6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am 

Hi forum, this is my first post!

Been playing around with Grant Searle's 6502 design, using a W65C02 and EF68B50 ACIA. Grant's design uses a 1.8432MHz clock which the ACIA internally divides by 16 to arrive at 115,200 baud. This works great the way it is. I want to start ramping up the clock frequency. The oscillators that I have tend to be whole numbers, like 2MHz, 4MHz, 8MHz etc which don't divide into standard baud rates.

My noob question is: Can the ACIA have its own clock, whilst the rest of the system uses a different clock frequency? I could just try it...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 am 

Totally posted this in the wrong forum! Apologies...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:02 am 

Welcome! Don't worry, Garth can move a post to another section.

Yes, it's normal to have a baud-rate crystal as well as a main-system crystal - for exactly this reason!

Edit: just to note, in general, a clock can oscillator is preferable to a crystal, so I'm speaking loosely there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 am 

Thank you :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:39 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Yes, it's normal to have a baud-rate crystal as well as a main-system crystal - for exactly this reason!

In fact, what I do is use a 50 PPM oscillator for the UART and a less-expensive 100 PPM oscillator for the microprocessor (MPU).

At high bit rates, e.g., 115.2 Kbps, oscillator drift can result in the serial link running too fast or slow and possibly inducing framing errors. Using a 50 PPM oscillator with the UART makes that likelihood very small. On the other hand, the MPU is not as fussy about absolute frequency.

In my POC units, I use a jiffy IRQ generated by one of the DUARTs to perform timekeeping. The accuracy and stability of that timekeeping is only as good as the accuracy and stability of the DUART's clock source. Hence the use of a 50 PPM oscillator.

Quote:
Edit: just to note, in general, a clock can oscillator is preferable to a crystal, so I'm speaking loosely there.

I'll second that. A “can” oscillator is generally more stable and reliable than a “roll your own” crystal oscillator circuit. The manufacturers of can oscillators have solved all problems related to quick starting, frequency drift vs. temperature, and generation of a clean and strong output.

Incidentally, be sure to use oscillators that produce CMOS outputs, not TTL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:11 am 

jamielewis wrote:
I could just try it...

Yes, just try it. Serial port can handle about 5% deviation in frequency. 2MHz is 8% above 1.8432, but you may be surprised how good the communication is, enough to let you know the device is running OK.
Bill