6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm 

Greetings Programs,

You may have noticed (or not!) that I've been less active here than usual for the past few months. That's because Victoria got a new job and we moved to Texas!

Our new house has an outbuilding in the back yard, which our landlady has given me permission to finish and turn into a workshop. This is a fairly pricey project, however, since the outbuilding is totally unfinished and not climate controlled, so I'm saving that for the fall. In the meantime, I've converted a corner of the garage into a makeshift workshop and partially unpacked my tools and supplies.
Attachment:
1000001805.jpg
1000001805.jpg [ 2.71 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]
This week I'm home sick for my birthday ( :roll: ) and I felt like working on a project. Maybe surprisingly, I've never actually built a whole breadboard computer, so I decided to do that. I started out with baby steps. Good news! My DMM still works; my scope still works; I still remember how to cut jumper wires! :D I whipped up a partial schematic:
Attachment:
BlueBoard.pdf [81 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
Not much new in here; it's mostly using simpler versions of ideas from Blue August. It will have a VIA in case I want some output ports, etc., but I'm mostly planning on connecting to it with a serial terminal over an ACIA. I laid the parts out on my breadboard:
Attachment:
PXL_20240418_154318892.jpg
PXL_20240418_154318892.jpg [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]
But there's a twist! I will be using the "wire wrap on breadboards" construction method! Why? No particular reason, except it seems like a neat idea. A retro-computer enthusiast on another forum used this method to give a little more permanence to a very elaborate breadboard system he built. I wired up the power LED and clock generator today (I said baby steps, right?):
Attachment:
1000001804.jpg
1000001804.jpg [ 2.35 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]
So far so good! Getting a nice clean 4MHz signal out of my 74HC74 flip-flop.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 am 

Paganini wrote:
Greetings Programs,

You may have noticed (or not!) that I've been less active here than usual for the past few months. That's because Victoria got a new job and we moved to Texas!

Welcome to Texas! Be sure to stop by sometime and we'll get some BBQ and watch some bats.

:mrgreen:

Curious, why add sockets to the bed board instead of plugging the components directly in?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 pm 

Yuri wrote:
Welcome to Texas! Be sure to stop by sometime and we'll get some BBQ and watch some bats.
:D
Quote:
Curious, why add sockets to the bed board instead of plugging the components directly in?
Partly for tidiness in some cases, but mainly to get good connections. The tactile switch and the DS1813 in the upper left, for example, are loose if you plug them directly into the breadboards. The switch's legs are too short, and the DS1813's legs are too skinny! Some of the ICs are also in sockets, but that's just because they were already in sockets and I didn't bother taking them out (the CPU, for example).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:36 am 

Wired up the control signals this evening:
Attachment:
PXL_20240421_010800266.jpg
PXL_20240421_010800266.jpg [ 2.83 MiB | Viewed 212 times ]
I changed the design a little, too:
Attachment:
CMD2.pdf [95.81 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times
I have a couple of 32Kx8 "wide" Hitachi SRAMs that I thought would be fun to use for this project. I got them in my very first "electronics workshop" order to be spares for Blue April, but never needed them. But then I was thinking about all the extra bus wiring, and just went ahead and put in one of m 64Kx8 "skinny" SRAMs. :) Saves breadboard real-estate, reduces wiring, *AND* it gives me the chance to try out one of the nifty `139 decoding schemes that Mike McLaren shared with me a while ago.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:31 pm 

Can I ask, what the wire wrapping white wire is? (What diameter is the metal core?) Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:51 pm 

gilhad wrote:
Can I ask, what the wire wrapping white wire is? (What diameter is the metal core?) Thank you :)
It's the Good Stuff :D - Jonard Tools 30AWG kynar wire wrapping wire. It's pretty expensive, but every so often the Jonard Amazon store will have this or that color on clearance, so I buy a big spool. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006C ... =UTF8&th=1 I currently have white, black, and blue. The blue is my favorite to work with; it just seems to strip more easily than the other colors, and I get the best good wrap / bad wrap ratio with it. I'll do the address bus with the blue wire, because it has the most wraps. Data bus will be with the black wire.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:21 pm 

Thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 pm 

Paganini wrote:

Yes, welcome to Texas! Depending on where you are in our great state, you might die from tornado, hurricane, drought, or cedar fever. Great time to be alive :)

Yuri wrote:
Be sure to stop by sometime and we'll get some BBQ and watch some bats.

LOL!

Anyways, glad you are back Paganini. I too have been absent for some time, and just decided to pop in and saw your post. Your project seems fun because of it's (current) simplicity. Interesting method of wire-wrap + breadboard, but if you like that then all the better.

Thanks for the updates!

Chad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm 

Hi Chad, good to see you!

sburrow wrote:
Your project seems fun because of it's (current) simplicity. Interesting method of wire-wrap + breadboard, but if you like that then all the better.

Yes, I didn't want anything too challenging, just now. Blue August is still in progress, but partly disassembled, and some of my workshop stuff is still packed. Plus, moving is stressful, and my dog died the day before the movers came to pack up the house (if I keep on like this I'll be sining a country song!) so I wanted something relaxing.

I'm actually really liking the wire-wrap + breadboard combination. It looks kind of strange at first, but it goes really fast. It's pretty similar to my protoboard construction method, except without any soldering.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:45 pm 

sburrow wrote:
Yes, welcome to Texas! Depending on where you are in our great state, you might die from tornado, hurricane, drought, or cedar fever. Great time to be alive :)

Or, you might die of over-regulation if you live in Harris County and are under the thumb of Lina Hidalgo.  :D