6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:08 pm 

DaveK wrote:
What about desoldering wick?
(Ah, that's been mentioned. Bugger.)

Someone on another board said to use a hot air work or re-work station which can be fairly expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Has anyone any tips on desoldering through-hole parts with high pin count? It seems near-impossible to get all the joints free with a solder sucker.

Quote:
You can purchase lo-melt solder that you apply over the pins of the IC, then keep it heated to around 150 degC for about 10 minutes. The low temperature solder alloys with and dissolves the normal solder, and you can lift it up with tweezers. Then vacuum up the residue. Can save the board, the chip or both. I think the Chip Quik that Leon mentioned is pretty much the same idea. The alloy is expensive, but a little goes a long way. For many things the solder braid or heat gun is better or faster.

http://www.zeph.com/lowmelt.htm

I asked over at:
http://forums.parallax.com/forums/defau ... 5&m=429702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:22 pm 

Very interesting. Can this technique be used for TQFP packages? I read somewhere the paste would be applied to the board and the IC put on top, then the whole board and IC "baked". TQFP tolerance are so tight though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 am 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Very interesting. Can this technique be used for TQFP packages? I read somewhere the paste would be applied to the board and the IC put on top, then the whole board and IC "baked". TQFP tolerance are so tight though...

I don't know because I haven't used either product and I don't do much soldering/desoldering yet.

Leon did say that he uses Chip Quik for surface mount soldering. He uses desolder braid for through hole. Another user commented that if you use the low melt solder it is going to spew solder all over the place so you need a protective shield to stand behind and you can use the last resort method of whacking the PCB on something to get the solder off. The user said you will have to inspect the board because you will get solder all over the place.

So remember it is probably good to have gloves, safety goggles, a protective shield, a bucket of water and protective clothing. Remember: safety first. Someone else told me to use a mask for the lead fumes or work outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:24 am 

At a booth at a trade show, a man demonstrated the Chip Quick for me. We both stood there without our space suits, and never saw anything fly or explode. The operation looked quite safe. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
At a booth at a trade show, a man demonstrated the Chip Quick for me. We both stood there without our space suits, and never saw anything fly or explode. The operation looked quite safe. :)

I think the danger they were referring to is using low melt solder for ten minutes at 150 degrees. McDonald cooks hash browns at probably 175F and they always go down with a sizzle.

If I'm wrong about it, all I can say is 'sorry'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 am 

Hmmm... must be 175°C, as 175°F is 37° short of boiling (at sea level).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 pm 

Some of them are doing things to lower the melting point of the lead free stuff like using kester 44 and they are using the whack and bang method with a five gallon bucket. They say using a face shield is a must and the 150 degrees in the video shows the solder melting. I can't predict which people in the forum may have kids who resort to using torches to melt the solder because they don't always use the right methods or equipment. I know the solder melts because I see it in the video and they are using the whack and bang method which makes it "splatter".

Leon said he sometimes puts a copper wire in the hole and heats that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:17 am 

ChuckT wrote:
McDonald cooks hash browns at probably 175F and they always go down with a sizzle.

Actually, it's 350F (~177C). The hash browns go down with a sizzle and come up full of cholesterol and carcinogens. :) I heard a rumor that McDonald's uses Penzoil in their deep-fryer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:56 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
ChuckT wrote:
McDonald cooks hash browns at probably 175F and they always go down with a sizzle.

Actually, it's 350F (~177C). The hash browns go down with a sizzle and come up full of cholesterol and carcinogens. :) I heard a rumor that McDonald's uses Penzoil in their deep-fryer.

They recycle the oil. Some days they cover the vats at night and other days they don't. I've seen the workers hook up a pump and a filter to get the crumbs out of the oil so if your nuggets don't look almost clear yellow then the oil isn't fresh. If your nuggets are brown then the oil has been in there too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:22 pm 

ChuckT wrote:
They recycle the oil...If your nuggets are brown then the oil has been in there too long.

My forays into McDonald's, or other fast-food joints, are very limited. I can think of plenty of ways to die without adding clogged arteries and a rhino-sized waistline to the count.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm 

Yes, but is your method anywhere near as satisfying? Or fun?

If you're going to go, might as well go happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:25 am 

Just FYI if you guys watch "Supersize Me" where the guy only eats Mickey D's for 30 days straight, 3 meals a day, you'll find out as they did that that food will more likely destroy your liver before it clogs your arteries... I highly recommend that movie/documentary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 am 

I was being facetious of course. ;) I eat fast food only once a month, under social conditions. Otherwise, I generally purchase food made from actual ingredients (versus reconstituted grade-B meats) or make my own food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 am 

kc5tja wrote:
Yes, but is your method anywhere near as satisfying? Or fun?

If you're going to go, might as well go happy.

It's satisfying for Pac-Man, I'd guess, but not as tasty. In any case, like a puppy choosing who to go home with, my "method" picked me.