6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm 

Aften doing a few robotics projects, I'm finally getting around to adding mass storage to my 6502 SBC (PCB is Rich Cini's modification to Daryl Rictor's design). Rich added an IEC port which I planned to used with an sd2iec adapter as a hopefully quick and easy solution. I recently found out that a new version evo2 exists which includes an onboard RTC and status LCD. So I ordered it from a vendor in Germany and expect it will take a week or so to arrive.

It's just a board, some leads, and an LCD, so it will take a bit of fiddling before it will be useful. However if it works it seems like an easy way to attach an SD card. I'll keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:01 am 

This finally came today and I tried it with my version of Rich Cini's 6502 SBC with the built in IEC port. It looks like a well made product and I was able to set it up with a minimum of fuss. I was able to list the SD card contents, save a file, list the contents again, and the see the file. I powered down the SBC and then put the SD card into a PC and read the contents.

So bottom line is this is a viable way to use SD card mass storage on a 6502 SBC. One issue is that I'm not using a real C64, so I can't initialize the time of year clock using the command channel, but this is a good first step.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:01 pm 

Its probably worth having a look at the Synertek SYM pages, in particular Dallas Shells page which has some details on a ROM based Commodore 1541 compatible DOS for the SYM.

http://6502.org/users/dallas/SYM/SYMDOS2/symdos2.htm

The SD2IEC and EVO2 are two solutions I have been wanting to have a play with for a while, so it is good to know you have had some success with this already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:48 am 

I got tired of the tangle of wires between my SBC and the SD2IEC reader. So I went to a local craft store and picked up a wooden box for $7. After a bit of cutting and drilling everything has a nice new home. I'm still a bit stymied on the LOAD command in ehBasic because I get a syntax error.

In any event here's a video of my current setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhU65KX8rY