6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:39 am 

X1 is the pin name. It's roughly equivalent to the 65c51's XTLI pin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 am 

After a long period of not doing anything more with this topic I have gotten some work done on a paper describing how to create a driver for the 28L91. The paper is not complete but does have enough information in it to help you design your driver software. See the first post in this topic for the download (PDF).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:24 pm 

Thanks for doing this.

I am slowly getting back on the saddle with my SBC and this is just what I needed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 am 

cbmeeks wrote:
Thanks for doing this.

I am slowly getting back on the saddle with my SBC and this is just what I needed.

I too am working on something.

I think I leaped too far ahead with POC V2. The combination of programmable logic and the four serial I/O channels running in a QUART that was unfamiliar to me proved to be too much to debug all at one time, especially given the test gear at my disposal. My new something will be a discrete logic unit (74AC) with four serial channels using two 28L92 DUARTs. The logic will be more-or-less modeled on POC V1.1, which is (apparently) bug-free and rock-solid at 12.5 MHz. I'll be posting more about this once I have a design worked out and a schematic drawn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:41 am 

Hey guys,

I built a 65c02 based computer and I'm attempting to use the SC28L92, so far with some success, but am having a bit of a timing issue I believe. I found that running at 12mhz was too fast and had some trouble getting good reads and clearing interrupts in time. After backing it down to 8mhz I'm able to get good solid communication with my status registers, but I'm getting occasional corruption reading the input. To test this theory I ran the system directly off the 3.8xxxmhz clock the duart is running on and I'm now rock solid. I really don't want to run my 65c02 that slow and would idealy like to stay at 8mhz at minimum but I'm not sure how to get the timing in sync.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:02 am 

jbaum81 wrote:
I built a 65c02 based computer and I'm attempting to use the SC28L92...

My POC V1.1 unit, which is equipped with a 28L92, will run at 14 MHz without wait-stating. For that reason, and especially since you are using the 65C02 (you didn't indicate who manufactured your 65C02), I suspect your problem is not with the DUART itself.

Rather than dilute this topic with general hardware stuff, may I suggest you start a new topic for your project in the Hardware subforum? Give it a suitable title, describe the problem in as much detail as you can and above all, post a clear schematic of the entire unit, preferably in monochrome. We can read your schematic and perhaps give you some guidance.

There are some "gotchas" involving the 28L92 and indexed reads/writes with the 65C02. You may have fallen victim to one of them. Ergo it might be helpful to post some source code of your DUART initialization routine, plus the interrupt service routine that handles the DUART. It's better if source code is posted in text files, rather than embedded in your forum post. You can upload and attach files to your post, which is convenient.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:45 am 

Welcome, jbaum81! As BDD says, your query is best made as a new topic. This forum is quiet enough that everything is seen - don't worry about not being seen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:07 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
jbaum81 wrote:
I built a 65c02 based computer and I'm attempting to use the SC28L92...

My POC V1.1 unit, which is equipped with a 28L92, will run at 14 MHz without wait-stating. For that reason, and especially since you are using the 65C02 (you didn't indicate who manufactured your 65C02), I suspect your problem is not with the DUART itself.

Rather than dilute this topic with general hardware stuff, may I suggest you start a new topic for your project in the Hardware subforum? Give it a suitable title, describe the problem in as much detail as you can and above all, post a clear schematic of the entire unit, preferably in monochrome. We can read your schematic and perhaps give you some guidance.

There are some "gotchas" involving the 28L92 and indexed reads/writes with the 65C02. You may have fallen victim to one of them. Ergo it might be helpful to post some source code of your DUART initialization routine, plus the interrupt service routine that handles the DUART. It's better if source code is posted in text files, rather than embedded in your forum post. You can upload and attach files to your post, which is convenient.

Thank you so much for the fast response BDD, I'll work on gathering up these materials and will post. In the interim my 65c02 is a new WDC IC.

EDIT: :oops: :oops: Never underestimate the power of decoupling caps, even though I have a tons of them all over my board near the IC's, I didn't have any on my breadboard that I'm using to build the circuit for the 28L92. As soon as I added some caps my communications cleaned right up and the serial is stable at 12Mhz, I do still have some stability issues with the system at 12mhz but that may be something else. I'll post in a new thread.

As an aside, the 28L92 is a nice chip, So many options with the registers and it works very well.