6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:25 pm 

I am going to do a completely silly project and build some logic gates using some 5 volt relays. The data sheet says the coil resistance is 130 ohms and 192 mW power. I think this means that roughly 38 mA of current will trigger the coil, which is pretty small.

These relays already have a fly back diode built into their coil, so no need there. But I want to use two diodes as inputs to create an OR gate, and use that to a relay inverter to create a NOR gate. Now if these were transistors I would use switching diodes for this purpose, but relays aren't transistors. However, 38 mA seems small enough that switching diodes would work here too.

Does my reasoning seem sound?

If anyone is curious, I want to build something like a relay counter and make a lot of noise while using the logic outputs to turn on some blinkenlights. Basically a really slow and noisy output device with a 50s retro-future vibe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm 

Martin_H wrote:
However, 38 mA seems small enough that switching diodes would work here too.

Does my reasoning seem sound?
What a delightfully silly project! :) And yes, switching diodes should be fine, as they're generally rated for more current than that.

I like the counter idea. However, it might take some monkeying to make it work. To form each flip-flop, I'm imagining you'll have two relays cross-coupled to form a multivibrator, is that right? And there'll be some capacitors whose values need to be experimented with...

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
I like the counter idea. However, it might take some monkeying to make it work. To form each flip-flop, I'm imagining you'll have two relays cross-coupled to form a multivibrator, is that right? And there'll be some capacitors whose values need to be experimented with...

Thanks. Yes, some relay flip flops will form the basis for the counter. You're correct that some capacitors might be needed, but the whole thing is going to take some trial and error as relay logic isn't something I have done much of.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Martin_H wrote:
I like the counter idea. However, it might take some monkeying to make it work. To form each flip-flop, I'm imagining you'll have two relays cross-coupled to form a multivibrator, is that right?

You guys might find this hard to believe, but I am the inventor of a SR-type relay flip-flop circuit that has a single input.  It consists of two relays, four steering diodes and some resistors.  The circuit is designed so it consistently powers up in a known state, as its original application was in a traffic control system I designed many years ago.  I have the paper copy of the patent application for the traffic control system buried somewhere in my “archives” (US patent 3,893,097, which was issued to yours truly and the guy who was my boss at the time—he knew less about electricity than I know about performing brain surgery :D).  I'll see if I can dig it up and post the flop circuit.

The system in which the flop circuit was used was built with Potter & Brumfield R10 miniature cradle relays, which were available in 2 form C through 8 form C, and were, at the time, the smallest relays to have such a wider range of contact forms.  In those days (early 1970s), use of TTL-style logic circuits in traffic control systems was not yet accepted practice, so everything was electromechanical.  1N400x diodes (usually 1N4002) were used as logic elements where needed.

While the P&B R10 series continues to be available, there are plenty of other choices in small relays, such as from Omron and Panasonic.  Attached are some data sheets for some of my favorites.  Also, Schottky diodes may be used in place of the 1N400x type to get less forward drop and circuit heating.

Attachment:
File comment: Omron G5V1 Low-Signal Relays
g5v1_series.pdf [752.88 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time
Attachment:
File comment: Omron G5V2 Low-Signal Relays
g5v2_series.pdf [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 1 time
Attachment:
File comment: Panasonic NC Series Relays
NC_series.pdf [323.32 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time