6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Power Supply Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:35 pm 

Makeing a computer from actual scratch is fun, but i need something to power it and i dont feel like buying one for like alot of cash, i im thinking of makeing one but i need to know a coupple things.
Such as how many volts, watts and amps should i use to run a 65c02? is it like cmos and only need 3.3 volts, or is it ttlish and needs 5v?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:55 pm 

the 65C02 is TTL type and runs at 5 volts. If your circuit is small, you can bu7y a wall wart to give you the 5 volts. I like using videogame power suppluies, but they get monstrous at 15 amps of 5 volts, but they also have -5 and +12 volts.

if you get into a build it yourself mood, you can go to a transformer, rectifier and 7805 votlage regulator. For the amount of working,m buying a power uspply will be cheaper, frankly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:47 pm 

True buying one is cheaper, but i could also make it varible also it gives me better practice with my circuits, ive only make electronic stuff using simulations, never the realthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:21 pm 

WDC's 65-family parts are intended for 5V. They are guaranteed to run down to 1.2V; but the lower the voltage, the more you have to slow the clock speed down in order to get them to run. (The same goes for any other company's ICs too.) I expect that even at 3V, WDC's are still considerably faster than what a lot of guys on this forum are using. I made a 5V CMOS 6502 computer in the late 80's that took about 5mA for the entire computer, including the LCD. The 9V battery had to be shared with other circuitry and run for 20-30 hours. Using an LP2950 5V 3-pin low-dropout linear regulator in a TO-92 package (looking like a small-signal transistor), an alkaline 9V battery will supply 5mA for nearly 100 hours. But if you add even a single LED, you'll at least double your current.

If you want to eliminate the battery and get away with the smallest and easiest solution, Tony's suggestion of the wall-mount power cube might be best. Jameco has a bunch of them. I'd still be tempted to go for a higher voltage and then put a 7805-type regulator right on the board.