6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bamboo Tweezers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm 

I found that seeedstudio.com (that is three e's) sells bamboo tweezers and that may help with static sensitive chips.

They are in China and they only use paypal.

Post subject: Re: Bamboo Tweezers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:24 pm 

ChuckT wrote:
I found that seeedstudio.com (that is three e's) sells bamboo tweezers and that may help with static sensitive chips.

What do the pandas have to say about their favorite snack being used to do electronic assembly? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm 

In interesting but only tangentially related news, scientists have discovered that the Panda cannot actually digest Bamboo - it relies on its gut flora to digest it!

In fact, as it turns out, the panda would be much better off on a more conventional diet!

Post subject: Re: Bamboo Tweezers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:26 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
ChuckT wrote:

What do the pandas have to say about their favorite snack being used to do electronic assembly? :)

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. If it is any consolation, I haven't bought any tweezers yet and I'll think about it. I'll give it some thought but there are some restrictions in China and I don't know if the bamboo came from another geographic area in China where the Panda aren't.

Quote:
The giant panda is confined to south-central China. Currently, it occurs in portions of six isolated mountain ranges (Minshan, Qinling, Qionglai, Liangshan, Daxiangling, and Xiaoxiangling) in Gansu, Shaanxi and Sichuan Provinces (about 75% of the population inhabits Sichuan Province).

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/712/0

Quote:
A further threat to pandas relates to their reliance on bamboo for food. Bamboo is subject to periodic, synchronous (and hence large-scale) flowering and die-off (at intervals of 15–120 years). Before significant human encroachment of their habitat, pandas could move to areas with healthy bamboo when a die-off occurred. Studies following the latest major bamboo die-off in the early 1980s indicated that pandas were still able to survive by finding patches that had not flowered, and also by moving to alternate habitats and feeding on less-favoured species of bamboo (Johnson et al. 1988, Reid et al. 1989).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:42 am 

OwenS wrote:
In fact, as it turns out, the panda would be much better off on a more conventional diet!

As would we if we laid off the pizza and beer, not to mention Oreo cookies. :)