6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6522 power on state
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:19 pm 

Does anyone know what the default power on states are for the registers in the 6522? I need to know in particular which way the data direction registers are when powered up. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 6522 power on state
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm 

Just picking up the Synertek data book beside me, I read:
Quote:
The reset input clears all internal registers to logic 0 (except T1 and T2 latches and counters and the shift register). This places all peripheral interface lines in the input state, disables the timers, shift register, etc. and disables interrupting from the chip.

It should be pretty standard in I/O ICs that bidirectional pins default to inputs to make sure two outputs connected to each other (from two different chips) don't short each other out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:51 am 

JimDrew wrote:
Does anyone know what the default power on states are for the registers in the 6522? I need to know in particular which way the data direction registers are when powered up. Thanks!

It may depend on which version of the 6522 you are using. The appropriate data sheet is your friend with something like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:58 pm 

The MOS and Rockwell datasheets do not state the default power-on state (which is why I asked here). I would assume it would be the same as a reset, in that the I/O's would be inputs with everything turned off. I guess it doesn't matter what is the timer latches/counters as long as the timers are turned off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:50 pm 

JimDrew wrote:
The MOS and Rockwell datasheets do not state the default power-on state (which is why I asked here). I would assume it would be the same as a reset, in that the I/O's would be inputs with everything turned off. I guess it doesn't matter what is the timer latches/counters as long as the timers are turned off.

Section 3.9 of the WDC 65C22 data sheet describes the state of the device following a hard reset, which would also apply to a cold start, viz:

3.9 Reset (RESB)

Reset clears all internal registers (except T1 and T2 counters and latches, and the SR. In the RESB
    condition, all pins are placed in the input state and bus holding devices maintain initial level if not driven.
    The initial level can be Logic 1 or Logic 0 and are not initialized by on chip circuitry. Also, T1 and T2, SR
    and the interrupt logic are disabled from operation. All inputs have NOR gates with reset overriding the
    input pin value. Schmitt trigger NOR gates are on CA1, CA2, DB1, CB2, and PH2. Reset has a Schmitt
    trigger inverter input. The W65C22S RESB input has a bus holding device.

You should keep in mind that the 65C22's reset input should be held low until Vcc has stabilized and the Ø2 clock has started. Devices such as the Maxim DS1813 are useful for this purpose, as they generate a programmed reset via a fully resettable timer.

My general philosophy over the years (nearly 40, now, of writing 6502 assembly language programs) has been to assume nothing about a device's state at power-on or reset and configure all registers in a meaningful way, usually with a data table.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:58 pm 

I didn't think about the difference between "power-on state" and "reset," because it is standard for the reset circuit to do its job at power up, not just when someone pushes a button. But yes, it's an interesting situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:11 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I didn't think about the difference between "power-on state" and "reset," because it is standard for the reset circuit to do its job at power up, not just when someone pushes a button. But yes, it's an interesting situation.

Machines like the VIC-20 and Commodore 64 had 555 timers to program the reset at power-on. The delay before release of /RESET was chosen to assure that initial circuit conditions stabilized before the MPU was allowed to start executing instructions. Neither of those machines had a reset push button, but adding one was a common enhancement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 am 

I know that 6522 and 65C22 chips are different, much like 6502 and 65C02 chips are quite a bit different. I guess I need to burn an EPROM and see what the registers look like on power up.