6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: REFLOW FOR DUMMIES
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:53 pm 

Aslak3 wrote:
... I also used a loupe, the headband type, which worked quite well ...

I just got one of those for an automotive engine computer repair (one of the motor mount solenoids and the idle air control solenoid shorted and "charcoalized" two 10-pin MOSFET drivers). I was so glad that I got the magnifier, because my eyes simply can't focus up close like they once could. Luckily, my hands are still very steady, and I made short work of the swap (after figuring out the proper temperature for the iron, which took a bit longer than it should have taken, because I was chicken!)

That little repair job excited me, and I want to do more. Hardware work is totally different than software work, but brings some great feelings for me ... especially since I haven't done enough yet to experience the inevitable agony of defeat.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:56 pm 

I use a pair of cheap +3.50 diopter reading glasses. If that's not good enough, I take out my -3.00 contact lenses as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:02 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
I was so glad that I got the magnifier, because my eyes simply can't focus up close like they once could.

Not to worry. It'll get worse, that I can assure you. :? :cry: :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 am 

Does anyone use T-962 IR reflow ovens? They are available quite cheaply (£150) now and from what I read are pretty good. By the time you have bought a reasonable quality convection oven and added a controller they are not particularly expensive, and the heating is supposed to be a bit more even than with a convection oven, and they have a cooling fan built in. There are a few videos and reviews of them floating around.

There is an improved, open source firmware available (https://github.com/UnifiedEngineering/T ... provements) that corrects a couple of the minor issues with these ovens (poor temperature sensor position, noisy fan).

Anyone here use them?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:04 am 

This project had to go on the back burner because in late December 2015 I had to undergo emergency surgery on the left eye. The surgery did correct one problem but complications developed, leaving me with very poor vision and an inability to work with small parts. I do hope to eventually get this reflow project back on track, but when that will happen is an unknown at this time.