6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:00 pm 

Thanks, I will go through the entire thread and replace any that might be missing using the archive.

BigEd wrote:
Thanks for recovering the images!

Oneironaut wrote:
Deleted this - image files lost.

Not quite lost - the Wayback Machine has them here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:02 pm 

Excellent! (I have sometimes done similarly, to repair old posts of mine where the links or images have rotted.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:02 pm 

Amazing! Glad you're doing OK, and thanks for fixing the photos!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:36 pm 

BTW, if you guys haven’t already done so, be sure to visit Brad’s “Atomic Zombie” website to see some of the cool-looking, home-built bicycles he and his wife have designed.  I was especially intrigued by the “Skycycle,” which puts the rider at telephone-pole height, and got Brad listed in the Guinness Book of Records.  :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:27 am 

Hey, thanks for the plug!
Funny, I was just looking at a design I did for a 30 foot tall bike a few years back to outdo my old record.
It would be based on this over engineered one I made 15 years ago that allows climbing while in motion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUwJgl15sqU

Being 10 years older than the first 6502 now though.... maybe I will stick to saner adventures!

I recently renamed AtomicZombie to https://chopzone.com/ as I can't afford to fight the trademark every year now.

Ps...
Your works have always brought me back here during the last few years when I was too busy to work on my own projects.

Cheers,
Brad

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
BTW, if you guys haven’t already done so, be sure to visit Brad’s “Atomic Zombie” website to see some of the cool-looking, home-built bicycles he and his wife have designed.  I was especially intrigued by the “Skycycle,” which puts the rider at telephone-pole height, and got Brad listed in the Guinness Book of Records.  :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:09 am 

Oneironaut wrote:
Funny, I was just looking at a design I did for a 30 foot tall bike a few years back to outdo my old record.

No way I’d be getting on a 30-foot-tall bike!  The likelihood of surviving a fall from that distance onto pavement is poor, at best, even though wearing a helmet.  Also, you’d have to be extra-vigilant about not accidentally running into power lines while riding.  :shock:  On the other hand, the view of oncoming traffic would be fantastic.  Just gotta watch out for traffic signals, street lights and bridges.  :D

BTW, how much did the “Skycycle” weigh?

In the ones you have on your site for construction by DIYers, what is the wall thickness of the tubing you are specifying in your plans?  I’d think anything much over 16 gauge (~.063", 1.5mm) would make for a heavy frame.  On the other hand, anything thinner would be a challenge for most amateur weldors working with a buzzbox—even 16 ga might be difficult with a basic AC machine and E6013 electrodes.

Quote:
It would be based on this over engineered one I made 15 years ago that allows climbing while in motion...

Looks dangerous as hell, but with 100 percent on the coolness meter.  :D

Quote:
Your works have always brought me back here during the last few years when I was too busy to work on my own projects.

Thanks for that.  I’d like to think someone is getting something useful out of my posts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:06 am 

I too would not be happy thirty feet from the ground... three thousand feet, no problem, thirty feet, um, maybe not :mrgreen:

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:15 pm 

Piloting one of these ultra tall bikes feels like flying since you can't see anything but the world ahead of you.
Here is my original SkyCycle, not nearly my tallest, but the one that went viral.

Attachment:
about7.jpg
about7.jpg [ 151.24 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

It was cool to get my mug in the book too...

Attachment:
about8.jpg
about8.jpg [ 255.97 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

barnacle wrote:
I too would not be happy thirty feet from the ground... three thousand feet, no problem, thirty feet, um, maybe not :mrgreen:

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:24 pm 

barnacle wrote:

Presumably, at 3000 feet, you’d have time to consider your options if things go off the rails.  At 30 feet, you might not have enough time to say “Oh sh*t!” when the front wheel gets stuck in a sewer cover and you get catapulted off the bike (had that happen when I was a kid—it made a “lasting impression” on me when I face-planted on the pavement).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:30 pm 

Oneironaut wrote:
Piloting one of these ultra tall bikes feels like flying since you can't see anything but the world ahead of you.

Of course, you can’t stop riding unless there’s something nearby against which you can lean.  Plus, you might have trouble with low-flying birds flapping around you trying to figure out if you’re one of them.  :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:03 am 

Thanks, it's nice to finally have a chance to drop in and think about continuing this thread and the project.
That quote... makes me smile when I see it. I think that was over at AVR freaks when I made that comment. Probably up to late with too much java as usual.

Paganini wrote:
Amazing! Glad you're doing OK, and thanks for fixing the photos!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50