6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 am 

One of the more impressive home-brew computers that I have seen lately:

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlesta ... or_battle/

Color me impressed!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:55 pm 

Ah, I just saw this the other day - the project author was kind enough to give me a mention as they reused my SD card and FAT16 code.

A combination of 6502 + TMS9918 is fairly unusual, although my homebrew is the same (however I make use of 65c02) - so they could have reused my video driver code too!

Most TMS9918s will be found in the MSX-1 range which was Z80 driven. I only saw one 6502 based machine like this which was the VTech CreatiVision (Dick Smith Wizzard in Australia).

I was glad to see the VTech machine as at the least it proved that interfacing with a 6502 was entirely possible, and I have it working more than 2.5 times faster than the VTech's 2Mhz clock speed.

Considering the TMS9918 came out in 1979, it is not half bad for the time - 32 hardware sprites, bit mapped graphics mode, 15 colours. Conveniently it outputs composite video so easy to hook up to a display. It has separate video ram, which is great, but the 6502 can only get at it through the video chip interface so it is slow to do large updates such is required for scrolling type games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:13 pm 

If you're sneaky enough, you can get real time, colour 3d graphics out of the 9929 VDP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novuWsQ24-U

That particular game runs on a 4mhz Z80, but I can see no reason why the 6502 couldn't produce something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:48 pm 

Oh, that's impressive, clever and interesting! It looks 3D but in a sense it's a Dragon's Lair pre-rendered forking video stream. Where the video is not only delta-compressed but rendered as executable code.
http://www.nyangau.org/hextrain/hextrain.htm
"This game has animated 3D solid graphics at 192x128, in 15 colours, at 16 frames per second, ... which of course is quite impossible"
"If you run the compiler, you'll see it render all the frames and calculate all the deltas, producing the ht.bin file. This can take 7 minutes, and will produce a file approximately 200MB in size, containing over 300 paths, a similar number of frames, and over 66000 compressed deltas."
"The MTX code loads the delta from the disk, and then executes it."