6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
A quick look at the 74HC data book says you could change IC6A from a 139 to a 138 (and just not use all the outputs) and eliminate IC7A and IC8A and their delays. The HC138 has two enable-not inputs and one enable input, and is approximately the same speed as the HC139.

Make sure you change the 573's LE\ input to an inversion of phase 2, not R/W\, and leave it enabled full-time unless you want to do DMA.

Thanks for the comments Garth!

Well not sure if I want to do DMA yet. heres an updated dwg.

With Inverted Clock on 573. I bet its wrong still... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 am 

digidice wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
A quick look at the 74HC data book says you could change IC6A from a 139 to a 138 (and just not use all the outputs) and eliminate IC7A and IC8A and their delays. The HC138 has two enable-not inputs and one enable input, and is approximately the same speed as the HC139.

Make sure you change the 573's LE\ input to an inversion of phase 2, not R/W\, and leave it enabled full-time unless you want to do DMA.

Thanks for the comments Garth!

An even better choice than the HC138 is the AC138 or the F138. These two have lower prop time than the HC138.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:22 am 

digidice wrote:
Well not sure if I want to do DMA yet. heres an updated dwg.

With Inverted Clock on 573. I bet its wrong still... :(

I was going to look it over but it is in color. As I am blue-green color blind, parts of the drawing are almost invisible to me. Can you please repost it in monochrome? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 am 

On the '138, you'll need to ground G2A\ & G2B\ and connect G1 to either VPA or VDA and input C to the other (VDA or VPA).

Remove the R/W\ signal from the '573 output enable and just ground that pin 1.

Quote:
An even better choice than the HC138 is the AC138 or the F138. These two have lower prop time than the HC138.

True, but I just grabbed the HC book to get a relative speed comparison between the '138 and '139.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:40 am 

Okay Updated with monocrome ,
Thanks again Garth, I was a bit confused as to which wire went where, but I suppose it does not matter. I guess I spend a lot of time thinking of the logic in my head and end up over complicating things, hence a zillion logic gates sprinkled all over the place.

Updated DWG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 am 

Better change the ground symbols to say Vss (common source voltage) instead of Vdd (common drain voltage).  Vdd is a supply voltage, the FET equivalent of Vcc (common collector voltage) on bipolar transistors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:47 am 

okay now for some eeprom magic, the 816 pulls a reset vector from 00FFFC and 00FFFD which is in the first 64K block, now if I put a 64K eeprom in 0 to 65535 (FFFF) then whats the memory going to do because I have 4 4Meg static ram chips. use an inverted VDP on the 138?
Something like this? SCM

would I want to put a small eprom with the reset vector address that points outside of the first 64K where the full eprom would contain the software?

I still havent figured how to get around not having a 4068 for a line for lower memory locations.
for instance. CE=A13,A14,A15 & !A16-23 which would give me a CE line for an eprom for all memory locations above 32K IE reset vector.

Many Thanks again.

Kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:14 am 

Enough embarrassment for one day.  I realized my post at the bottom of page 2 was still not correct, and I went back and added a comment to that effect.  I just need to knock off and go to bed so I can think clearly again.  I apologize for misleading you.

Quote:
because I have 4 4Meg static ram chips.

Do you mean 4 megabit SRAM chips, ie, 512Kx8?  That's the biggest I've found in 5V, and 2Mx8 is the biggest in 3.3V.  I am working on making a small 4Mx8 5V SRAM module to offer to the public though, and it will take considerably less board space than a 40-pin DIP.  It will be similar to what you find in PCs but much smaller.  The dual-row socket, either wire-wrap or soldertail, will fit into standard perfboard with holes on .100" centers, and is easily available.  More details later.  Edit: "Later" came, and the data sheet is available here.

Last edited by GARTHWILSON on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:10 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:

Quote:
because I have 4 4Meg static ram chips.

Do you mean 4 megabit SRAM chips, ie, 512Kx8? That's the biggest I've found in 5V, and 2Mx8 is the biggest in 3.3V. I am working on making a small 4Mx8 5V SRAM module to offer to the public though, and it will take considerably less board space than a 40-pin DIP. It will be similar to what you find in PCs but much smaller. The dual-row socket, either wire-wrap or soldertail, will fit into standard perfboard with holes on .100" centers, and is easily available. More details later.

Of course Im interested. If they are smaller than the 40 Pin DIP Hitachi 4M (512Kx8) chips I am planning on using hell YA!,
I came to the same problem there are higher density chips but they are all 3.3v which was sortof a bummer.
by the way, I dont know if its going to be cost effective to try to use straight logic circuits to do the same thing as what the old PLA did in the C64, The total lag time seems to be too much of a clock killer to be a reality. I did find a very nice solution
FPGA PLA and it might just do the trick as the claims are up to 100mhz bus speed, Plus since the original 6510 had those weird pins for the tape deck being an FPGA I think I can fiddle with it to fit the 816 processor better.
still dont know if I can put the VIC II IC in this design, will have to think about that because the bus is shared between the CPU and the VIC, IE one clock is CPU the next is VIC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 pm 

digidice wrote:
Okay Updated with monocrome ,
Thanks again Garth, I was a bit confused as to which wire went where, but I suppose it does not matter. I guess I spend a lot of time thinking of the logic in my head and end up over complicating things, hence a zillion logic gates sprinkled all over the place.

Updated DWG

What's the purpose of IC5? It seems as though all it is doing is gating the address bus, which appears to be an unnecessary function in this circuit. Since IC5 is tri-stated when Ø2 is low, you're losing the address setup time during the part of Ø2 low when A0-A15 become valid. If it were me, I'd remove IC5 entirely. Is there some alternate purpose it is serving that I am not seeing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 pm 

digidice wrote:
I put a 64K eeprom in 0 to 65535 (FFFF) then whats the memory going to do because I have 4 4Meg static ram chips. use an inverted VDP on the 138?

If you have ROM in the first 64K of address space what do you plan to do about zero page and a stack? At reset, the '816 sets the stack pointer to $01FF and the direct (zero) page pointer to $0000. You can't move the stack until the '816 is in native mode, and even then, both the stack and page zero must remain in the lowest 64K address range. Not going to be possible if ROM is in that area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
What's the purpose of IC5?

Never mind. Evidently I hadn't gulped enough coffee when I was looking at the schematic. BTW, you should consider changing that '573 to 74ABT technology. What you have right now isn't fast enough to get the bank address latched if the clock speed is more than about 4-6 MHz.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 pm 

Now that I've supercharged myself with caffeine and can more-or-less think straight, a couple of design notes:

1) Unused inputs on the MPU should not be allowed to float, as doing so makes them susceptible to noise, possibly causing strange effects that will drive you nuts. You should tie these signals to Vcc with pullups—3.3K is a good value, preferably by using SIPs, not discrete resistors. Keep the physical path between the SIPs and MPU as short as possible.

2) I said this elsewhere, but all glue logic should be (in order of preference) 74ABT, 74F or 74AC. I recommend you use a 74F138 for IC10 and IC12. Also, use a 74ABT573 at IC5. The latter has approximately 30 percent of Ø2 low in which to react to and latch the bank address. You need all the speed you can get, since that setup time is additive to the setup time on the SRAM and the prop time of the chip select logic.

3) I don't see any connections to the "G" inputs on IC12. How do you intend to have the '138 assert /Y7 when the ROM is supposed to be mapped in?

4) I believe you can eliminate IC7C by changing the manner in which you are gating IC10. The '138 is relatively slow (lots of internal gates) and adding an inverter to one of IC10's inputs adds yet more prop time to a circuit who expeditious operation is essential to being able to ramp up the clock rate.

5) You are not qualifying RWB with Ø2, which opens the door to random data corruption in SRAM due to inadvertent timing violations. D0-D7 are valid only when Ø2 is high. Otherwise, D0-D7 are either undefined (early part of Ø2 low) or hold the bank address (latter part of Ø2 low). Therefore, the /WE inputs on the SRAM should never be asserted while Ø2 is low. Carefully peruse the '816 timing diagram so this relationship is clear.

6) Is has long been customary in digital electronics notation to refer to the positive side of the power supply as Vcc and the negative side as Gnd (ground). This was an old military standard that was intended to be unambiguous. Notation such as Vss and Vdd are confusing to most of us old dinosaurs. Which one is positive? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:18 pm 

When looking at NMOS or CMOS parts, Vss and Vdd are more customary. Vss is the source voltage for an n-channel transistor, which makes it GND. Vdd is the drain, thus making it +Vcc in the TTL world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:58 pm 

kc5tja wrote:
When looking at NMOS or CMOS parts, Vss and Vdd are more customary. Vss is the source voltage for an n-channel transistor, which makes it GND. Vdd is the drain, thus making it +Vcc in the TTL world.

"Which one is positive?" was a rhetorical question. :) Outside of the distinctions of NMOS or CMOS hardware, the Vdd and Vss designations are too close to each other to be unambiguous.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next