6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:31 pm 

Quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJ6UdDx1vg

I didn't quite understand all of it, but the gist seems that at certain frequencies a capacitor of a given value might have it's bypass ability nullified (for those frequencies). By putting multiple close values you reduce this effect (someone please correct me if I've read this wrong).

Perhaps this is something that we need to keep in mind for future 6502/65816 designs?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:12 pm 

High-speed-digital design industry guru Dr. Howard Johnson has several short, good write-ups on the subject, indexed at https://web.archive.org/web/20120302190 ... capacitors . I remember him saying that for the capacitor closest to the IC pin, for a given package size and voltage (for example 0402, 16V), you might as well go for the greatest capacitance available, because its equivalent series inductance won't be any higher than that of a capacitor with less capacitance. One of the articles shows how to do the layout to get the least total inductance from the Vcc pin to ground. (Put the via to ground beside the capacitor, not out at the end, and of course keep traces so short they're almost non-existent.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:15 pm 

banedon wrote:
Quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJ6UdDx1vg

I didn't quite understand all of it, but the gist seems that at certain frequencies a capacitor of a given value might have it's bypass ability nullified (for those frequencies). By putting multiple close values you reduce this effect (someone please correct me if I've read this wrong).

Perhaps this is something that we need to keep in mind for future 6502/65816 designs?

This is a technique that has been known since the days of vacuum tubes. Electrolytics, in particular, often have significant series inductance, and thus do a poor job of bypassing high frequencies. It's not uncommon to see a ceramic or mica capacitor in parallel with an electrolytic so as to compensate for this characteristic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:56 am 

In my "overclocking to the extreme" experimentation on AVR and PIC, I often put my scope on the power rail and then drop in different capacitor values to observe the resulting noise.
It's amazing how placement can effect the results. Many times, it's not at all what one would expect, or what the experts would claim.
I have seen the multiple bypass cap effect work as well, especially on the large pin DIP AVRs.
Have even observed changes in the VCC noise by using a variable to "tweak" the best value.
You can never beat real world testing with any amount of theory!

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:28 am 

Someone on the 6502 programming facebook group has on his timeline: "Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works, and no one knows why."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:25 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Someone on the 6502 programming facebook group has on his timeline: "Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works, and no one knows why."

... perfect!

Brad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:33 pm 

I've always used 100nF bypass caps - one per IC. Perhaps I should have a look at 10nF and 1uF as in conjunction for high noise ICs such as the CPU.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am 

Many of his videos are NSFW. Can anyone comment on this one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:05 am 

mojo wrote:

Dave Jones' EEVblog is not safe for work? I'm surprised - that could only be robust language presumably? I don't hear any swearing so far, and unless he dropped an enormous 1970's disk drive on his foot I wouldn't especially expect any.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:07 pm 

mojo wrote:

I don't remember him swearing or anything, but if in doubt use a set of headphones if your work place permits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:25 am 

He uses coarse language at times (you can sometimes tell when it's going to happen, because the pitch of his voice goes from high to higher). But his language is quite tame compared to my every-day expletive-laden tirades, so his videos would definitely be safe at my work. Except, the boss took away our speakers, so ...

Mike B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:46 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
Except, the boss took away our speakers, so ...

Smart boss. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 am 

It's mostly the unfortunate phrases he uses... "one hung low" and "in like Flynn" being the two most common. I don't think I'd get in trouble or anything, I just don't want to recommend that sort of thing to people in a professional environment without a NSFW warning first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:40 am 

I can't quite imagine using out-loud audio at work - either headphones or a private office with a closed door would be a must, for me. (A very rare thing, the private office.) But then I've heard it said by sales types that our offices are like libraries. I'm sure sales people like lots of hubbub, but quiet concentration seems best for engineers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:07 pm 

Yeah, I have worked exclusively in adult-male-only blue-collar environments for over 30 years, so some crude habits have developed which I will need to diligently "unlearn" if I ever get off my @$$ and make the move to white-collar.

Mike B.