6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:47 am 

Last week I was playing with a PDP-8 replica (see here, here and here) and noticed that it has just a 12 bit address space - 4k words - but with a scheme for up to 8 banks of memory (which it calls fields.) It seemed like a very simple scheme which might need minimal hardware, so I started thinking about how to do the same thing for a 6502 or 65C02. [The 65816 already has a solution for extended memory addressing!]

As it happens, I misunderstood what the PDP-8 offers: it has two bank registers, one is for indirect addressing and the other is for everything else. This is a little like the 6509, which has one for opcodes B1 and 91 and another register for everything else. That is, LDA and STA (zp),Y. We discussed that here. It's also a little like Acorn's in-house extended-address machine, which we discussed here - in that case, it modifies all 16 opcodes which use (zp) and (zp),Y addressing modes to add a third byte to the indirect address.

(Let me mention in passing previous ideas of using a TTL register file to act as an MMU. The tgl6502 does something similar, in physical emulation. Acorn's Beeb and the C64 and Apple II all have some distinguished memory range which can map any one of several devices - much like plugging in a different chip or cartridge which always appears at the same place in memory. The Apple III has a much more complex scheme, implemented with the help of a custom chip. Jeff's own KimKlone has a few high-address registers which come into play using custom opcodes or opcode prefixes.)

In discussion with Jeff, he pointed out some useful distinctions. For example, between three kinds of schemes:
- where some opcodes are treated specially
- where different address ranges are treated specially
- where different types of memory access are treated specially

Jeff also pointed out that using a wide pointer into a window of size 8k or 16k - or anything other than 256 bytes or a full 64k - requires some shifting and masking to assemble the right physical address.

Anyway, back to my thinking about a 6502 with minimal mapping hardware. I was thinking of just two memory extension registers, and thinking that one would apply to code and the other to data, and just adding high bits and therefore banking the whole 64k memory at once. By code I mean both the opcode and the operands, but nothing else. I wanted to avoid counting cycles and modelling the different instruction lengths as much as possible.

(I should confess I've done no thinking about interrupts. If the hardware needs to use interrupts, there's a need to preserve and restore the bank(s) before and after, and a need to map in the vectors at the right time, or to replicate them in each bank. Replication of vectors and handlers might be enough... but that does puncture the larger address space, if each bank has some fixed mapping in it, which then makes it harder to point at data structures which span bank boundaries.)

The minimum address extension would be a single 8 bit latch, half of which provides 4 bits of address extension for code accesses and the other half providing the high nibble for data accesses. For a little increase in complexity we could have two latches and offer up to 8 bits of address extension for each case.

But how to distinguish code cycles from other cycles without counting? It turns out it's enough to detect columns 0 and 8, which is just 3 bits of decode, with one caveat: we need also to detect page one accesses. (For the 65C02 we need to also decode column A, which takes a couple more gates I think.)

So, we need to use SYNC (and RDY if that's in play) to latch at least a few bits of the opcode, and we need to decode the top byte of the address bus to detect page one. (As an enhancement, we could also detect page zero accesses, and treat those specially. And, thinking about the interrupt problem, perhaps page FF accesses too.)

Oh, and we also need always to map the second access, the one after the opcode, because that's always either a dummy or an operand byte. But unlike the Acorn and Apple III schemes, we don't need to count up to six to intercept the final cycles of indexed addressing modes.

So, we've got code accesses satisfied from one bank, and data accesses satisfied by another, or by the same one, depending on how we've set the latches. We've got a single page one for the stack always in a fixed bank, and optionally we've got a single page zero too, always in the same bank.

Question is, is this useful? It's a very simple and very coarse banking.

(As a sketch of how coarse banking might be useful, I think John Kortink's port of BBC Basic to the 816 allows for the Basic program's data to be in bank 1 and for everything else to be in bank 0. So that allows for programs to be up to 40k or so with data up to 64k. The bulk of the OS and all the I/O is in another 64k bank, in fact on another computer. So that's a sketch of three banks in play, all with mostly 16 bit pointers: OS and base machine, user program, user data.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:32 pm 

Hi Ed (and gang):

This is a fascinating subject but I must admit my only experience involves swapping or mapping 16K blocks of RAM from a 64K or a 128K RAM card into upper address space ($D000..$FFFF) on the Apple II. How was that useful back then? Well, one 16K 'bank' on these RAM cards was often used to hold either Integer or Applesoft BASIC to complement whatever version was contained in ROM. That's the same functionality you got from the original 16K Apple Language Card. Apple DOS would detect a Language Card or a RAM card during boot-up and automatically load the RAM card with the opposite version of BASIC from that contained in ROM. Switching between versions of BASIC was simply a matter of typing 'INT' or 'FP' at the prompt.

Apple DOS 3.3 could also be loaded into one of the 16K 'banks' on these RAM cards. This would reduce the DOS footprint in the main 48K RAM memory from 10.5K ($9600..$BFFF) to about 2.0K ($B800..$BFFF) which held the three DOS buffers and the memory management routines. BASIC programs would then have 44K of main program memory to work with instead of 35.5K. You can check out the Theory Of Operation for this process starting at page 17 in the Legend 128K Manual.

Anyway, while this bank swapping method is relatively easy to implement, it requires 'custom' software which may limit its usefulness.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited by Michael on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:03 pm 

Thanks - seems Apple's and Acorn's systems have similarities. That manual suggests adding four boards for 512k of RAM - that's a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 pm 

I once considered to use a 74LS610. They can be found on ebay. I think it still is a feasible option. It adds some 70ns to the access time, but with a fast W65C02 and fast RAM you still could go up to 4MHz. This would extend your address space by up to 8 bits. You could also consider to use the 74LS610 only for part of the memory (e.g. $0000-$BFFF).