6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: POC Version 2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:51 pm 

I'll be watching your project with interest, BDD. But I must say this toaster-oven business has a worrisome association with food. Let's hope the topic doesn't somehow segue back to broccoli! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:07 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
I'll be watching your project with interest, BDD. But I must say this toaster-oven business has a worrisome association with food. Let's hope the topic doesn't somehow segue back to broccoli! ;)

I promise no broccoli will be harmed in the making of POC V2. :lol: Can't vouch for the asparagus though. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:00 pm 

How is she coming along BDD? It looks like you were ready to go to manufacturing? Or is the reflow research and experimentation still a blocker?

Looking forward to seeing the how project turns out, as I'm sure others are too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:08 am 

Aslak3 wrote:
How is she coming along BDD? It looks like you were ready to go to manufacturing? Or is the reflow research and experimentation still a blocker?

Looking forward to seeing the how project turns out, as I'm sure others are too.

I'm temporarily unable to do close-up work, such as soldering small parts to a PCB. Waiting for my left eye to get better from surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:55 am 

I wish you a quick recovery !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:35 pm 

calculi wrote:
I wish you a quick recovery !

Thanks! It's taking its time about getting back to a usable condition. Everything through the left eye look like a blob. :D

Post subject: POC Version 2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:53 pm 

I'm not quite ready to assembly POC V2. However, as I have the PCBs I figured I'd post a couple of pictures of them. I need to complete my reflow soldering project before assembling this mess.

Incidentally, there is a trivial error on the solder side, but one that will be easily fixed with an X-Acto knife. :oops:

Attachment:
File comment: POC V2 PCB Component Side
pocv2pcb_top.gif
pocv2pcb_top.gif [ 5.82 MiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: POC V2 PCB Solder Side
pocv2pcb_bot.gif
pocv2pcb_bot.gif [ 5.62 MiB | Viewed 1128 times ]

Post subject: Re: POC VERSION TWO
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm 

She's beautiful BDD. :) Really looking forward to hearing about the build and bring up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:12 pm 

Aslak3 wrote:
She's beautiful BDD. :) Really looking forward to hearing about the build and bring up!

Thanks! It has taken quite a while to get to this point, but I'm patient and can contain my excitement. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:21 am 

This is a bump to keep this topic from slipping into the abyss.

Things are at a standstill pending yet another surgery on my left eye, which at close range is functionally blind right now. Oddly enough, I can see distant objects with some clarity, which means I can still drive an automobile. I just can't do much in the way of close-up work.

I was able to assemble a prototype module that will be part of our line of railway riding scale automatic block signal system (ABS) modules, but it's all through-hole parts, many with large spacing between the pins. It was a struggle to solder in a DIP-8 package and I did get one accidental bridge between two pins. I also managed to install two transistors (TO-92) backwards. :oops: After tracking down and fixing this stuff the module worked. However, I was pushing it trying to do this assembly work, and this experience definitely tells me I'm not ready to tackle POC V2 with its much tighter parts spacing. :(

Attachment:
File comment: ABS Module Undergoing Test
dbod_proto01.jpg
dbod_proto01.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 1032 times ]

Incidentally, the PCB for this unit was made by a USA company called EPEC. I generated the PCB layout in EPCB, used Copper Connections to convert the EPCB file to Gerber and shipped the Gerbers in a ZIP file to EPEC. The cost for 15 boards was about 25 percent less than if I had used EPCB's production service for the same quantity. In addition, EPEC does some QC checks on the boards (including a hi-pot test) that EPCB doesn't do, and includes a QC report with the shipment. The bare boards are UL recognized, which can be useful in Canada, the USA and some other countries that recognize the UR mark. I was quite pleased with the product, which was as good as EPCB's in all respects.

We have a pretty substantial order pending for ABS modules of several types, which is was prodded me into finding an alternate to EPCB for board production purposes. I've never had a complaint with EPCB's product, but also have been underwhelmed with their production pricing, which is more like prototype pricing from other board houses. After reviewing a number of houses, I decided to place a small order with EPEC to see what we would get for the money. Their stuff is good, so they will be getting the entire order for all PCBs in the set of modules we have to build.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:48 pm 

As always, best of luck on the surgery -- I hope it'll be night and day (literally) when you recover from it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:55 am 

whartung wrote:
As always, best of luck on the surgery -- I hope it'll be night and day (literally) when you recover from it.

Unfortunately, the surgery isn't going to happen. Two different ophthalmologists are saying essentially the same thing: there are no more surgical options. Both decline to operate, saying that further surgery on my left eye is too risky, with a poor chance of improving my sight.

My left eye is unable to focus for any distance, and if I close my right eye and try to see only with the left, it's a blurry world full of distortions—straight lines are wavy, circles appear to be ellipses and I can't even make out people's faces well enough to identify them by sight alone, unless I'm standing a few feet from them. Reading has become a trial of patience, requiring that I cover the left eye.

Currently, all of my electronics bench work is on hold, as I can't see well enough to work with small objects in close quarters. I have no idea at this time if I'll ever be able to resume electronic assembly and, among other things, get POC V2 assembled and tested. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:47 pm 

Sorry to hear that BDD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:16 am 

To BDD,

Did you find someone to assemble your board for you? It seems like a "minor" part of the project, it's physical construction, shouldn't prevent you getting the board going! I'm sure many folks around here would be only too willing to put the board together for you.

Partly this is selfish on my part: I really want to see how your ideas pan out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:35 pm 

Aslak3 wrote:
Did you find someone to assemble your board for you?

Not yet. I was hoping the oldest grandson might do it, but he's away at college and up to his neck in engineering coursework.

Quote:
Partly this is selfish on my part: I really want to see how your ideas pan out. :)

That's two of us! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 37  Next