6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 am 

So my shipment of "big" chips finally arrived from Mouser yesterday -- a few 65c02, 65c22, 2692A, and 65816 (I bought more than one of each because of the shipping costs. I figure you never know when you'll need an extra 65c02, right?). Now, while all the ICs were in anti-static packages, the '816 were in sealed anti-static packages and had humidity warnings. Of, course, I immediately opened it, and inside are those moisture-sucking gel packages, something that looks like a blood-type test patch but for humidity, and instructions to "bake" the CPU if the little circle is pink instead of blue.

So my question is, why the difference between the 65c02 and the 65816? I would have assumed that they are produced in pretty much the same way by now. And when they say "bake", are we really talking about an oven? It's not that we don't put chips in our oven, but (warning, bad pun ahead) we usually call them french fries.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 am 

Do they have an MSL code somewhere on the labels ? This tells you how sensitive these are to moisture. It could be that the two devices aren't made with the exact same packaging.

Anyway, this is only important if you intend to reflow solder them, as the reflow process heats them up quite quickly, and the residual water absorbed by the package turns into steam and causes fractures. Hand soldering won't harm them.

And yes, by "bake" they really talk about an oven. It needs to have the right temperature to let the water evaporate at a controlled rate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:20 pm 

Arlet wrote:
Do they have an MSL code somewhere on the labels ?

Not that I can see it. Thanks for the background info, they had me worried there for a moment. I think I'll just not tell my wife about the baking part ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 am 

scotws wrote:
...the '816 were in sealed anti-static packages and had humidity warnings.

Apparently Mouser did that on their own. The '816 isn't humidity-sensitive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 am 

I think I missed a great opportunity here to play a joke on my kids -- hand them the humidity test card and say, gee, it looks like you're getting a kid sister. My daughter can read already, but my son can't and it would have been worth the look on their faces. Ah, next time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:40 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The '816 isn't humidity-sensitive.

Just curious, but where did you get that information ? I couldn't find any reference on the website or the datasheet about MSL or moisture sensitivity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 am 

Arlet wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
The '816 isn't humidity-sensitive.

Just curious, but where did you get that information ? I couldn't find any reference on the website or the datasheet about MSL or moisture sensitivity.

The 65C816s I have here were acquired directly from WDC, and came in a standard chip tube, not sealed packaging. I initially surmised from that that it wasn't a humidity-sensitive product. A later query to WDC confirmed it. I was told they would have placed that information on the datasheet if it applied.

I've purchased various silicon from Mouser packed in sealed packaging with a humidity test card that I knew wasn't humidity-sensitive. Evidently someone there thinks that anything in a PLCC package must be humidity-sensitive. :?:

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am 

It's also strange to pack something in a humidity controlled package without actually specifying the MSL code. When I get stuff from Digi-Key that's moisture sensitive, they've always included the MSL code. There's a big difference between MSL-2 and MSL-4.