6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: COPPER CONNECTION & EPCB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:30 pm 

I recently received E-mail from ExpressPCB (EPCB) announcing that they have acquired the rights to the Copper Connection printed circuit board design software. Here's a copy of the most recent message I received:

At ExpressPCB our mission is to solve the software and manufacturing problem for low cost, quick turnaround prototyping. Future versions of Copper Connection with new manufacturing options and pricing will provide our customers expanded features over the current ExpressPCB Classic version, all for free! Combining Copper Connection with our world class PCB Manufacturing and Support will greatly enhance the experience. We expect to have the updated version for ExpressPCB ready for release within 60 days. Don’t worry. Your current version of Copper Connection up to 3.0.5875 will continue to function completely. If you lose your product key, contact us and we’ll be happy to give you a replacement key. As a welcome gift, everyone who purchased Copper Connection is eligible for a Free Lifetime ExpressPCB Engineer Membership upon request.

A feature of Copper Connection, and the reason I purchased the software, is its ability to convert the proprietary EPCB file format to industry-standard Gerber and Exelon equivalents. I have taken advantage of this feature several times to get boards made at better prices than available from EPCB. I suspect that the conversion feature will be removed from the EPCB "update" to Copper Connection, as that will reestablish EPCB's vendor lock-in that they have enjoyed with their proprietary software. For that reason, I plan to stick with my current version of Copper Connect. If you have the software I recommend you do likewise.

Incidentally, I visited the EPCB site looking for how to request the Free Lifetime ExpressPCB Engineer Membership they mention. I couldn't find it, but did find a link to purchase an individual membership for 99 USD per year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 pm 

Send them an email. They will send you a coupon code to use, and you buy the subscription at a cost $0. Their emails states lifetime subscription, but there is only a yearly subscription available, so it will be interesting to see what happens in a year.

I also got Copper Connection after paying ExpressPCB the Gerber fee about 300 times over the last 15 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:58 am 

Will I be able to export Gerber file with a new key? My computer crashed.
If I can recover will sw still work?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:04 am 

inwo wrote:
Will I be able to export Gerber file with a new key? My computer crashed.
If I can recover will sw still work?

You need to be more specific. To which "sw" are you referring?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:40 am 

Not being able to export a Gerber from a PCB layout package? That is a really good reason to immediately chuck it and switch to something not insane. Perhaps some years ago there was a reason to lock yourself in with a proprietary PCB manufacturer, but today you can get sizeable 4-layer boards for a couple of bucks apiece - if you can send in Gerbers...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:54 am 

enso wrote:
Not being able to export a Gerber from a PCB layout package? That is a really good reason to immediately chuck it and switch to something not insane. Perhaps some years ago there was a reason to lock yourself in with a proprietary PCB manufacturer, but today you can get sizeable 4-layer boards for a couple of bucks apiece - if you can send in Gerbers...

I don't know if you are aware of it, but the Copper Connection software has the ability to take an ExpressPCB layout file and generate a complete set of Gerbers from it, including the Exelon drill file. I purchased a Copper Connection license specifically for that feature so I could convert the many EPCB files I have and send the Gerbers to other board houses. The software has paid for itself many times over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 pm 

Yes, I gathered that you can buy some proprietary software that you can use to convert another company's proprietary file format to something sensible. However that seems absurdly irrational to me. Especially for someone that will not go on Github :?

I suppose we all have our pet peeves: I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to avoid Google (which is nearly impossible these days), and will never, ever touch Windows or Apple products (because of Jobsian ripoff philosophy). But I cannot imagine a scenario where I would voluntarily pay for a proprietary piece of software if there was a choice, especially proprietary software fixing terminal flaws of another proprietary package. No offense intended.

I've tried perhaps a dozen PCB design packages, including some very expensive ones, and found that they all suck about the same. Is EPCB particularly good - so good that you are willing to overlook its inability to do accomplish the ultimate goal of generating an industry-standard output file?

I am not being argumentative or trying start a fight. I am genuinely baffled.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:57 pm 

I think it's just a historical fluke -- at least that applies in my case. Express PCB's software is quite easy to learn, and in fact it lets you start placing traces and doodling around without having entered a schematic. :!: Because of that I became engaged immediately, doodling away and learning a menu or two; and, before I knew it, I was "off and running" on the learning curve! It was fun, right from the start. Now I'm reluctant to start over again and learn a different package.

So, yeah, I got hooked by their strategy. I actually admire their shrewdness in making engagement so easy & enjoyable. EPCB's prices (not to mention their extortionate shipping charges to Canada) don't bother me too much because I don't do a lot of boards, and so far it's usually been for a customer anyway, so I'm not the one who pays.

Back to the issue about being able to create a board without having entered a schematic. That's actually rather a sore point with me. Sometimes all I want is something simple, like a little breakout board to locate a tiny SMD chip on a .1" grid. With the EPCB software I can sketch that out instantly. But with KiCAD (for example, and last time I checked) I absolutely can do nothing at all until a schematic has been duly entered. NOT fun. Grrrr! :evil:

J. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:25 pm 

No schematic is absolutely essential to me as well, especially for larger FPGA designs. Drawing a schematic of a couple of hundred IO lines? How is that useful? That is why I use gEDA PCB - an otherwise primitive and decrepit piece of software. However it shines when used with my workflow, and I am willing to put up with otherwise untenable defects and gaps, and a ridiculous learning curve (which I have to face over and over as I tend to take multi-year breaks between hardware projects)

gEDA allows me to just plop down footprints and draw traces. But more importantly, I can use hand-built partial netlist files to create airwires (AKA ratsnest). Other packages start with a pileup of airwires so dense that it is impossible to make any sense of them. With gEDA, I create a few separate netlist files (text files with one line per net, a readable listing of connections) which are great documentation, for debugging and for posterity.

I generally make a power netlist, an address bus netlist, a databus netlist, clock netlist, and a control signals netlist. I load a single netlist into airwires, and route it, moving onto the next one. I can also assign a distinct trace color for each group of signals - or keep them all the same color. When done, I can light up individual nets/traces to verify them against datasheets or see shorts.

I can make footprints that specify functional names of pins, such as IRQ or D7, then make a netlist that reads like English:
Code:
DataBus0 CPU-D0 RAM-D0 ROM-D0
DataBus1 CPU-D1 RAM-D1 ROM-D1
etc. Or use a pin-numbered footprint when that makes more sense. Footprints are just text files.

I am not aware of any other PCB layout package that allows me such flexibility where it counts.

Oh, and it is opensource and it writes Gerbers.

Last edited by enso on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:08 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Express PCB's software is quite easy to learn, and in fact it lets you start placing traces and doodling around without having entered a schematic. :!: Because of that I became engaged immediately, doodling away and learning a menu or two; and, before I knew it, I was "off and running" on the learning curve! It was fun, right from the start. Now I'm reluctant to start over again and learn a different package.

<snip>

Back to the issue about being able to create a board without having entered a schematic. That's actually rather a sore point with me. Sometimes all I want is something simple, like a little breakout board to locate a tiny SMD chip on a .1" grid. With the EPCB software I can sketch that out instantly. But with KiCAD (for example, and last time I checked) I absolutely can do nothing at all until a schematic has been duly entered. NOT fun. Grrrr! :evil:

My sentiments exactly. I'm still using an old DOS version of EasyPC Professional from Number One Systems in England. There are major things I hate about every schematic-capture software I've tried (including this EasyPC Pro), so I still do my schematics by hand, even if they have hundreds of components drawn quite small on C-size (18"x24") velum. At my last job, I got very proficient at OrCAD for schematic capture, but it was terrible. Now I go straight from hand-drawn schematics to PCB CAD, without using netlists & rat's nesting, etc.. And using this method of checking, I don't get any errors either. The simple computer board shown on my site (whose EPROM is plugged in on the back),
Attachment:
SymCPU.jpg
SymCPU.jpg [ 18.45 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]

was laid out without a schematic or netlist at all, only from my mind's eye. To make it easier to route, I intentionally scrambled data bus lines and intentionally scrambled address bus lines, writing them down as I went. I drew up a schematic after the board was made. You can see it plugged into this stack, on the upper right, EPROM side up:
Attachment:
SymMainBox.jpg
SymMainBox.jpg [ 35.69 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]

The main board there (which the others plug into) has about 500 parts on it. It worked on first try. I designed these boards in the mid-1990's on a 16MHz '286 with 1MB of RAM, and it didn't need all the RAM to do it either! They had a cheaper ($75) non-pro version which would probably be adequate for what most people on this forum are doing, and that version was written in assembly language, and even on a 16MHz '286, screen re-draws were nearly instant. For the Pro version, they went to C. It's not as fast, but we needed the extra capability they put in the pro version which cost $375. When I evaluated a bunch of CAD packages, my first choice was MaxiPC which was $2,000. The new company on a budget got me the $375 EasyPC Pro which was my second choice, ahead of several more-expensive ones.

The CAD software company (Number One Systems) kept sending me free updates, adding simulation and autorouting and other stuff I didn't need, and I quit taking the updates because the software was getting harder to use. Sometimes simple is best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:12 pm 

enso wrote:
Yes, I gathered that you can buy some proprietary software that you can use to convert another company's proprietary file format to something sensible. However that seems absurdly irrational to me.

It may seem irrational but as I said, I have many EPCB files that I wanted to convert and since most of these files were generated as part of business activities, the relatively small cost to get the Copper Connection license was unimportant.

Not everything in life is free, and often paying the price of convenience is worth it when one considers the time/money dichotomy. Being elderly, time is of much greater value to me than money, so I tend to make my purchasing decisions with that in mind.

Quote:
Especially for someone that will not go on Github :?

What does finding Github annoying have to do with designing PCBs?

Quote:
I suppose we all have our pet peeves: I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to avoid Google (which is nearly impossible these days)...

I avoid Google as well, although as you note, they have become pervasive (unhealthily so, IMO).

Quote:
...and will never, ever touch Windows or Apple products (because of Jobsian ripoff philosophy).

Like paying property taxes, using Windows is an unavoidable evil in the business world. I feel much more at home staring at a BASH prompt than I do looking at silly pictures, so my usage of Windows is limited to necessity, nothing more.

Quote:
But I cannot imagine a scenario where I would voluntarily pay for a proprietary piece of software if there was a choice, especially proprietary software fixing terminal flaws of another proprietary package. No offense intended.

At some point, you will pay for proprietary software if it will do what you need. There is no free lunch in computing, just as there is no free lunch in life. If someone has a product or service you need or want, and they are not giving it away, you will pay for it.

Quote:
I've tried perhaps a dozen PCB design packages, including some very expensive ones, and found that they all suck about the same. Is EPCB particularly good - so good that you are willing to overlook its inability to do accomplish the ultimate goal of generating an industry-standard output file?

Jeff mentioned the salient features of EPCB that make it attractive, which is the tolerable learning curve and the ease at which one can cobble together a board without having to first lay out a schematic. The EPCB software is free for the downloading—the hook is the proprietary output that only EPCB can use. I paid nothing for the EPCB package (schematic drafting and PCB layout) and for quite some time, had EPCB make boards for me.

The rationale for getting Copper Connection and paying the license fee (the software was free for the download and will run unlicensed—the license enables the EPCB-to-Gerber features) was about seven years ago I had someone come to me wanting automatic block signal (ABS) modules for the large-scale railroad he was building. Over a period of years, he and his partners had laid some 10 miles of track (equal to about 75 miles in reality) and it became clear they needed signaling to avoid conflicts, especially where the single-line track ran through a grove of trees and visibility was limited. Hence he required quite a few modules to set up ABS (and also some design services).

In working out the module costs in the quantities needed, it became clear that I had to find a more economical source for PCBs, which meant I had to either find a way to convert the module PCB layouts from EPCB to Gerber, or redraw all of the boards. The latter wasn't particularly appealing, and in any case, I was going to need suitable software, which was what ultimately led me to Copper Connection (like EPCB, Copper Connection doesn't require a schematic or netlists to lay out a board). Once I had generated Gerbers from my EPCB files, which took less than 20 minutes to accomplish, I could send them to any board house that accepted Gerbers.

In just that one project, the Copper Connection license fee was amortized many times over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:43 pm 

No need to be defensive! I really do not want a fight. Your response answers my question completely.

As for Github, I was assuming you avoid it because of Microsoft, and desire to squash opensourced software and own your ass. Obviously people have different ideas of Satan.

There is a lot more to free/libre software than not paying for it. Proprietary software carries risks that I don't want to take on (unfixeable bugs, complete vendor lock-in, undocumented file formats, risk of vendor going out of business, etc) I've had many occasions to fix bugs in opensource tools I use. Many issues I've opened on Github and Gitlab are handled by authors within days if not hours. I've never had any luck with quick bug fixes by proprietary vendors.

I should give EPCB a try, just to see what the hubbub is all about. I find most software today largely unusuable, yet many people seem to get by without problems, so it is probably all me. If I had any balls I would sit down and write a decent PCB package. However, I doubt my idea of what's good would be acceptable to most engineers, and some of what I want is kind of hard to implement in a simple manner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 pm 

enso wrote:
As for Github, I was assuming you avoid it because of Microsoft, and desire to squash opensourced software

My main problem with github is that I can never find what I want there. I waste a lot of time wandering around a user's various folders and so on, then give up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:56 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
enso wrote:
As for Github, I was assuming you avoid it because of Microsoft, and desire to squash opensourced software

My main problem with github is that I can never find what I want there. I waste a lot of time wandering around a user's various folders and so on, then give up.

Ditto what Garth said. It has nothing to do with Microsoft, OSS, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:16 pm 

I had it all wrong! I though it had to do with your convictions, not because of an annoyance. Well, good for you for being able to not give a sh**. I wish I could - my life would be a lot easier. I often feel I am the last hold-out.

However, recently someone on another thread posted a link to a file hosted on Github, and you (BDD) said you don't do github. There was no way to get lost. That is why I assumed you don't use Github on principle.

I find the search features of Github barely tolerable. There are topical lists and plenty of 'awesome' this or that aggregators... And I've found a lot of interesting stuff just poking about (when I find something good, I always look at the author's other repos, and I am rarely disappointed).