6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:38 pm 

Since Sep 2020, it has been apparent to me that I have unconventional ideas about numerous technical topics. This includes my approach to hardware construction. I would like to share a minor innovation which is very probably unoriginal but has been hugely beneficial to my own efforts. Specifically, I have made about 20 5V tolerant, reversible LED indicator modules.

Many people are dissuaded from constructing an 8 bit computer due to cost. This includes test equipment, such as digital multi-meter, oscilloscope and logic analyzer and - for the unwary - parts and board manufacture which should cost less than USD100 can easily inflate beyond USD400. All of this is unaffordable for 1/3 of the people in one of the richest nations of the world and is probably unaffordable to more than 90% of the world population. Instead, we need more USD50 projects like MCL65+.

I therefore intend to build a computer upwards from the chips without fancy test equipment. While I am currently able to afford a good oscilloscope, there have been occasions when this was not possible. I also have a large pile of junk which is under-utilized. I don't want to add an expensive oscilloscope to the pile when I intend to spend the majority of my time programming. My intention is to make a computer with USD50 of tools and USD50 of parts. Admittedly, I have already blown this budget with component orders which include 3000 LEDs. However, the reason for my enthusiasm should be apparent when I explain my non-innovation.

It is apparent that I require some form of test equipment to make anything complex and that I'll have to buy it or make it. I liken this task to a carpenter who shakes his head at a Black And Decker Workmate and then makes his own A-Frame. (Hence the name of the project.) In programming, there is a similar process of tool-smithing. This may be an iterative process where tools are used to make better tools which are used to complete a useful objective.

As a lazy programmer, my laziness extends to not bothering to calculate the value of a current limiting resistor for use in conjunction with an LED. Instead, I use two LEDs in series. This works best with 2.7V red LEDs. You are strongly dissuaded from using 3.3V gallium green/blue/purple/pink LEDs because the result may be dim or ineffective. (Hmmm, I wonder why 3.3V circuitry often uses blue power lights?)

In a further example of laziness, I cannot be bothered with the polarity of LEDs. I am therefore glad to confirm that it is possible to arrange two pairs of LEDs back-to-back and make a reversible indicator. This is a simplified application of Charieplexing. In this case, any two of the four LEDs glow when there is sufficient current.

In a final non-act of laziness, I have found that it is possible to get a 4*4 scrap of 0.1 inch prototyping board and insert a ring of 5mm LEDs which can then be soldered so poorly that I laughed at my own work. (Hey, I've not soldered for more than one year.) Although it is possible to arrange the same circuit on a 5*3 scrap board, the symmetry of 4*4 has better center of gravity. It also facilitates the choice of the best opposite corners to attach the fly leads. With the most symmetric board, there the most options to avoid your own soldering disasters.

As my health allowed, I spent about six hours over three separate sessions making 25 indicators. I was shocked that the first 10 worked flawlessly. This is especially true given that I laughed at the quality of my own soldering. Of the next 10, one failed to work in either orientation before one of its fly leads fell off. That was easily rectified. Of the next five, two were unsalvgeable and were discarded. (A one pin LED is particularly useless.) It is quite obvious that quality decreased as I became tired. One indicator has subsequently dimmed and this has also been discarded.

Anyhow, the result has been very worthwhile. I have 22 indicators which work like LEDs except that they work either way around, work at 5V and have longer, insulated leads which are less likely to break. When I'm working on a breadboard, I can just grab them from a pool and place them anywhere without thinking. The effort to make these indicators has already saved time elsewhere. Furthermore, this has only required about USD2 of parts and has been far more useful than a multi-meter.

The first task using the indicator lights is to make a chain of 74HC161 binary counters. From this, it was immediately apparent that I would be using indicators almost exclusively in pairs. Therefore, my profligate use of LEDs extends to clusters of eight. The first pair of indicators was used as power lights at each end of a breadboard. This eliminates the ambiguity of the whole board being powered, especially for variants which have split power rails or no power rails. All other pairs have been used from ground to signal and from signal to power. Due to persistence of vision, logarithmic response and the varied angle of indicator lights, it is surprisingly difficult to distinguish a high frequency signal with 1/2 duty ratio from a high frequency signal with 1/16 duty ratio. However, when indicator lights are paired, it is quite trivial to determine if duty ratio is approximately half or significant deviation from half.

I highly recommend making dozens of these indicators - even if it takes you more than one day to complete the task. If you have terrible soldering due to inexperience or a long absence, it is the ideal project to get started. It is not a particularly useful project in itself. However, like a carpenter's A-Frame, it will save you time as a project progresses. I estimate that you may break even after three or four days of experimenting.

I found that it is possible to make 12 or more indicators from a 5cm*7cm prototyping board. However, it may be difficult to break a board cleanly into scraps of suitable size. My first board snapped perfectly. Possibly due to over-confidence, my second board was a disaster and this may have contributed to the latter failures. I recommend snapping the board lengthways and then repeating the process so that you have four long strips. This is the most likely process to produce 10 or more fragments with a minimum of 4*4 holes. I also recommend using general purpose tack to hold LEDs in place while soldering. This reduces the wonkiness of LEDs. It is also useful to hold the small project in place when you have molten solder.

I am so keen to share this technique that I am willing to mail examples globally at no expense. I expect all good plagiarists to be retailing indicator lights over the next two months or so. Regardless, this is your opportunity to get the original model which has already been used to bootstrap success projects. This offer is probably of most benefit to newbies without access to good test equipment. Regardless, experts may be amused by my atrocious soldering and therefore the offer is open to all. I will also include general purpose electronic components to help newbies get started. This includes 22pF capacitors, 2222A transistors and one 555 timer chip. I may also include unrelated surprise items. (I like mailing random stuff but no everyone likes surprises.) Send your details and indicate if you do *not* want the unrelated surprise items. Finally, don't spoil the surprise when you receive it!

Attachments:
reversible-indicator0-0-2.pdf [116.98 KiB]
Downloaded 81 times
reversible-indicator0-0-1.odg [8.34 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:38 pm 

Way back (like 35+ years ago) I had a logic probe. This is a pen-line device that had 2 LEDs - Red and Green, along with a long wire coming out the top with a small clip to go to the 0v rail...

Internally it has a pulse-extended circuit, so even the briefest of pulse (well in the single digit Mhz region at that time) would give an indicator - one of the LEDs would light up for a minimum time (half a second seems to ring a bell) one colour for a falling edge, the other for a rising one, or both if it was oscillating.

These are still being made & sold today - ebay has many for under £10. Or make one :-)

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projec ... gic-probe/

Of-course, if you make one then you need to get the LEDs the right way round...

That plus a good, basic multimeter might be all you need to get going. A multimeter is always a good idea. Get one that has a continuity test (ie. it beeps when resistance is < a few ohms). Great for finding solder shorts on stripboard, etc.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:23 pm 

drogon wrote:
Way back (like 35+ years ago) I had a logic probe.

My logic probe is still my go-to device for digital troubleshooting. About 95 percent of the problems I encounter are solved using the logic probe and some heavy thought.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:11 pm 

I discovered that my universal indictors aren't so universal. Specifically, they fail to work from ground to signal with NMOS. Thankfully, they work from signal to 5V with NMOS, although this means they are lit when the signal is low. Regardless, even when they don't work as intended, it is possible to use them to distinguish between NMOS and CMOS.

Separately, I have found a use for the tiniest 3*4 scraps of prototyping board. Each is perfectly sized to construct a breadboard 6 pin IDC header which is suitable for use with SPI65 or Atmel ICSP. Anyhow, keep your scraps because you may find unexpected uses for them.

Finally, people are really considerate on the 6502 forum. While jfoucher and MicroCoreLabs have difficulty distributing examples of their work, I have similar difficulty distributing components to help newbies get started in electronics. So far, I've had zero requests. I suppose this is preferable to a horde of freeloaders but it is difficult to gauge feedback. It might help if I describe the items I intend to send:-

• 1 * NMOS 6502 which passes a NOP test.
  • 4 * LED indicators plus scrap board to make more.
  • 20 * tested red 5mm round LEDs.
  • 20 * tested orange 5mm round LEDs.
  • 20 * tested yellow 5mm round LEDs.
  • 1 * premium, stackable project box suitable for credit card size board or MicroITX size board.
  • Example blue and yellow telephone company wire.
  • solder tack.
  • Small selection of 14 pin and 16 pin DIP sockets.
  • 4 * 2222A transistors which I've found suitable to switch light loads at 20V.
  • 2 * PAM8403 stereo, D-class, audio amplifier modules. These units will inefficiently drive small motors if fed a rectified sine wave or a square wave with a skewed duty cycle.
  • 1 * 4052 analog switch. Can be used to multiplex SPI devices, I2C devices and/or PAM8403 amplifiers.
  • 1 * CMOS 555 mono timer chip.
  • 1 * NMOS 556 dual timer chip.
  • 1 * 741 operational amplifier.
  • 4 * 16MHz ceramic resonators.
  • 1 * 25MHz quartz crystal.
  • 1 * 74HC00 quad NAND gate suitable for oscillator and address decode.
  • Llama stickers. (Couldn't find decent sheep stickers on aliexpress.)
  • Optional mystery item unrelated to electronics.

The offer runs indefinitely and includes free international shipping but may vary if I find, misplace or exhaust items. Not included, given you'll have to source supplies anyhow:-

• Breadboards.
  • Tools.
  • Solder.
  • 74HC161 counter chips. (Recommend minimum of 20.)
  • 2.7k or 3.3k pull-up resistors. You are likely to require five or more for control lines, eight for bi-directional data lines and, technically, one for each tri-state address line, although this is often omitted. Also require pull-up resistors for I2C or similar. So, recommend minimum of 20.
  • 22pF decoupling capacitors. (Recommend one per large chip and four shared mong small chips.)
  • Reservoir capacitor.
  • DIP sockets for larger chips.

Don't expect to receive this in a hurry. It might take me 2-4 weeks to send and it might take you 1-5 weeks to receive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm 

I too use a logic probe extensively.

But I also often use 3mm LEDs with suitable resistors soldered to them. The older type of LEDs that have a forward voltage of between 1.8V and 2.2V normally survive reverse polarity on a 5V rail if the current is limited by a resistor.

Attachment:
File comment: 3mm LED with current limiting resistor soldered to one leg
5B7B8E07-AD25-4A45-B314-122943025DF2.jpeg
5B7B8E07-AD25-4A45-B314-122943025DF2.jpeg [ 201.06 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Top view of LEDs after a 74ALS245 being used as a buffer
6096215D-CF15-4916-9644-7DC2BAA75BB6.jpeg
6096215D-CF15-4916-9644-7DC2BAA75BB6.jpeg [ 353.59 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Front view of LEDs after a 74ALS245 being used as a buffer
6BCAA801-FBE6-4921-BEF3-60D2D5BE702F.jpeg
6BCAA801-FBE6-4921-BEF3-60D2D5BE702F.jpeg [ 381.45 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]