6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hardware mini-projects
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:58 am 

I have a lot of back-issues of an Acorn/BBC micro magazine called "The Micro User". Many of the older issues contain DIY projects that could be plugged into a BBC micro; these could, I believe, be adapted to other 6502-based systems without too much difficulty.

I know these articles are still going to be in copyright, so I won't scan/post any of them right now, but how many people would be interested in me trying to get the OK from the copyright holder/publisher for me to put the articles onto 6502.org?

--Martin

Post subject: Re: Mini-Projects
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

In every case that I have managed to contact a former copyright holder regarding posting 6502 material on 6502.org, my request has been granted. In many cases I'm simply unable to locate the appropriate parties.

Most authors and publishers have abandoned the material due to age, even though much of this information could be very valuable for 6502.org visitors.

My policy is that I will post anything that would be useful to 6502 enthusiasts. One reason for this is that in many cases I'm simply unable to locate the appropriate parties to ask permission.

However, if I post something and the copyright holder legitimately objects, I will remove the material immediately. I really doubt this would ever be an issue, but you never know.

I would greatly appreciate anything that you would care to contribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:58 am 

Hi Martin,
i can only agree with both hands to what Mike was saying.
Any info concerning the 6502 should be gathered and widespread.
I for myself do nothing "usefull" with my 6502 machines but what fun !!!
Would the ones having data on Ohio Scientific (OSI) boards,Panasonic HHC (RL-1400 and RL-1800) hand held computers and the like stand up and speak !!!
I used to have schematics for the OSI's,OS65D disassembly etc,etc.All that is allas long gone:it seems youngsters will never learn.....
Be the 6502 with you! :wink:
René.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:24 pm 

I'm often disappointed by what various people say about something being dead when it's still very much a sensible, viable solution. These are often the bean counters who want to capitalize off the newest gee-whiz stuff, or even the industry trade magazines trying to attract attention and bolster subscriptions by pretending to have a crystal ball, who say "this is the wave of the future and you're going to be left behind and unprofitable and out of style if you don't go along with it." To some extent, the prophesy is only self-fulfilling. After all, those who believe them will feel the appeal to fear of getting left behind if they don't keep taking the magazine. The magazine also doesn't want to look like something took them by surprise.

A few years ago I was talking to a friend about a 6502-based STD-bus SBC I had used. (STD, BTW, stands for "simple to design," not "standard.") He called up the company to try to get one of these SBCs, and they basically told him, "forget it—STD bus is dead." Later that year, Ziatech, one of the companies supplying STD-bus cards, had kind of an infomercial in ECN magazine, saying their STD business had been growing at a rate of 35%/year for the last couple of years, and they had just had their largest STD order ever that spring. The reason they gave for the growth was that STD stressed proven reliability and availability for immediate needs, not leading-edge performance.

This partly is also what the 65 family is all about. Although various companies have gone by the wayside, I don't think the 65c02 and some of the related parts will ever die. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the 65 family experiences a revival in the coming years. I'm glad WDC is able to carry on the type of IP-licensing business they have. I wish they were more aggressive about promoting the 65 family, but apparently Bill Mensch is happy with what he has going there and plans to continue it indefinitely. I've never heard of any acknowledgement of 6502.org on the part of WDC, probably because they want to have a more professional image; but I do expect that 6502.org and the 6502 web ring, albeit more-or-less a hobbyist organization at this time, will to a substantial extent be responsible for the future staying power or even growth of the 65 family. Edit, more than ten years later: I am pleased by how this forum has grown in expertise over the years. There are quite a few very knowledgeable people here, and WDC now has links to it on their site.

Then whatever companies are involved with the 65 family at that time can thank us for having posted all these resources. Ironically, they too might not publicly acknowledge this group, wanting instead to appear more professional. That's ok. We'll reap some benefits anyway.

Garth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:36 pm 

From reading the replies so far, I think I may have mis-worded my original post; OK, so I take the points made about copyright &c, but I was more interested in whether people are interested reading the articles.

(BTW, as it happens, there's a nice article on copyright issues in the current - issue 102 - "PC Pro" magazine here in the UK.)

Anyhaw, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but - any (further) interest?

--Martin

Post subject: Re: Submissions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:35 am 
Site Admin

mdpenny wrote:
Anyhaw, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but - any (further) interest?

Martin,

I'd certainly be interested in getting any material that you would care to send to me. I can do all of the web publishing work for you, just send me the content. I am currently working on posting material from Dallas Shell and Garth Wilson. It would be very nice to get some more projects and code posted on 6502.org.

Best Regards,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:08 pm 

OK, I'll see what I can do.

--Martin

.sig in beta - full release to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:18 am 

esarintulo wrote:
Would the ones having data on Ohio Scientific (OSI) boards.....

I used to have schematics for the OSI's,OS65D disassembly etc,etc.All that is allas long gone:it seems youngsters will never learn.....
René.

I have the schematics and quite fair bit of other info on the OSI CPU600 and it's clones (Compukit). Eventually I'll post it all on my site but until then if there's anything you need just ask.

Cheers,

Lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:23 pm 

I thank you,Lee,for your offer.
I'm actually in need of nothing special,being a Synertek SYM-1 "fanatic"
and having seen all my dreams come true,thanks to Dallas Shell (and all).
Hovever,stuff on 6502 is precious stuff and there is never enough of it.
Thanks to give us your Web page coordinates.
Keep it running !! :wink:
René.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:31 pm 

Hi René,why not read carefully before jumping at your keyboard ???? The Infos concerning
Lee's site are already there........Pffffff
René (who's that ??? Oh,it's me,sorry !!) :oops: