6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hi all,
I'm setting up a website to describe the project I did in the last few months. It is a small computer based on a microprocessor 65C816 and 65C02.
I started today so for now I just put online the wiring diagrams of the computer and a brief description. The wiring diagrams are in PDF format.

This is the link: http://65xx.unet.bz

In the coming days I update the site with detailed descriptions and the software (still incomplete).

Marco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 pm 

granati wrote:
Hi all,
I'm setting up a website to describe the project I did in the last few months. It is a small computer based on a microprocessor 65C816 and 65C02.
I started today so for now I just put online the wiring diagrams of the computer and a brief description. The wiring diagrams are in PDF format.

This is the link: http://65xx.unet.bz

In the coming days I update the site with detailed descriptions and the software (still incomplete).

Marco

Please be sure to post a memory map.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:05 am 

None of the schematics I tried load, they were all broken links. I did not try them all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Thanks for the writeup Marco! I look forward to seeing more about the project.
Cheers
Ed
(I was able to view a PDF OK)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:21 am 

whartung wrote:
None of the schematics I tried load, they were all broken links. I did not try them all.

what browser you use ? for me work fine.
however I have changed the relative path of the PDF documents, I also tested with the IPAD browser and it works. Try again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 am 

I've added your site to the Homebuilt section: http://www.6502.org/homebuilt/
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 am 

BigEd wrote:
I've added your site to the Homebuilt section: http://www.6502.org/homebuilt/
Cheers
Ed

Many Thanks, Ed !
Within the time available to me I will try to update the site with a detailed description of the hardware, the equations of various GAL, and the problems encountered and the solutions found to make the system work the best.
Also put online the software that I have developed so far.
Marco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:54 am 

That would be great - while schematics are definitive, a block diagram or textual description is generally a good way to say what you've built.
And, yes, the software would be great too! Please put in some standard license so it's clear what the status is for copying and for derived works.
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:17 pm 

BigEd wrote:
That would be great - while schematics are definitive, a block diagram or textual description is generally a good way to say what you've built.
And, yes, the software would be great too! Please put in some standard license so it's clear what the status is for copying and for derived works.
Cheers
Ed

I uploaded in the site some pictures, a first memory map and IO map, and some datasheets.
Marco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:25 pm 

granati wrote:
whartung wrote:

what browser you use ? for me work fine.
however I have changed the relative path of the PDF documents, I also tested with the IPAD browser and it works. Try again.

They seem to work fine now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am 

Hi all,
i added in the site the source code that i developed so far.
Marco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 am 

Thanks Marco!
For best effect, according to this flowchart you probably intend a licence like the CC0 license which simply means adding a text like this to each file:
Quote:
To the extent possible under law, Marco Granati has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm 

Well, copyright can't be waived, so a text like that would not serve any purpose. It's better to choose an existing license (MIT or whatever) and add the appropriate license file. It isn't that much more work.
(note that the concept of 'place something into the Public Domain' isn't a legal concept in many countries, for example my own. It's apparently legal in the US.)

-Tor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 pm 

Tor wrote:
Well, copyright can't be waived, so a text like that would not serve any purpose. It's better to choose an existing license (MIT or whatever) and add the appropriate license file. It isn't that much more work.

Copyright can be waived in many countries by legal declaration and/or a properly worded statement in the work. Such a waiver constitutes placement into the public domain in any country that has such a legal concept, and generally is not reversible.

Quote:
(note that the concept of 'place something into the Public Domain' isn't a legal concept in many countries, for example my own. It's apparently legal in the US.)

Just to be clear about it, the term "public domain" is legally used to refer to works that have never had a copyright, e.g. the Bible or the works of the Immortal Bard. In the USA, copyright can be waived by statement or forfeited/declared invalid via the legal system, in which case the work automatically passes into the public domain—the law considers it to never have been copyrighted. The expiration of a copyright doesn't move a work into the public domain. All that happens is the copyright holder's ability to control distribution/reproduction of the work is extinguished. For individual copyright holders, this only happens many years following death.

"Death" itself becomes murky if the holder was not a person. For example, Fiscal Information Inc. held the copyright on the Lt. Kernal disk operating system (and the trademark on the product). However, Fiscal ceased to exist in 1997 after being subsumed by Reynolds and Reynolds—Fiscal the corporation was formally dissolved. Despite some fairly extensive activity, I was not able to find anything of record indicating that the Lt. Kernal DOS copyright was transferred to Reynolds and Reynolds. So who knows what that copyright status might be.

Anyhow, I copyright everything I develop, business or otherwise, even though it will usually be free for distribution, only to avoid the ambiguity that results in countries where public domain isn't legally defined, e.g., Norway. I do prohibit distribution for profit, however, which the copyright statement clearly sets out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:29 pm 

If you develop something, you have the copyright - it's not something you have to claim. This is why it helps to declare what your license is on your works - in the absence of a declaration, your work can't rightly be copied or derivations made.

I suspect the CC0 license is competently worded: it's true that in at least some EU countries, an author can't disclaim their moral right to be identified as the author, but that right isn't generally the obstacle to using some code in another project. I'd agree that an MIT or BSD license is in some ways preferable, but the CC0 seems to me to meet Marco's intent, and is very short!

Cheers
Ed