6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Serial board woes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:06 pm 

So the PCBs for my first build have arrived (yay!) and two of the four boards worked without bodges (sorta yay!). The backplane seems okay and the VIA board worked without issue. The main board (65C02, EEPROM, RAM, some decoding) had a problem I knew about before the boards arrived and which was fixed with a couple of tiny bodge wires.

But the serial board? Not so good. There's not much on it. A couple of chips for decoding (working), the 6551 with its crystal and cap and that's largely it. It's the same config I had on the breadboard, which was working fine there.

The serial port sends out data fine, so the 6551 is working to some extent. But there's a problem receiving.

I checked the RX line and it's being held at 5V normally with the signals dipping to 0V as expected, so no obvious problem with incoming signals. However, the /IRQ signal from the 6551 is being weird.

I have a 10K pullup for the /IRQ line on the main board. Sure enough, it's normally at 5V - albeit with some 50Hz ripple. But when data comes in on the RX line, the signal drops to around 3.3V – and stays there until I reset. It never drops even close to 0V and therefore the serial routines in the ROM are never triggered.

I tried a different backplane, with closer spacing of the boards - exactly the same deal.

Any idea what I can probe or bodge next? Is the 10K pullup too strong?

Post subject: Re: Serial board woes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:06 pm 

10K is not at all too strong. How does the voltage at the ground pin look when the chip is trying to pull the IRQ\ line down? And power and other lines? It's not connected to any W65C22S IRQ\ outputs, is it? (I ask because the W65C22S has a totem-pole IRQ\ output, not wire-OR'able. The reason for this is because as you get into the higher clock speeds, the slow rate at which the IRQ\ line floats up with just a passive pull-up can be a little bit problematic in some cases, especially if there's quite a bit of capacitance on that line. This is covered in my 6502 interrupts primer, about 25% of the way down the page.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:10 pm 

Oops, while I was typing Garth covered most of this. But...

speculatrix wrote:
the [IRQ] signal drops to around 3.3V – and stays there until I reset
Either the /IRQ line on the main board is harder to pull down than it ought to be, or the 6551 and its connections are weaker than they ought to be in regard to pulling down. Here are some of the possible explanations.

/IRQ line on the main board is harder to pull down than it ought to be:
- shorted to another signal line, perhaps -- one that's trying to be high?
- what happens when you use another 10K resistor to pull it low? Is the result Vss/2 as expected?

6551 and its connections are weaker than they ought to be in regard to pulling down:
- bad solder joint in the IRQ circuit
- the Gnd pin on the 6551 itself is not at ground. Measure it, right at the pin itself. :wink:

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:59 pm 

I am indeed using the 'S' version of the W65C22 on the VIA board.

I haven't had much time to run tests, but I thought I'd briefly try unplugging the VIA board to see if the /IRQ output on that was holding the line too high. Weirdly, the serial board stopped working completely! No output. Gah!

The /IRQ pin on the 6551 is still at 5V, but still with lots of noise. The GND pin is at 0V.

I will try other things tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:15 pm 

Thanks for all the tips. In the end, Garth, it was your primer that tipped me off to the solution. I just don’t think the 6551 could fight against the totem pole output (a phrase I had to look up) of the 65C22S. I switched to an R6522 and it all worked. Well, there was a lot of other cussing, bodging and probing along the way, but if you want a fuller story it’s here: https://mansfield-devine.com/speculatri ... -it-werkz/

It’s still a little weird in that I swear these are the same chips I had in my (working) breadboard version, which had an even stronger (1K) pullup on the /IRQ line. Oh well…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:24 pm 

speculatrix wrote:
I switched to an R6522 and it all worked.

You can still use the superior W65C22S, but put a diode in series with its IRQ\ output, with the cathode towards the '22, so it can only pull the processor's IRQ\ line down, not up. (I suspect you'll have to cut a trace to do it; but that's easier than adding the AND gate shown in the interrupts primer.) Any small signal diode (like a 1N4148) should work, but if you happen to be ordering parts anyway, let me recommend the SD103C which in the same package size as the 1N4148 but Schottky, to bring the resulting low voltage at the 6502 side lower, plenty below the 0.8V that any brand of 6502 would require for a solid logic low. Maybe I should add this information to the interrupts primer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:14 am 

Thanks Garth. There will always be another spin of the board coming along, so I’ll build that in.