6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Writing to RAM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am 

Hi guys

Would someone be able to answer a quick question for me?
When writing to RAM from a 6502 you normally wait for the latter half of the PHI2 cycle to go high before allowing the /WE pin to go low on the RAM.
Is this due to the address not being reliable when pHI2 is low or possibly that data is written only on the rising edge of the RAM's /WE rather than any time /WE is kept high?

I ask as I've created a module designed to with an NMOS 6502A system and, after sending the gerbers off, spotted that I've not qualified /WE going low with PHI2 going high. I can modify the CPLD logic and put in a (bodge) wire from PHI2, but would just like to check if this will be necessary.

Cheers for any replies :)

Post subject: Re: Writing to RAM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 pm 

You can sometimes get away without properly qualifying RAM write/reads and ROM reads, as I found out myself, but this is not the right approach as it will be very dependent on component selection, likely be unstable and will usually create problems you might not see (like bus contention) which could cause issue for you down the road (like when adding interfaces and such). Yeah, I was real good at making this mistake.

Take a look at the following threads, where I, and another, learned from the best folks on this site what to do and why. A lot is explained in these discussions including both what to do and what not to do.

http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5179
http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5180
http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5142

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:48 pm 

From the Address decoding section of the 6502 primer:
Quote:
Notice in the diagram above that Φ2 is involved with the RAM select but nothing else. You must have a way to make sure RAM cannot be written when Φ2 is low! This is one way to do that. Looking at the 6502's timing diagrams in the data sheet, you will see that the address lines are not guaranteed to be valid and stable before the R/W goes low; so it is possible to write to unintended addresses. With an extremely simple program that you might use to see if the computer is working at all, the other addresses it writes to might not be ones you're using yet; but soon they will be, and you'll start writing garbage over your variables, or your stack space, or even your program, when you still need those areas to remain intact. The result will likely be a crash.

RAM latches the data into a cell when the first of three things happens:
  • WE\ goes high
  • CS\ goes high
  • the address changes
(Am I forgetting any other possible conditions?) It is not edge-triggered, but more like a transparent latch. The data can change on the bus and in the RAM cell between when the conditions are set to write and when one of the three things above happen, and the cell in RAM will be left with only the last data that meet the set-up time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:40 pm 

The practical upshot is that because the address isn't guaranteed to be stable until Phi2 goes high, /WE in particular needs to be Phi2-qualified. We usually qualify /OE as well because it's just as easy as merely inverting the R/W line, and it's also actually necessary for the '816 (which drives the data lines with the bank address during Phi1).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm 

You will (especially with faster systems) get bus contention if you fail to qualify /OE. Found that out too. It never made any difference to how my badly configured machines ran (well, that I came across anyway), but it did make a difference on supply noise and current. Not a big difference on current, but more modern devices have pretty strong output circuits and it can't be good for them, or for controlling glitches on the power rials power rails, when you have a memory device trying to drive a data line low while the CPU is trying to drive it high.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:34 am 

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I thought that it might be an issue. Been a while since I designed anything 6502 related and it just didn't occur to me until too late. Meh. But given that my adapter board sits in the CPU socket on the main board and the 6502A is then plugged into my board, I can easily take a bodge wire from the PHI2O pin and route it to one of the free I/O pins on my CPLD. I'm a bit annoyed at not thinking of this.
Anyhoo. Onwards and sideways, as they say!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 am 

If it makes it any easier, you could route from the clock source instead. This is in fact the preferred way for the WDC65C02, in case you want to upgrade later, and in my testing works well for all versions up to their rated speed (and usually a bit beyond). This is not specified, so some here might disagree.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 am 

If it were a WDC 65C02S based system I'd definitely do this, but it looks like everything on the computer mainboard (not my adapter) is qualified with PHIO (pin 3) after being inverted. As such, I'll probably do the same and see how that goes. Just waiting for the PCBs to turn up now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:04 am 

Have you considered using the extra active hi chip select input on a 64-KB (or larger) SRAM chip to qualify both read and write operations?

I've used the following NOS (New Old Stock) chips from Chinese vendors on AliExpress on my hobby projects over the last few years with good results;

Code:
 UM61512AK-15   64K  skinny DIP-32  $0.42 ea. (qty 5)
 IS61C1024-15N 128K  skinny DIP-32  $0.60 ea. (qty 5)
 HM628128ALP-7 128K  wide DIP-32    $0.58 ea. (qty 5)

Attachment:
64K RAM.png
64K RAM.png [ 56.45 KiB | Viewed 1097 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 am 

The second select line is also present on 8Kx8 SRAMs, so in a truly minimal system it could be a reasonable way to save a gate. But EEPROMs seem to have that pin be a no-connect (thankfully not a don't-connect), and in most systems you'll need a ROM of *some* description. And it only takes three-quarters of a cheap 7400 to generate the signals *properly*.