition of PacMan across five sides of the case. The power button could be PacMan's power-up pill. However, that would require buying black panels and bricks. I've already got thousands of bricks and I'm not buying more until supplies run down significantly.

In response to barrym95838: Don't be polite. I'm cockadoolally. Some people are like this due to physiology and deserve our compassion. I'm like this because I cultivate original ideas - and act on them. I treasure unique, rational ideas which have never occurred to anyone else. Indeed, people who have never had original ideas are extremely boring to me. Unfortunately, there are downsides to original thinking. As noted by Robert Persig in Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance (somewhere near the end; after the subjective properties and general giving-a-hoot about Quality), madness is largely defined by divergent thinking. The cause is rather secondary. This is an increasing problem when we expect mentally nimble knowledge workers to pursue increasingly extended careers. From studies of many mammals in many niches, we can expect mental agility to correlate with longevity, immaturity and eccentricity. Regarding longevity, you can expect me to be around for at least another 40 years and the last date in my calendar is for 2116. Regarding immaturity, I think that it is fairly well established that I play with Lego. However, with the exception of cheerleader minifigs and a dinosaur, all of it is for making electronics enclosures. Regarding eccentricity, I was quite bland and ordinary before I worked in Internet Cafes. However, an Internet Cafe is a magnet for weird people and I subsequently progressed a little up the scale.

Attachments:
File comment: Design variations allow more keys, a better arrow cluster and more peripheral ports.
commodore-brixty-four.jpg
commodore-brixty-four.jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: The Super Secret Sheep Server: Raspberry Pi in food container with hole at one end for USB power and hole at other end for Ethernet. Unfortunately, this arrangement requires opening the lid to program a ROM or microcontroller.
before.jpg
before.jpg [ 22.26 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: LittleDumbDinosaur is Lego stud compatible.
after.jpg
after.jpg [ 23.89 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: Note the consistent buttons and bezels across units. This extends to a similar range of rack mount panels. Also note that the 32*32 stud panel has a blue tint. Due to poor color consistency, cube designs are preferred.
xr3600-series-desktop-enclosures.jpg
xr3600-series-desktop-enclosures.jpg [ 39.74 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: This is how I spent 8 hours making stripes and fades.
xr3609-fade.jpg
xr3609-fade.jpg [ 40.02 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: This enclosure is large enough for the 6502GLD, jfoucher's Planck computers, BigDumbDinosaur's POC2.0, sburrow's design and the forthcoming XR2600 Series.
make-your-own-icube-pippin.jpg
make-your-own-icube-pippin.jpg [ 27.79 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: Studs on every face are outwards. Feet are dovetailed 1*4 tall bricks.
xr3607-foot.jpg
xr3607-foot.jpg [ 37.93 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: Imitation Lego: 1/3 of the price, 1/3 of the quality.
youre-molding-it-wrong.jpg
youre-molding-it-wrong.jpg [ 37.6 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: Commodore VIC20 style enclosure suitable for Raspberry Pi Pico, VGA connector and PS/2 connector.
xr3604-picovic.jpg
xr3604-picovic.jpg [ 22.63 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
File comment: You may wish to calibrate this picture against standard Lego red, green and blue.
swatch-and-suggested-stripes.jpg
swatch-and-suggested-stripes.jpg [ 29.61 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]
lego-front-face0-0-1.odg [11.14 KiB]
Downloaded 30 times
lego-front-face0-0-2.pdf [71 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times
xr3600-series-suggested-panel-construction.jpg
xr3600-series-suggested-panel-construction.jpg [ 26.15 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:37 pm 

Firstly, it has come to my attention that XR3607 (16*16*16 stud) and larger won't arrive in one piece until I vastly improve the packaging. If you have to re-assemble an enclosure, it would be quicker and easier to source pieces direct. I remain willing to send a random selection of striped trim.

Secondly, I have further ideas for enclosure styling, all of which are tenuously related to 6502:

• Black box with the exact bitmaps taken from Space Invaders or PacMan. The power button could be PacMan's power-up pill.
  • Many of the Mario games have a beige box with question mark. Unfortunately, the original question mark design is 15*15 pixels with one pixel border.
  • Minecraft bitmap textures. A cube of lava or the TNT box design are the most notable.

How is Mincecraft related to 6502? Minecraft's original author, notch, is an objectionable brogrammer who has difficulty with square root. After selling Minecraft to Microsoft, notch was sufficiently toxic to be uninvited from the 10th anniversary of his own company. After working on Minecraft, notch worked on a space trading game which required the various subsystems of the spacecraft to be programmed in assembly. Others developed compilers. Initially, the programming model was similar to 6502 (putting a VIPER in your Viper?) but this was switched to something much more similar to SWEET16 or RCA1802 because notch also had difficulty with 6502. And the game flopped.

Also, someone was mad enough to make a 6502 simulator in Minecraft's Turing complete Redstone bricks. Anyhow, do not confuse Red6502 with Rockwell R6502.

Sheep64 on Mon 11 Oct 2021 wrote:
switches should be distinctly textured.

Copypasta with no obvious sauce:

Quote:
During the second world war, the United States lost hundreds of planes in accidents that were deemed 'pilot error'. Crash landings were a particular problem for the Boeing B-17 'Flying Fortress'. The planes were functioning as designed, and the pilots were highly trained, but made basic errors. In 1942, a young psychology graduate, Alphonse Chapanis joined the Army Air Force Aero Medical Lab as their first psychologist. Chapanis noticed that the flaps and landing gear had identical switches that were co-located and were operated in sequence. In the high-workload period of landing, pilots frequently retracted the gear instead of the flaps. This hardly ever occurred to pilots of other aircraft types. Chapanis fixed a small rubber wheel to the landing gear lever and a small wedge-shape to the flap lever. This kind of ‘pilot error’ almost completely disappeared.

This type of idiot-proofing came to my attention in the serialized fiction Deathworlders, Chapter 34:

Allison Buehler on 11y10m3w AV wrote:
Allison didn't even need to look at her left hand nowadays. All the sliders on the power management board had unique textures on their surface, and her muscle memory was down solid anyway. Looking at the board as she adjusted the power output to bleed a little capacitor power into the jump drive to recharge it would have just been redundant.

I strongly recommend applying it to keyboard meta-keys. For example, stripes for shift, checkers for control.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:18 pm 

If you are in the UK: The largest branches of PoundLand have 20*20 stud imitation Lego in moon gray or forest green for £1. Furthermore, they are not baseplates where other pieces can only be affixed on one side. Firstly, they are true 20*20 flat plates and this allows a volume of 160mm*160mm*160mm to be enclosed without use of glue. This is large enough for 10 EuroCards. Or maybe a main board, a video board, a sound board and a 3.5 inch harddisk. Secondly, 400 studs for $1.25 would be a fair price if listed on AliExpress. It is an astounding good price for a retailer.

If you are in the US: PoundLand and Dollar Tree have an overlap of suppliers and is especially true after it became the $1.25 Tree. Anyhow, Dollar Tree also has imitation Lego which is suitable for homebrew computer enclosures.

If you are elsewhere: Search for BuildX baseplate. They also have 47 brick Lego City style kits for the same price. I have no idea how they can pack and distribute imitation Lego kits at less than three cents per brick.