6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Ground
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:22 pm 

Arlet wrote:
I see PCtrain also has minimum drill of 0.2 mm. Your vias seem quite big, so you may want to consider making them a bit smaller if you need some more room.

The drill diameter is listed as 0.02362205 (the outer layer diameter is 0.03962205 and the inner is 0.02362205). I assume that these are in inches, so we have 1mm outer, 0.6mm inner.
What values are recommended? I assume that I don't go as small as the minimum that PCBtrain will do, so would 0.9mm outer and 0.5mm inner do the job or should I go smaller? Those are the smallest settings listed by Eagle, although I can enter them manually and go smaller if I need to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:42 pm 

Arlet wrote:
By the way, in your image showing the clearances, I noticed that the crystal is grounded on one side. I don't think it's supposed to do that.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd neglected to put in the 33pF capacitor between the crystal and ground :oops:.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:51 pm 

I always use .015" holes with .035" pads for vias on .062"-thick board, and .008" holes with .028" pads for vias on .031"-thick boards, although as technology has improved, I could probably reduce that now. These are finished hole sizes. They start out by drilling them about .003" bigger, and the diameter decreases as the inside gets plated. Part of the reason for the size of the pad is just to prevent breakouts if the drill indexing is not perfect. Again though, they're getting better and better at it. If there is a breakout, you definitely don't want it on a side that a trace comes into the pad. Teardropping will help prevent that. I only use the .031" thickness for really small boards (like not much over postage-stamp size).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:18 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
I always use .015" holes with .035" pads for vias on .062"-thick board, and .008" holes with .028" pads for vias on .031"-thick boards, although as technology has improved, I could probably reduce that now. These are finished hole sizes. They start out by drilling them about .003" bigger, and the diameter decreases as the inside gets plated. Part of the reason for the size of the pad is just to prevent breakouts if the drill indexing is not perfect. Again though, they're getting better and better at it. If there is a breakout, you definitely don't want it on a side that a trace comes into the pad. Teardropping will help prevent that. I only use the .031" thickness for really small boards (like not much over postage-stamp size).

I made liberal use of 0.026" diameter via with 0.008" holes in my POC board (0.062" thick), as well as on the host adapter board. I have not seen anything that would make me reconsider that decision.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:04 pm 

banedon wrote:
What values are recommended? I assume that I don't go as small as the minimum that PCBtrain will do, so would 0.9mm outer and 0.5mm inner do the job or should I go smaller? Those are the smallest settings listed by Eagle, although I can enter them manually and go smaller if I need to.

It depends on what you need. Going all the way to the limit may be a bit risky if PCBtrain doesn't verify your data. For instance, in Eagle, the DRC is based on finished hole size, but if PCBtrain specifies the annular ring based on drill size (which is slightly bigger), and don't check your data, then you may get bad results.

So, to stay on the safe side, you could add 0.1 mm to PCBtrain numbers (or more, if you don't actually need vias that small)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 pm 

Quote:
The drill diameter is listed as 0.02362205 (the outer layer diameter is 0.03962205 and the inner is 0.02362205).

If you change Eagle to a metric grid, it will report all measurements in mm.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:07 am 

Here's my latest attempt at routing my board. There have been a few changes to the circuit itself: Instead of using a triple AND gate to deal with the IRQs and a series of NAND gates for the memory address decoding, I've incorporated all of these into a single GAL (the cost is in power as GALs can chew up 30-50mA at a time).
I've also gotten rid of the address bus, data bus and signals pin headers as routing to them was making my traces a little too long for my tastes.
The VIA now has 2 sets of pin header holes for port A and port B. This gives me the ability to put pin headers on one set and pin header sockets on the other. I was wondering it it's worth putting buffers in as well (between the VIA and the pin headers) ... or series resistors. Yes? No? Advice welcome :).

With regard to the routing design: I hope this looks ok. To my own eye it certainly looks better than the version that the auto-router spat out!

Attachment:
newlayout2.gif
newlayout2.gif [ 281.88 KiB | Viewed 420 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:19 am 

banedon wrote:
I was wondering it it's worth putting buffers in as well (between the VIA and the pin headers) ... or series resistors. Yes? No? Advice welcome :).

No. For some things, resistors would cause problems. (Been there, done that.) As for buffers, they won't allow individual bits' data direction control like the VIAs' DDRA and DDRB do. You'll definitely need that for many things, in my experience. According to my tests, the 65c22 has very strong outputs anyway, many times as strong as the data sheet lets on. Additionally, WDC's '22 has bus-holding devices for input pins, so if they're not connected to anything, they will hold themselves at the last valid logic state detected, or if never connected, they'll pick one. A buffer you might add won't have that luxury.

Quote:
With regard to the routing design: I hope this looks ok.

Note that the row spacing of dual-row pin headers is .100", not .200". (That will save you some board space too.)
Power and ground still need to be connected to the ICs, unless they're connected in layers the picture doesn't show.
Since the ACIA's I/O is already going through the line drivers and receivers, you might want to just put a DB-9 right on the board, instead of the pin header.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:25 am 

banedon wrote:
... With regard to the routing design: I hope this looks ok. To my own eye it certainly looks better than the version that the auto-router spat out!

I agree wholeheartedly!

Mike B.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:05 am 

banedon wrote:
I was wondering it it's worth putting buffers in as well (between the VIA and the pin headers) ... or series resistors. Yes? No? Advice welcome :).

I second Garth's opinion. The VIA's outputs are pretty robust and while they might not be able to drive a large relay coil, they can certainly deliver enough current to handle a lot of other loads. Adding resistors will merely get in the way, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:51 pm 

Ok cheers; I'll leave VIA outputs as-is.

I've now managed to wedge the address and data bus pin headers in by moving them and I've added more pin outs to the VIA outputs (in case they are needed and because I've got the space there :)). I've also moved the oscillator closer to the clock driver (IC3, D type flipflop).
With regard to power: The 2nd layer is GND and the 3rd is +5V so that's taken care of.

Attachment:
newlayout2a.gif
newlayout2a.gif [ 389.61 KiB | Viewed 396 times ]

I think I'm almost ready to have the board made.

One thing which puzzles me is this:

Attachment:
drc.gif
drc.gif [ 91.87 KiB | Viewed 396 times ]

This obviously shows the layers and their thicknesses. Should these be equidistant from each other? I.e. As the PCB that I'm going to be ordering is 1.6mm FR4, should it be 1.6 divided by 3 = 0.53mm isolation? And the copper thickness left at 0.35mm?

Also, I've put 1*2*15*16 for the layers. (layers 1,2,15,16). Is this correct? I think it is, but am not sure (I don't have any buried VIAs by the way).

Sorry to keep asking what might be somewhat basic questions: It's quite a chunk of money for me to have this made so I'm being super-cautious :).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm 

If you don't specify the separation between layers, board houses will typically get them closer to uniform, but not exact.  If it's a concern, contact them.  [Edit, years later:  I must have gotten that idea from our boards with scads of layers.  I contacted DirtyPCBs to ask about 4-, 6-, and 8-layer standard spacing, and got a different answer, shown at viewtopic.php?p=96682#p96682 .  You can see that as layer count increases, the spacing becomes more consistent.]

About your address and data pins:  You don't have a single ground pin anywhere close.  Not good.  Put a few in there, more or less evenly distributed, so the return current from any given signal line will run nearby.  IOW, don't crowd the power and ground connections at the ends, let alone just one end.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:08 pm 

Quote:
Should these be equidistant from each other? I.e. As the PCB that I'm going to be ordering is 1.6mm FR4, should it be 1.6 divided by 3 = 0.53mm isolation? And the copper thickness left at 0.35mm?

I don't think the settings in Eagle are actually exported. You need to specify those separately. I wouldn't worry about that, though. If you don't say anything, the board house will use their default settings, which is good enough. Having custom settings can dramatically increase the price.

The layers don't have to be equidistant, but they do have to be symmetrical to avoid warping. Again, the board house should do that by default.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:10 pm 

Your R8/C20 are a bit far away from the crystal pin. I would try to get them closer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:02 pm 

Thanks - I wasn't sure if the gerber files had this info or not. Good to know they don't.

As recommended, I've moved R8 & C20 much closer (see below) to the crystal.
Attachment:
newlayout2b.gif
newlayout2b.gif [ 93.34 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Also, would it be best then to move the power to the south-central part of the PCB? I.e. :
Attachment:
newlayout2c.gif
newlayout2c.gif [ 131.99 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

Garth; you mentioned that I needed grounding pins for the bus headers for the ground return paths? I'm a bit confused. All the header pins do is allow my bus monitor to connect to the buses. The monitor will draw power from one of the sets of Aux Power Out pins on the board (currently in the south central area).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next