6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm 

There was a recent discussion on the MyMENSCH, a FPGA based 6502 core retailing on Tindie for $65.02. I tried to do some searching and it looked like there hasn't been much discussion of the much cheaper ($18.16) MENSCH Microcomputer. That's less than twenty cents cheaper than a single W65C265S (the base microcontroller with a 6502 core that the MENSCH runs).

A genuine Arduino Uno costs $23 new. Obviously, it has USB built in, but if you have plenty of FTDI cables/equivalents laying around, this is an intriguing little dev board for hobbyist use.

In particular, I have been building up an atmega128 based module to provide a clean but variable speed clock, single-step, step-to-next-SYNC kinda thingy. Nothing fancy, but something to play with while I wait for my scope to arrive. It seems fun to have that be a 6502 based system too. Definitely a long term dream.

But does anybody have strong feelings with this little board? Immediately the lack of ADC is frustrating, but I can get away with a rotary encoder if I need to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:49 pm 

For reference and for interest, some previous threads on w65c265qbx aka qbx aka MENSCH Microcomputer...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:29 pm 

It appears to be an FPGA with an 'official' 6502 core. I don't know why it's so slow - 3.6864 MHz.

Arlet's core runs at 100MHz on ancient Spartan3s, and faster with modern chips.

The only reason I can think of is to avoid competing with their own chips. If you choose to go the FPGA route, you can go much faster for a little more money.