6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bill Of Materials
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:30 am 

Hey guys,

On another topic, the question of budgeting for a SBC came up. I mentioned that I had recently built a simple 6502 board for under $100. Ed suggested posting the bill of materials for it here as a starting point for someone considering doing the same.

This is not the exact configuration I built, but very close. Reason being is that I used some parts from my junk box. However, I have added in replacements for those items and computed their cost. Part numbers and prices are from Jameco, though other vendors likely have all of this too.

You'll notice very little in the way of I/O. I do it all through the serial port which is hooked up to my computer using a 5V USB->serial adapter.

NOTE: After uploading I realized a few more things I left off - 74HC11, 74HC00, and 74HC138 (though I did include their sockets). Should only add a couple of extra bucks.

Thanks,
-JP

Attachments:
bom_sample.txt [1.03 KiB]
Downloaded 96 times
 Post subject: Re: Bill Of Materials
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:02 am 

Adding the schematic and picture as well. These are "as built", so there are differences between it and the BOM. I used a 2764, NMOS 6522 and 6551s, and 74LS logic since that's what I had in my junk box.

Attachments:
6502.png
6502.png [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 1017 times ]
6502_1.jpg
6502_1.jpg [ 106.83 KiB | Viewed 1017 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:03 am 

I should have used A8-A10 on the 74LS138 rather than A9-A11. It was a design error that I then dutifully wired into the circuit :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 am 

Coupla points regarding the schematic, Justin... minor stuff, really, but FWIW.... :)

• the reset circuit can be simplified. Just tie pins 2 & 3 of the 'hc14 together; the resistor/cap network is unnecessary.
  • as a general rule, no device should drive the data bus except when phase2 is high. To conform, your ROM needs to have inverted phase2 applied to the /OE pin.

The latter point is one that can be compromised, but it's not good practice. Ideally phase2-low should be a neutral time. IOW it should act as a buffer period that occurs after one device stops driving the bus and before the following device starts to do so. Providing a delay between those two events is important as a means of preventing bus contention.

cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Coupla points regarding the schematic, Justin... minor stuff, really, but FWIW.... :)

• the reset circuit can be simplified. Just tie pins 2 & 3 of the 'hc14 together; the resistor/cap network is unnecessary
  • as a general rule, no device should drive the data bus except when phase2 is high. To conform, your ROM needs to have inverted phase2 applied to the /OE pin.

The latter point is one that can be compromised, but it's not good practice. Ideally phase2-low should be a neutral time, precluding the possibility of bus contention. IOW it should act as a buffer period after one device stops driving the bus and before the following device starts to do so.

He apparently got these from the 6502 primer. The reset circuit times the pulse for the fact that some NMOS 6502's had an internal heating problem that spelled trouble if you hold the reset down for much over a tenth of a second.

Bringing phase 2 into the ROM's OE is not a bad idea, but I've never had any trouble when leaving it out. Unlike the '816, the 6502 does not drive the bus when phase 2 is low, so it's ok to leave phase 2 out of the ROM's enable circuit. It's the way I've usually done it. The data-bus outputs of RAM and I/O ICs will be disabled when phase 2 falls, and it will take a while for the addresses to change and the ROM to respond to its enable anyway, so it's not a problem. Going the other direction, the ROM will get disabled before phase 2 rises and something else puts data on the bus. Even if the processor is the one to put the data on the bus, it is not specified to do that until after phase 2 rises anyway, so there's no contention.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 am 

Quote:
It's the way I've usually done it.
Workable, but not the best practice. Consider two consecutive cycles, the first being a read of the VIA, say, and the second being a read of the ROM. The hand-off from the VIA driving the bus to the ROM driving the bus is poorly controlled -- the ROM will get enabled almost immediately after the VIA gets disabled. The "almost" arises from stuff like the address-hold time of the CPU and the prop delay of the decoder. I don't doubt your approach can be successful in some circumstances. But I'd rather see fully 50% of the cycle devoted to the hand-off.

Quote:
The reset circuit times the pulse for the fact that some NMOS 6502's had an internal heating problem that spelled trouble if you hold the reset down for much over a tenth of a second.
OK, you've got me there -- but was this issue ever verified? IIRC there was a discussion based on one person's unconfirmed report. Seems to me the whole thing might've been a misunderstanding. If there's concrete info I'd be glad to have a reference.

cheers
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:09 am 

Quote:
The "almost" arises from stuff like the address-hold time of the CPU and the prop delay of the decoder.

The address-hold time actually helps, because phase 2 falls and cuts the VIA's output before the address can change and enable the ROM. Phase 2 goes directly to the VIA, with no delays.

The NMOS RST heating problem was something I read about before the internet existed, in a spec sheet or ap note or magazine article (I don't remember which, but I might be able to dig it up again), and someone here observed it, but others proved that not all NMOS ones had the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Quote:
It's the way I've usually done it.
Workable, but not the best practice. Consider two consecutive cycles, the first being a read of the VIA, say, and the second being a read of the ROM. The hand-off from the VIA driving the bus to the ROM driving the bus is poorly controlled -- the ROM will get enabled almost immediately after the VIA gets disabled. The "almost" arises from stuff like the address-hold time of the CPU and the prop delay of the decoder. I don't doubt your approach can be successful in some circumstances. But I'd rather see fully 50% of the cycle devoted to the hand-off.

I'd have to agree with Jeff on this. Back when I used to fool around with attaching hardware to my C-128 I quickly learned the importance of gating any data bus accesses with Ø2. In one case, I built a TIA-232 interface that plugged into the cartridge port and couldn't get it to work. Troubleshooting eventually led me to qualify R/W on the interface with Ø2 and the problem was solved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 am 

Quote:
The address-hold time actually helps
Yes, that's exactly what I was implying. To have the hand-off occur almost immediately is better than having it occur immediately.

I'll see if I can hunt up that discussion about chip heating! :?: :?: :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:31 am 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1927

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:10 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I'd have to agree with Jeff on this. Back when I used to fool around with attaching hardware to my C-128 I quickly learned the importance of gating any data bus accesses with Ø2. In one case, I built a TIA-232 interface that plugged into the cartridge port and couldn't get it to work. Troubleshooting eventually led me to qualify R/W on the interface with Ø2 and the problem was solved.

That sounds related to the phase-2 problem on the C64 which I described on the page with my C64 expander board that used a 6522. The '22 requires the RS, CS, and R/W\ lines to be valid and stable before phase 2 rises, which the C64 did not provide, so I had to make a rising-edge delay for phase 2 to the '22.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:28 am 

Justin, the FT232 is the SparkFun Breakout board? And (squinting at the picture) it has that 5V solder jumper? After going through all the options with MAX232/233 and what not, I'm considering just cheating with one of those. Any problems with it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:44 am 

http://shop.myavr.com/Programmer%20and% ... tID=200024

It has RXD / TXD, CTS / RTS & 5V.
It works on my C64 250425, my breadboard 6502 and of course AVR.
And the price is nice :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:50 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:

That sounds related to the phase-2 problem on the C64 which I described on the page with my C64 expander board that used a 6522. The '22 requires the RS, CS, and R/W\ lines to be valid and stable before phase 2 rises, which the C64 did not provide, so I had to make a rising-edge delay for phase 2 to the '22.

The 6526 CIA that replaced the 6522 in the C-64 and C-128 didn't require that R/W be valid prior to the rise of Ø2. I know that because one of my plug-in gadgets had a 6526 on it, in which I qualified R/W with Ø2. The TIA-232 interface that I had built before, which is where the R/W issue first appeared, had an MC6850 on it and I naively assumed that qualifying R/W with Ø2 was de rigueur in all situations. Fortunately, it worked out in the case of the 6526.

BTW, it looks as though you built that C-64 interface on one of those handy Jameco expansion port perf boards. Used more than a few of those over the years. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am 

scotws wrote:
Justin, the FT232 is the SparkFun Breakout board? And (squinting at the picture) it has that 5V solder jumper? After going through all the options with MAX232/233 and what not, I'm considering just cheating with one of those. Any problems with it?

Good eye. Yes, it is the FT232RL board. I mounted it on the SBC for mechanical security. I added wire wrap pins and connected txd, rxd, and gnd. I wasn't sure the polarity of the rts,cts, etc. was compatible with the 6551, but in re-reading the datasheets it should be assuming Sparkfun didn't change the defaults.

Only problem I've noticed is that if I power off the sbc for an extended period of time I have to unplug and replug the usb cable. Could be related to the sleep mode pins.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
He apparently got these from the 6502 primer. The reset circuit times the pulse for the fact that some NMOS 6502's had an internal heating problem that spelled trouble if you hold the reset down for much over a tenth of a second.

indeed. Originally I was going to use an NMOS but later changed my mind. The primer is extremely useful - thanks for doing it!