6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:49 pm 

Well, it seems like all the maladies I've been having with the Kestrel 8K design have *vanished into thin air* once I replaced the clock circuit with a unit that had much sharper rise and fall times. In particular, I'm using a clock oscillator cans that you can get pretty cheaply. And even with the solderless breadboard, and the long, loopy wires, I've successfully ran the Kestrel 8K stably at 4 MHz. And judging by the oscilloscope traces, I can probably get a few more MHz out of it before I start running into capacitance-related problems.

So, lesson learned: if you're experiencing weird, wonky issues with the 65816 that seem to defy explanation, check the rise and fall times of that clock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:37 am 

Well, not all bugs, it seems, was cured with this. :(

The following code:

Code:
!to "memtest.bin"
!cpu 65816

* = $FF00
boot
    clc
    xce
    rep #$30
    !al
    !rl

lda #$FEFF
    tas

lda #$FFFF
    sta $02

jsr RamTest8K
ItWorks   ; oscope on the EMUL output of 65816 to confirm
    clc
    xce
    sec
    xce
    bra ItWorks

RamTest8K
    ldx #$E000
    stx $00
    jsr td
    stx $00
    rts

td
    lda #$A5A5
    sta $0000,x
    lda #$5A5A
    sta $0002,x
    lda $0000,x
    eor $0002,x
    inc
    bne fail
    inx
    inx
    inx
    inx
    rts

fail
    bra fail

* = $FFFC
    !word boot, boot

does not run to completion.

After downloading it into the Kestrel's memory space, the CPU goes into native mode, immediately goes back into emulation mode, and then a *continuous* blast of memory writes occurs. That is, it never stops writing to memory, and so far as I can tell, the memory it's writing to seems to be between $0100-$01FF. Looking at the o'scope traces, I'm seeing three byte writes to memory, which implies a JSL instruction, since the CPU is operating in emulation mode. The address bus is confirmed to be $0000 and $0001 prior to the JSL.

So, I'm really confused....why is this happening? As I've replaced the RAM chip twice, I've effectively confirmed it's not the RAM chip.

I can no longer figure out why this is happening. I am at a *TOTAL* loss at this point. Why is this circuit just plain refusing to work when presented why any *shred* of a non-trivial program??????

*sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 am 

kc5tja wrote:
Code:
!to "memtest.bin"
!cpu 65816

* = $FF00
boot
    clc
    xce
    rep #$30
    !al
    !rl

lda #$FEFF
    tas   ; <--- THE BUG...

lda #$FFFF
    sta $02

AH HA!

I found the bug. The assembler, ACME, recognizes TAS as a valid opcode (especially since it is listed as a valid synonym for TCS), but produced no code for it. Therefore, JSR was pushing bytes into I/O space, and RTS was popping them from I/O space, with predictably disasterous results.

I detected this because I changed the IPL port around a bit, so that I can control the data bus _OE line independently of the address bus _OE line in the IPL circuitry (updated schematics for everything will be coming sometime tomorrow). Well, as I was stepping through the bytes in RAM, I noticed that after the first LDA, there was immediately after it another LDA.

So, the lesson in the opening post is valid -- tR/tF was key to solving the hardware bug. But TAS/TCS was key to solving the software bug that ensued thereafter.

So, right now, the Kestrel is, so far as my tests are showing currently, working as expected.

Oh, and I finally got around to replacing the 8K RAM chip with 32K. :)