6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: POC Computer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm 

Tor wrote:
Wouldn't the improvements to the filesystem remove the possibility to read or write a disk (or image) in Linux? Having the ability could be useful. 14-char filenames are very painful when you operate on large filesystems (and yours will be much larger than what the original S51K used to handle), so that improvement (and the others) are very understandable of course, but it seems you may also lose something in the process too (although I imagine at least the filename size increase is something that could easily be incorporated into a patched Linux filesystem variant).

-Tor

Your question is a good one and is about something I have contemplated in my design (BTW, your question also shows that you read most, if not all, of my diatribe :D). At this time, I'm not particularly concerned with being able to interface to a raw Linux disk or image. The point of this exercise is to develop a working environment, not to wire in interoperability with another operating system.

As an aside, my modified S51K filesystem will not be using the same magic number as the real S51K, so the door is always open to being able to read the genuine article at any time, if I choose to do so. Support for multiple filesystems would require that the data describing the filesystem geometry and access sequencing be separated from the code that manipulates the filesystem. Right now, it'll be more convenient to not do this until I have a working system. However, I have sketched out the methods by which such a thing could be accomplished.

A "feature" of my modified S51K filesystem is that it will not be using linked lists to manage data block and inode allocation/deallocation, as is done in the genuine article. Linked lists were a way to deal with the relatively slow disk access and compute-bound performance of the PDP hardware that Thompson used for much of his seminal development work. Again, he demonstrated some very clear thinking in doing it that way, and was able to achieve a good compromise between efficient disk space utilization and real-time performance.

However, contemporary hardware's compute-bound performance is such that an allocation bitmap is more efficient and less demanding of MPU time to search for and locate an unallocated block or inode (this applies to the 65C816, even at the relatively modest 10 MHz Ø2 clock rate I'm using in POC V1). Using 16 bit reads, writes and shifts to scan and manipulate the bitmap control words will help in this regard. For example, a 16 bit LDA <addr> comes with a one clock cycle penalty, due to it actually being back-to-back eight bit accesses, but is about 60 percent faster than LDA <addr> followed by LDA <addr+1> to read a word. So I anticipate substantially less compute-bound activity to manipulate the bitmap than I would see with manipulating linked lists.

Further to this performance angle is the fact that I have arranged the filesystem in a way that guarantees that bitmap structures will stored in contiguous disk blocks. Although it can't be done in the POC V1 unit due to its modest 52 KB of RAM, I will be able to read the entire inode allocation map into core in a single disk access in the POC V2 unit, since there will be enough RAM to support a large number of block buffers. The modified S51K layout will be configured with 64K of inodes. The matching allocation bitmap (IAM) will span eight logical blocks, or 16 physical blocks, which is 8 KB en toto. With POC V2's 1 MB of RAM, I can keep the entire IAM in core for a protracted period, which means that a disk access to retrieve the IAM doesn't have to occur every time a new file is created or an old one is deleted. A sync daemon would periodically write out the IAM when it becomes "dirty" so filesystem consistency is maintained.

The data block allocation bitmap (BAM) will be too big to be loaded en masse into core. However, I also have an algorithm worked out that will assist the kernel in figuring out which BAM block points to an unallocated data block, so only the relevant bitmap block is fetched when a data block is to be allocated. Once that block is ensconced in a buffer it can stay there as long as other buffers are available for use. The net result of this is that as a file is being written and data blocks are being allocated, the bitmap image is being manipulated with minimal disk accesses. This was something that wasn't particularly practical on the old PDP machines due to small core size.

In considering the idea of support for other filesystems, something worth noting is that the ext... series of Linux filesystems are effectively modifications and extensions of the basic S51K structure, with elements drawn from the Berkeley filesystem (BFS). This is also true of the AFS and EAFS filesystems that were widely supported in the SCO UNIX 3.2... series. So support for them could be provided as well. Again, it's primarily a case of separating the data from the logic, something that I'll eventually address when I have built hardware that can support pre-emptive multitasking.

------------------------
Fixed a typo that resulted in "core" becoming "code."

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In considering the idea of support for other filesystems, something worth noting is that the ext... series of Linux filesystems are effectively modifications and extensions of the basic S51K structure, with elements drawn from the Berkeley filesystem (BFS).[..]

I was an early tester (aka "guinea pig") of the ext filesystem that Remy Card wrote for Linux. In that variant he used linked lists, but lessons learned was that it lead to fragmentation (and, I think, also performance issues, but that part is only from memory because I don't think any of that correspondence made it into easily searchable online storage), and so he changed to bitmaps for ext2 (it's interesting in itself that he learned so much from the first 'ext' filesystem implementation that all the improvements implemented in ext2 were so good that the filesystem is holding up well even today. Sounds good for _your_ V2 project! :))

-Tor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:06 pm 

Tor wrote:
I was an early tester (aka "guinea pig") of the ext filesystem that Remy Card wrote for Linux. In that variant he used linked lists, but lessons learned was that it lead to fragmentation (and, I think, also performance issues, but that part is only from memory because I don't think any of that correspondence made it into easily searchable online storage), and so he changed to bitmaps for ext2 (it's interesting in itself that he learned so much from the first 'ext' filesystem implementation that all the improvements implemented in ext2 were so good that the filesystem is holding up well even today. Sounds good for _your_ V2 project! :))

-Tor

It's interesting that you mention the fragmentation issue, as it was mostly a non-issue on the comparatively tiny disks that existed when the S51K filesystem was developed. There just wasn't enough storage to matter. BTW, the Acer filesystem (AFS) that was developed some time after S51K went into widespread use dispensed with the linked lists and went with bitmaps. The extended Acer filesystem (EAFS) had the same feature, along with support for longer filenames. In another bit of irony, when Commodore developed their first floppy disk drive (c. 1978), it too used a bitmap for the BAM. That basic arrangement carried through the entire Commodore floppy drive line, right up to the 1581 3½ inch unit.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: POC V1 Filesystem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 pm 

I started a separate topic on the filesystem I am developing for POC V1, so as to not dilute this topic too much with software matters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:18 am 

BigEd wrote:
Hi BDD
is any of your firmware source available? If not, do you expect to publish it in the future?
Cheers
Ed

Ed, I posted the entire BIOS ROM listing on POC's website. Select Downloads and you'll see it. The file size is about 550KB (ASCII) and 11,700+ lines. This listing is ROM 0.8.1 and contains all planned features except one with which I'm still tinkering. Once that feature has been coded and debugged, the ROM will officially become version 1.0.0 and, barring the discovery of more bugs, will probably not receive further development. The next ROM will be for POC 2 when it gets built. Just about everything in POC V1's ROM will be transferable with little alteration.

Here's a synopsis of all the features of POC V1's ROM:

• 100 percent native 65C816 operation. Except for a few lines of code at the beginning of the reset routine, the 65C816 is run in native mode, using 16 bit operations where beneficial. I made extensive use of 816-specific instructions, especially in number processing.

• Buffered and interrupt-driven serial I/O. Port A is the console port and port B is the auxiliary port, presently used as a data link to my UNIX development box. Both ports can be run at up to 115.2 Kbps.

• Checkerboard memory sizing and testing. The tests include detailed scans of the zero page and stack areas before the POST display is enabled. Once POST is enabled the absolute memory count is displayed as testing progresses, just like on a "real" computer. :-D

• Interrupt-driven SCSI support. The SCSI subsystem implements all useful SCSI-1 features and a few SCSI-2 features. I did not implement tagged queuing and disconnect/reconnect, due to insufficient ROM space.

• BIOS primitives jump table. The jump table, starting at $00E000, includes entry points for console and auxiliary port byte-at-a-time I/O, reading and writing the timekeeper, SCSI command execution, character string output to the console, reading or writing NVRAM, etc.

• Initial system load (ISL) capability. Following POST and SCSI enumeration, the BIOS will attempt to load the boot block from the boot device (SCSI ID $00) and execute master boot code, if present. Master boot will then attempt to load and execute a stage 1 boot loader that can ultimately start an operating system. There is also space in the boot block allocated to setting up a filesystem table (four filesystems maximum per disk). Master boot does not look at this table—that's the job of the stage 1 boot loader.

• Uptime counter, programmable delay timer and alarm. I did the uptime counter early on as part of the exercise to get the Dallas watchdog to generate jiffy IRQs—the UT counter proved that the watchdog was not merely sleeping in his house. The UT counter is also handy for gauging the stability of the system (longest uptime to date has been 73 days).

Originally, I created the alarm to deal with a potential "no IRQ" issue with the 53C94 controller, but I have since found it useful for other purposes. I experimented with several implementations before settling on the present version, which isn't necessarily the final version.

• NVRAM support. The Dallas watchdog has 256 bytes of NVRAM available for any use. I use it to store the primary and secondary boot device IDs, the time zone (the clock itself is set to UTC), default console and auxiliary port BPS, and some other data. There's a 16 bit checksum to verify that valid data exists. Due to a lack of space in the BIOS ROM, an external program has to be loaded and run to change NVRAM, or to set the date and time.

• Intelligent console support. I devised a macro language that can be embedded in any text string to execute console procedures, such as clearing the screen, addressing the cursor, and so forth. There are also commands to change display intensity, enable reverse video and draw box graphics, the latter which I put to work in displaying the POST screen's banner.

• Machine language monitor. The monitor was scratch-written to use the 65C816's native mode and 16 bit registers. Monitor features include:

• A - Assemble code.
    • C - Compare memory areas.
    • D - Disassemble code.
    • F - Fill memory.
    • G - Execute code.
    • H - Search memory for pattern.
    • J - Execute code as a subroutine.
    • L - Load code (see below).
    • M - Dump memory.
    • R - Dump MPU registers.
    • T - Copy memory to memory.
    • V - Display ROM version.
    • Z - Clear console screen.
    • > - Change memory.
    • ; - Change MPU registers.
    • ! - Execute SCSI command. Commands include:

• F - Format unit.
      • I - Reset SCSI subsystem.
      • R - Read block(s) from unit.
      • S - Read sense data from device.
      • W - Write block(s) to unit.

• Ctrl-D - Soft-reset system, similar to a PC's three-finger salute.

The F and T commands are implemented with the '816's MVN (block copy) instruction, resulting in incredibly quick response. SCSI commands are entered as:

Code:
    !<cmd>

followed by whatever parameters are required. For example, to read from a SCSI device, one would enter:

Code:
    !r <ID> <LUN> <LBA> <NBLKS> <BUFFER>

where:

Code:
    <ID>      SCSI device ID, $00-$07
    <LUN>     SCSI logical unit (usually zero on most devices)
    <LBA>     Logical block address, zero-based
    <NBLKS>   Number of blocks to read (512 bytes per block with disks and tapes, 2048 with CDs)
    <BUFFER>  Where the blocks will go

In addition to the above commands, the monitor has a built-in number conversion feature. Typing a number in binary, octal, decimal or hex will display that number in all four bases, e.g.:

Code:
    +49151
      $BFFF
      +49151
      @00137777
      %1011111111111111

All numbers are internally represented by 32 bit integers. Addresses and instruction operands may be entered as 8, 16 or 24 bit values in any base, although POC V1's architecture doesn't decode addresses beyond $00FFFF. Depending on the instruction, it is possible to assemble code with a 24 bit address, e.g.:

Code:
    LDA $123456,X

although the address' MSB ($12) will not result in access to RAM bank $12, since there is no bank other than $00. Also, since the '816 has dual-sized registers, an instruction such as:

Code:
    LDA #$8F04

is legitimate. Entering:

Code:
    LDA !#$21

will assemble as:

Code:
    A9 21 00  LDA #$0021

a feature referred to as "force long immediate" (FLIMM) in the ROM listing comments. Without the !, the instruction would be assembled as:

Code:
    A9 21  LDA #$21

This also works for the .X and .Y registers. Plus you can also do something like:

Code:
    BIT !#$21

which will assemble as:

Code:
    89 21 00  BIT #$0021

Of course, you could also enter it as:

Code:
    BIT !#%100001

and get the same result. Hex is the default radix if no radix is entered.

The data loader (L) takes a Motorola S-record input stream from the auxiliary serial port, converts it to binary, checks for errors and writes to the appropriate location in memory. During the load a progress indicator is printed to the console and when done, the starting and ending addresses to which the load occurred are displayed. Normally, loading occurs to the address in each record, but can be changed for the entire load by entering a page offset, e.g.;

Code:
    L $04

The above would add $0400 to all load addresses, wrapping around if the resulting address exceeds $FFFF. The loader can process S0, S1, S5 and S9 records—the computer sending the S-record data must transmit <EOT> as the last character to terminate the process. The loader can deal with CRLF or LF line endings, making it compatible with S-record files created in either Linux/UNIX or DOS/Windows.

All of the above is crammed into an 8KB ROM space. There are only 81 bytes in the ROM that are unused.

By the way, any resemblance between this monitor's features and those of the Commodore 128's resident monitor wasn't coincidental. :-D The C-128's monitor was well-designed (unusual for CBM—they must've purloined Jim Butterfield's SuperMon :lol:), and other than adding the SCSI commands and S-record loader, as well as extended addressing support, I didn't see any need for any functional improvement. The monitor's code is not a copy, however, as the '816 is sufficiently advanced over the 6502 to warrant starting with a blank canvas.

As published, the ROM listing can't be assembled unless edited to get rid of the stuff added by the assembler. However, before someone starts writing a sed script to do so, you should know that when the ROM reaches version 1.0.0, my next task will be to disassociate the machine language monitor from the rest of the ROM and make it available for anyone who wants it. As written, all source code is tailored to the Kowalski assembler, with extensive macro usage to adapt to the '816-specific instructions. To make it easier for someone to assemble the code outside of the Kowalski environment, I'll eventually generate a version that will be compliant to WDC's assembler syntax standards and as devoid of macros as possible.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

Excellent, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 am 

If anyone is interested in experimenting with a 65C816-powered SBC, I have enough parts on hand to build two more copies of POC V1. I can furnish the unit ready to run, or as a "kit" (pile of parts—everything is through-hole except the SRAM and MAX238, the former being SOJ-32 and the latter, SOIC-24). In either case, a tested ROM and complete documentation will be included: schematics, board layout (both EPCB files) and the source code for the ROM, all on a CD. For a listing of all ROM features please read this post.

Also, I can furnish a SCSI host adapter (HBA) if wanted. The HBA plugs into the RTC/expansion socket on the mainboard and supports any 8 bit SCSI device (maximum of 7). 16 bit devices can be connected to the SCSI bus with a standard bus adapter. The BIOS will auto-detect the presence of the HBA and any connected devices, and enable the SCSI driver if at least one device is accessible.

POC V1's hardware specifications are as follows:

• W65C816S microprocessor.
  • 128 KB static RAM, 52 KB addressable.
  • 32 KB ROM, 8 KB addressable.
  • Dual TIA-232 serial interface ports (RJ-45), simultaneously capable of 115.2 Kbps with custom programming (set to 38.4 Kbps in the BIOS ROM).
  • Real-time clock (RTC) with calendar and alarm.
  • Expansion port.
  • 74AC glue logic.