6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:04 am 

Hey everyone!

Just seeing if I could get some direction and/or advice. Lately I've been fascinated with the PIC16's and particularly I chose to start playing with a whopper, the PIC16F887 in the DIP40 package. The main reason why is for it to replace the ROM on my next 6502 design, but then it can double as my I/O device for keyboard/audio/SDcard.

Attached is a proto-schematic of what I'm thinking so far. Essentially the PIC is attached to the data bus through a '245, selected through a '138 (or a CPLD, etc). Here it should be selected when the 6502 is looking for a reset vector, but there are other configurations possible such as DMA in conjunction with the BE/RDY line, etc. After bootloading, the PIC16 could send interrupts on a timer or when keyboard/SDcard data is ready, giving the PIC16 plenty of time to set up the data bus while leaving the 6502 to do none of the hard lifting. It wouldn't be as fast as interfacing with a VIA, but most of the internal programming of the PIC16 would optimize what data does need to be transferred.

Any ideas on what might work best? Any links from previous builds? I'm open to suggestions of any kind!

Thanks guys.

Chad

EDIT: Added Black and White version of the picture. Sorry BDD!

Attachments:
6502andPIC16.png
6502andPIC16.png [ 65.28 KiB | Viewed 41120 times ]
6502andPIC16.png
6502andPIC16.png [ 126.46 KiB | Viewed 41171 times ]

Last edited by sburrow on Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:09 am 

sburrow wrote:
Hey everyone!

Just seeing if I could get some direction and/or advice. Lately I've been fascinated with the PIC16's and particularly I chose to start playing with a whopper, the PIC16F887 in the DIP40 package. The main reason why is for it to replace the ROM on my next 6502 design, but then it can double as my I/O device for keyboard/audio/SDcard.

I do something similar on my Ruby boards, but with an ATmega1280p. (40-pin DIP package). the µC boots the 65xx, acts as a serial port and runs all the filing system code. (It also has a serial translation layer that converts from Acorn VDU codes to ANSI codes so programs that to text screen stuff - like editors - can run unchanged on any old terminal that supports ANSI as well as the dedicated RubyTerm program that handles graphics)

However in my case, the µC isn't acting as a ROM as such - it's not fast enough to keep up with the 65xx @ 16Mhz so I do it differently. (Although I did consider having the µC clock the 65xx at one point)

But I don't see any reason your way shouldn't work if the PIC can sample the ROM select signals (A13:15] and respond fast enough. (I know very little about PICs - like their max. clock speed?)

Ah - just done a quick search - 32Mhz - might be fast enough for a 6502 at 8Mhz... Hard to know though.

Is the buffer needed? Can't you tri-state the pins on the PIC?

Could the PIC generate the /PIC116F signal to save an IC?

In Ruby, I also connect A8:15 to the µC too. A0:7 are pulled high - that way the µC can access the top 256 bytes of RAM in a mutually exclusive way and communication is via the Rdy signal (65xx executes WAI)

In my original 6502 board I used a GAL to soak-up the glue TTL - R/W qualification, address decode for a VIA, etc.

There is latency in the way I do it though - the ATmega needs time to switch the buses over - tristate/release, etc. PIC might be faster. I do get about 33KB/sec transfer over the interface though which is fast enough.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:21 am 

Not a hundred miles away from my STM thoughts here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7711 (I have the board downstairs but I haven't got around to building it or writing any software yet) though in that case I am doing only the initial program load - any size that fits in the STM's flash - by faking the data that the 6502 sees during boot, and using the STM as an SPI serial port thereafter.

The STM is reasonably nifty when it comes to changing port directions but disappointingly slow at responding to interrupts (so you couldn't use it as a standalone peripheral or memory where you needed it to do something on e.g. a chip select _unless_ you also use it to control the 6502's clock).

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:24 am 

drogon wrote:
But I don't see any reason your way shouldn't work if the PIC can sample the ROM select signals (A13:15] and respond fast enough.

I have been going off the assumption that the the PIC will be considerably slower than the 6502 in reaction time. It takes 4 clock cycles to do one instruction, and thus I don't think I can reliably have it load data onto the bus or tri-state in time for things to work smoothly. Unless the 6502 is running in the kHz range during bootloading I suppose.

drogon wrote:
There is latency in the way I do it though - the ATmega needs time to switch the buses over - tristate/release, etc. PIC might be faster. I do get about 33KB/sec transfer over the interface though which is fast enough.

I don't think the PIC is any faster.

barnacle wrote:
The STM is reasonably nifty when it comes to changing port directions but disappointingly slow at responding to interrupts

Yep, I'm expecting that. I know the PIC isn't inherently designed for 6502 systems, but the possibility of replacing the ROM and VIA in one chip sounds nice. I read through that link you sent, thank you.

Things to think about, thank you!

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:02 am 

sburrow wrote:
drogon wrote:
But I don't see any reason your way shouldn't work if the PIC can sample the ROM select signals (A13:15] and respond fast enough.

I have been going off the assumption that the the PIC will be considerably slower than the 6502 in reaction time. It takes 4 clock cycles to do one instruction, and thus I don't think I can reliably have it load data onto the bus or tri-state in time for things to work smoothly. Unless the 6502 is running in the kHz range during bootloading I suppose.

In the "romless" threads here I did consider a system, but never got round to even posting it let alone testing it - that was to have a switch on the clock, so that one way clock pulses came from the oscillator and the other way it could be "hand-cranked" from the µC. So the µC gets the clock, resets the 6502, then because we know the exact number of clock pulses that the '02 need during reset, vector fetch and so on, we can hand-crank the 6502 and feed it data as required, so after its done the JMP (resetV) we feed it instructions in the order LDA #xx ; STA $yyyy to get it to fill RAM with the boot code then a final JMP to the start and switch the clock over. You need to pay attention to R/W and so on, but that's do-able.

To get the µC to act as a slow VIA - clock-stretching? Or again flipping the clock switch... It all starts to get a bit messy though...

Quote:
drogon wrote:

I don't think the PIC is any faster.

barnacle wrote:
The STM is reasonably nifty when it comes to changing port directions but disappointingly slow at responding to interrupts

Yep, I'm expecting that. I know the PIC isn't inherently designed for 6502 systems, but the possibility of replacing the ROM and VIA in one chip sounds nice. I read through that link you sent, thank you.

Things to think about, thank you!

Chad

Can a CPLD emulate a VIA and an ACIA/UART? I've not really looked at them past the old GALs, although I have been dabbling with an FPGA which would be a billion times more capable but the complexity?

Actually a single chip CPLD solution that did UART, SPI and VIA - although it doesn't really need to do full VIA, just 2 x 8-bit ports with handshaking and separate timers, so separate blocks inside the same chip...

Other things in a similar light to this include the PiTubeDirect project - this connects a Raspberry Pi directly to the bus on a BBC Micro at 2Mhz. a 1GHz Pi can emulate the FIFOs used in the original Acorn Tube interface but AIUI the code is tight and almost on the limits. (There are architectural issues with very high speed/precise timings on the Pi - nothing really to do with it's CPU clock though).

The other projects are using the RP2040 µC. It's better suited for this - as it's used in the Neo6502 and Pico6502 projects - the RP2040 emulates RAM and I'm not sure what else, but it's probably able to emulate a VIA, ACIA, etc. if someone writes the code.

But is that getting a bit far away from the goal? It's a tricky one to know or judge. In my Ruby project in the ATmega there is about 8000 lines of *.c and *.h files plus the FAT32 library plus my own real-time bare-metal OS/Harness that I run everything under... But what would the equivalent be in (say) VHDL to describe a VIA or ACIA? Or is it not even worth drawing those sorts of parallels ...

... although I do look back at some other "period" systems - the Apple II being the most successful - and it moved from a raft of TTL to VLSI chips, combining more and more functionality into custom ICs from '77 to about '85... Even up to '91 with the whole of an Apple IIe on a single plug-in card for the Macintoshes of that time... And today I get cycle-accurate Apple II and BBC Micro emulators in my web browser... Are we just progressing on from that?

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:31 pm 

If I recall correctly, the RP2040 has a couple of clever-bugger digital interfaces that take a lot of load off an emulator.

AVR has some very fast interrupts on even some older models: I could accurately generate PAL video using the internal timing, with no glitches or jitter. But it required it to be asleep and responding to a timer interrupt to have determinative interrupt response times, though. Which meant that I had a program which apart from half a microsecond or so when it went to sleep at the end of each line, ran entirely as an interrupt routine...

I think we have a number of things to consider: are we using an attached microcontroller as
  • a generic I/O device
  • a storage device
  • a boot controller
  • generic memory
and probably others I've forgotten.

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:05 pm 

barnacle wrote:
If I recall correctly, the RP2040 has a couple of clever-bugger digital interfaces that take a lot of load off an emulator.

There are 8 programmable state machines that you can use to help off-load some of the pin control functionality.

Quote:
AVR has some very fast interrupts on even some older models: I could accurately generate PAL video using the internal timing, with no glitches or jitter. But it required it to be asleep and responding to a timer interrupt to have determinative interrupt response times, though. Which meant that I had a program which apart from half a microsecond or so when it went to sleep at the end of each line, ran entirely as an interrupt routine...

I don't recall it being that fussy - You need to take a regular interrupt every 64µS then send out 40 bytes via the 2nd SPI (USART) interface inside that 64µS interval - SPI clock at 8Mhz. You get plenty of time left over at the end of each line to do useful work and during vertical refresh. Well, "plenty" being subjective as the interrupt routine generating the frame needs some 70% of all CPU cycles with a 16Mhz clock... I didn't have any issues with using the other serial port with interrupts at the same time when I did my experiments, or taking another timer interrupt - however things did run slow as all interrupts were disabled during each scan line of 40 bytes (320 pixels). My code was entirely in C to generate a 320x240 pixel display using 9.5KB of the internal 16KB RAM.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zhGUbVxdU

is running entirely on the ATmega. My plan was to use the ATmega as a video peripheral from the 6502, but when I tested it, it really wasn't fast enough for a good experience.

Quote:
I think we have a number of things to consider: are we using an attached microcontroller as
  • a generic I/O device
  • a storage device
  • a boot controller
  • generic memory
and probably others I've forgotten.

Neil

The main other (for me) is personal preference... Just how "authentic" do you want to stay to those old times ...

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:37 pm 

drogon wrote:
Can a CPLD emulate a VIA and an ACIA/UART? I've not really looked at them past the old GALs, although I have been dabbling with an FPGA which would be a billion times more capable but the complexity?

Actually a single chip CPLD solution that did UART, SPI and VIA - although it doesn't really need to do full VIA, just 2 x 8-bit ports with handshaking and separate timers, so separate blocks inside the same chip...
-Gordon

CPLD can emulate an ACIA easy enough. Even a small 64-macrocell CPLD can do it. In this case the ACIA is already set up to receive say, 115200 N81 and its Receive Data Ready is wired to 6502's RDY, so every serial data received will single step 6502 one clock. The PC can leisurely send the blind boot opcode sequence to ACIA which will be executed by 6502 and install a small file loader program in 6502's RAM and then jump to it. The file loader can remap the ACIA to use it as a regular serial port to load files the normal way.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:03 pm 

drogon wrote:
In the "romless" threads here I did consider a system, but never got round to even posting it let alone testing it - that was to have a switch on the clock, so that one way clock pulses came from the oscillator and the other way it could be "hand-cranked" from the µC. So the µC gets the clock, resets the 6502, then because we know the exact number of clock pulses that the '02 need during reset, vector fetch and so on, we can hand-crank the 6502 and feed it data as required, so after its done the JMP (resetV) we feed it instructions in the order LDA #xx ; STA $yyyy to get it to fill RAM with the boot code then a final JMP to the start and switch the clock over. You need to pay attention to R/W and so on, but that's do-able.

That's more or less what I did, which is described in the topic at viewtopic.php?p=91876#p91876 .  It's completed and tested, but unfortunately the main computer project I plan to put it in has been on the back burner for a while.

PIC16 is not particularly fast, despite all the boasting Microchip used to do about it.  Topping out at 20MHz, it does a little under 5 MIPS, which is approximately equal to 2.5MIPS of a 65c02 since the 65c02 has a much richer instruction set and can do the job with half as many instructions.  The difference is more severe with interrupts; and to do the equivalent of the 65c02's 4- or 5-clock LDA address,X takes the PIC16 48 clocks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:35 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
That's more or less what I did, which is described in the topic at viewtopic.php?p=91876#p91876 .  It's completed and tested, but unfortunately the main computer project I plan to put it in has been on the back burner for a while.

PIC16 is not particularly fast, despite all the boasting Microchip used to do about it.  Topping out at 20MHz, it does a little under 5 MIPS, which is approximately equal to 2.5MIPS of a 65c02 since the 65c02 has a much richer instruction set and can do the job with half as many instructions.  The difference is more severe with interrupts; and to do the equivalent of the 65c02's 4- or 5-clock LDA address,X takes the PIC16 48 clocks.

But I'm guessing you are not wanting to use it as an I/O device past the bootloader stage?

Thank you all for the input!

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:57 pm 

sburrow wrote:
But I'm guessing you are not wanting to use it as an I/O device past the bootloader stage?

Right.  Once the boot code is loaded, the PIC gets out of the picture.  I think the PIC would be much, much too slow to use it as a general I/O device.  What you might be able to do is treat it as a separate processor that handles large I/O jobs, and offload such a job to the PIC so that it can do the munching with little or no additional attention from the main processor.  That's what I did with the work project nearly ten years ago I told you about, where a second PIC was used to generate a constant sine-wave signal.  The main PIC only told it what frequency and very little else, and then let it run.  The communication between the two PICs was by SPI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:20 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
sburrow wrote:

Right.  Once the boot code is loaded, the PIC gets out of the picture.  I think the PIC would be much, much too slow to use it as a general I/O device.  What you might be able to do is treat it as a separate processor that handles large I/O jobs, and offload such a job to the PIC so that it can do the munching with little or no additional attention from the main processor.  That's what I did with the work project nearly ten years ago I told you about, where a second PIC was used to generate a constant sine-wave signal.  The main PIC only told it what frequency and very little else, and then let it run.  The communication between the two PICs was by SPI.

One of the reasons why I'm wanting to use the PIC as an I/O device (despite it's speed) is because it has a great number of pins, is programmable, and as we know I/O does not need to be accessed all the time like RAM or ROM. What I'm planning on doing is when the PIC is accessed (kind of like a VIA would), I'll have some logic to set RDY low until the PIC has time to respond, put what info it needs on the data bus, then bring RDY back high. Not ideal, but the payoff seems great.

But another secondary concern (and going off topic a bit) is running the VIA at high speeds. Not to give away all my plans, but I'm not seeing a great deal of viability with the 65816 + VIA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the addresses and CS lines must be set by the time PHI2 rises. On the 6502, that's no problem because it drives all of the addresses during PHI2-low also. But on the 65816, it drives the lower addresses, but those higher addresses are not yet available until PHI2 rises. If I were using an external 74HC138 or some such to select the VIA, I can see where it would lead to problems. The only option would be to adjust the rising edge of the clock on the VIA to come after PHI2 has already risen, but at higher speeds it's not as easy to divide the speed down for those type of logic situations. If you know more about it than me, I'm all ears. It would certainly be faster than the PIC. Maybe I could use them together somehow, or connect the PIC to the VIA through serial connection or something.

Thank you Garth.

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:39 pm 

sburrow wrote:
One of the reasons why I'm wanting to use the PIC as an I/O device (despite it's speed) is because it has a great number of pins, is programmable, and as we know I/O does not need to be accessed all the time like RAM or ROM. What I'm planning on doing is when the PIC is accessed (kind of like a VIA would), I'll have some logic to set RDY low until the PIC has time to respond, put what info it needs on the data bus, then bring RDY back high. Not ideal, but the payoff seems great.

You're describing my Ruby system...

The 65xx sets the Rdy low by executing a WAI instruction and the ATmega kick-starts it again by sending it an interrupt. It's as simple as that. (ish).

So for the most part, the ATmega sits in the loop polling the Rdy input and when it goes low, it pulls BE low then can attach itself to the RAM, read the RAM for a command/data, do what it needs to do, write data back to the RAM, then release BE and send an interrupt.

Normally the ATmega doesn't restart the 65xx until it's done, but I buffer up serial data on the 65xx side, so it sends a buffer when the buffer is full, a "flush" command, or it requests input - then it sends all the data at once to the ATmega, then once the ATmega has copied it and fed it into the interrupt-driven serial output, it lets the 6502 go again.

I have thought about overlapping other operations, (e.g. filesystem) but I don't feel it's worth it.

Quote:
But another secondary concern (and going off topic a bit) is running the VIA at high speeds. Not to give away all my plans, but I'm not seeing a great deal of viability with the 65816 + VIA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the addresses and CS lines must be set by the time PHI2 rises. On the 6502, that's no problem because it drives all of the addresses during PHI2-low also. But on the 65816, it drives the lower addresses, but those higher addresses are not yet available until PHI2 rises. If I were using an external 74HC138 or some such to select the VIA, I can see where it would lead to problems. The only option would be to adjust the rising edge of the clock on the VIA to come after PHI2 has already risen, but at higher speeds it's not as easy to divide the speed down for those type of logic situations. If you know more about it than me, I'm all ears. It would certainly be faster than the PIC. Maybe I could use them together somehow, or connect the PIC to the VIA through serial connection or something.

I don't have an issue with the VIA in my (16Mhz) system - it's independent of the ATmega and decoded by a GAL. I don't have the usual Latch and Data bus buffer on my board, just a GAL to do the latch and another GAL to do the decode (512KB RAM with $00FExx for the VIA. Right now it's not really doing anything more than sending 1000 ints/sec to the 65816 but I also use it for IO to e.g. LCD displays and other things including a Raspberry Pi using the parallel handshaking feature of the VIA - and that's a way to talk to/from the 65xx back to the PIC once the PIC has booted the system but you'd need to use otherwise un-connected pins on the PIC rather than the ones you use to boot the 65xx.

-Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:05 pm 

drogon wrote:

The 65xx sets the Rdy low by executing a WAI instruction and the ATmega kick-starts it again by sending it an interrupt. It's as simple as that. (ish).

So for the most part, the ATmega sits in the loop polling the Rdy input and when it goes low, it pulls BE low then can attach itself to the RAM, read the RAM for a command/data, do what it needs to do, write data back to the RAM, then release BE and send an interrupt.

-Gordon

Oh that's awesome Gordon, great idea! Since I'm already planning on the PIC acting as a DMA bootloader, why not *also* DMA some I/O information. Ha! I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:33 pm 

sburrow wrote:
drogon wrote:

-Gordon

Oh that's awesome Gordon, great idea! Since I'm already planning on the PIC acting as a DMA bootloader, why not *also* DMA some I/O information. Ha! I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chad

The ATmega can "see" the top 256 bytes of RAM - so to boot, it pokes the bootloader there (about 150 bytes), pokes the reset vector, then take the 6502 out of reset. Then the bootloader copies itself to lower RAM and communicates with the ATmega to pull in the OS image, 128 bytes at a time, then jumps to the OS.

There are "stubs" in the OS to handle files, etc. so applications call the relevant things in the OS and off it goes.

Also, when running BCPL on the '816, the ATmega also acts as a floating point co-processor... You put 2 numbers plus the op-code into the memory at $FF00, do the WAI thing, and when you return the result is in $FF00 and off you go...

Basically, there is a list of codes that the 65xx uses to communicate to the ATmega.

There is latency as the Atmega needs to switch ports to input or output mode from tristate, pull BE low, output the address + r/w to the RAM to get the data from it, do the thing, write the data back, then tristate its lines and let the 65xx run. The 128 byte 'window' is because the hardware and software vectors in the top of $FFxx, so there is a 128 byte window and 4 bytes for commands and return codes. I could probably reduce latency if I coded it all in avr assembler, but C is good enough.

-Gordon