6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: So I have a question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

[The post's contents are deleted by the moderator, because the original poster edited it and changed out the original contents for a long ad for skateboard parks and a political tirade. The replies to the original post are left intact.]

Last edited by letuandk on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: So I have a question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 pm 

Welcome! Some low-voltage parts are tolerant of higher voltages, but some aren't - I think I'd say that most aren't. The thing to do is to read the datasheet of the part you have in mind. It's a useful skill anyway, to read a datasheet. Somewhere you're likely to see 'absolute maximum voltages' for inputs, which is usually half a volt higher than the power supply.

So, with very careful component selection, you can make a mixed-supply design. (If this is your first design, or your first build, I'd recommend you leave as much difficult stuff out until the thing is working.)

If you can't find components which can do this for you, you can instead add some specific level-shifting components in between the 3V and the 5V parts of your design. Have a search in the forum - several such components have been mentioned in previous threads.

(And do feel free to contribute to an existing thread, even if it's very old - so long as you're on-topic, that's fine here.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:17 pm 

letuandk wrote:
Cause I am thinking data bus isolators that will allow the use of 5V on one side and the 3.6V on the other side would induce additional delays in the data which wouldn't be good either.
Right. The additional delay would diminish or even outweigh the benefit of running the CPU at 5 volts. IMO your best option (if you're determined to use that particular RAM) is to just run the CPU at the lower voltage, too.

Despite using a 3.3V supply, one forum member reports running an '816 at 24 MHz. :shock: Of course YMMV. Depending on address decoding and so on, other designs may have a lower ceiling.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm 

letuandk, the CY7C1069AV33-10ZXC is apparently obsolete. I wouldn't doubt if there's a replacement that most users would consider to be exactly the same thing; but I haven't searched. I sell a 4Mx8 10n 5V SRAM module which is much more hobbyist-friendly, assembled and tested, for not much more than the price of the part you were looking at. I uses eight Cypress 512Kx8 5V 10ns SRAM ICs in SOJ-36, four on each side of the board.