6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 am 

Just a heads up, I'm new to hardware and only a little experienced in 6502 (Thanks to the NES) So if I ask something dumb/obvious, don't be surprised.

Anyways, I want to build a lock that uses a touch LCD screen (Preferably a cheap one) but if I can't do that with my chip then I've got three buttons I can use instead. I only have one EPROM chip that I can use right now, I have no stores I know of that sell EPROMs and EEPROMs, (Not even Fry's sells them, which surprised me) and I dunno if this chip can even use 6502 assembled data. It's specs on the front say...

M27C256B (32K of space, right?)
-10F 1 (My only guess of what this is is it's temperature resistance)
B880S (No clue)
0034K (Not sure about this, because 32!=34)
SINGAPORE (Uh...)

... And the manufacturer is ST. Now, all my parts except that EPROM (It came with my burner) was from RadioShack. My burner is called Willem I believe and was about $25-$30 and I heard it was pretty good.

I'm supplying all this info because I want to know if I have everything I need and if not, what I still need. I must also ask if there's any way to actually give the lock... The ability to lock... Like... Some kind of way to push the metal block and then bring it in if the correct combination is in. Sorry, I'm bad at communications.

If there are any simple guides on doing a similar thing to this, please tell/link me, they might help me a bit.

I hope I explained this well enough... Any missing info you may need just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:30 am 

You have a run-of-the-mill, 100ns 32Kx8 EPROM. It will work fine for what you want. One of the other numbers is a date code. The other might be something like a lot number. You will need some RAM too.

You'll need some kind of I/O IC to interface the buttons and probably drive a transistor to turn the current on and off to a solenoid for the lock.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 am 

Glitchy Furrystuff wrote:
and I dunno if this chip can even use 6502 assembled data.

Just to clarify, a ROM chip is just a storage device -- it can hold graphics, sound, text files, etc. as well as any program you want to put in it. For example, the KERNAL ROMs used in the Commodore 128 home computer held both Z80 and 6502 program code together.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:43 am 

Glitchy Furrystuff wrote:
Just a heads up, I'm new to hardware and only a little experienced in 6502 (Thanks to the NES) So if I ask something dumb/obvious, don't be surprised.

Well, we all had to start somewhere. For me, it was when Eisenhower was president. :) If you are going to scratch-build something digital, the 65xx is as good a place to start as any.

Quote:
M27C256B (32K of space, right?)
-10F 1 (My only guess of what this is is it's temperature resistance)
B880S (No clue)
0034K (Not sure about this, because 32!=34)
SINGAPORE (Uh...)

... And the manufacturer is ST.

My POC unit has the same EPROM, but a -70F. BTW, the F indicates that the EPROM is UV-erasable. The 256 spec means 256 kilobits of storage. The EPROM is organized as 32Kbits x 8, meaning it has an eight bit data bus. This particular part is programmed at 12.75 volts. You can go on-line to ST's website and get the data sheet.

Quote:
Now, all my parts except that EPROM (It came with my burner) was from RadioShack. My burner is called Willem I believe and was about $25-$30 and I heard it was pretty good.

I don't know anything about the Radio Shack EPROM burner, so I can't comment on that specific model. However, you never get more than what you pay for, so caveat emptor.