6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: POC Computer
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:33 pm 

I discovered that page two of the POC V1.1 schematic had a typo in the read/write qualification truth table. The corrected version has been posted.

Post subject: Re: POC V1.1 Computer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:36 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In order to prove some of my ideas about driving the SCSI host adapter DMA style, I cobbled together a driver that uses the DREQ and /DACK handshake, but doesn't actually generate IRQs...

I finally replaced the PIO mode SCSI driver in the POC's BIOS ROM with the new DMA style driver. In the process, I was able to slightly shrink the code, which is important because that ROM is nearly full and I still have to figure out how to make this driver work with IRQs. Doing so will add complication to the interrupt service routine, and thus use more bytes. I may find myself going through the entire BIOS ROM source code, which now has nearly 12,000 lines spread out in 84 separate .INCLUDE files, looking for ways to trim some fat. Not my very favoritest thing to do. :(

Incidentally, something I will eventually be doing is building POC V2 (it's already in the early design stages), which thanks to more advanced logic, will have the BIOS running in an 8K ROM segment ($00E000-$00FFFF) and the machine language monitor running in a separate 4K ROM segment ($00C000-$00CFFF)—right now, both are crammed into 8KB because I didn't want to occupy the $C000 block with ROM. To accomplish this, I will have to rejigger the M/L monitor source code so it can be assembled independently of the BIOS. Once I get this separation process completed, the monitor's source code should be in a condition where it could be assembled for other 65C816-powered contraptions, with minor adjustments to define memory usage (mostly on page zero). Also, some of the monitor's display functions would have to be adapted to the characteristics of the particular device on which it will run. I don't think most folks here would have any trouble with it.

Post subject: Re: POC V1.1 Computer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:24 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
In order to prove some of my ideas about driving the SCSI host adapter DMA style, I cobbled together a driver that uses the DREQ and /DACK handshake, but doesn't actually generate IRQs...

I finally replaced the PIO mode SCSI driver in the POC's BIOS ROM with the new DMA style driver. In the process, I was able to slightly shrink the code, which is important because that ROM is nearly full and I still have to figure out how to make this driver work with IRQs. Doing so will add complication to the interrupt service routine, and thus use more bytes. I may find myself going through the entire BIOS ROM source code, which now has nearly 12,000 lines spread out in 84 separate .INCLUDE files, looking for ways to trim some fat. Not my very favoritest thing to do. :(

I was able to shrink the ROM consumption some more by crafting a different approach to assembling and disassembling code. The assembly and disassembly processes are built around the use of look-up tables. Without boring anyone with a lot of tedious minutia, I was able to reduce one of the tables' size and free up about 72 bytes in the ROM. An unintentional effect of doing so was a slight increase in the rate at which mnemonics can be looked up and validated. There may be other things I could do to further shrink the ROM, but the 72 byte gain, for now, was enough to accomplish the next step, which was to make the SCSI code interrupt-driven.

With IRQs taking care of what the 53C94 is doing, SCSI transfers have increased in speed. At 10 MHz, I'm closing in on 500 KB per second. Accurately measuring performance is kind of tough because the granularity of the IRQ-driven uptime counter is 10 ms, which isn't really good enough for an accurate picture of the SCSI transfer rate. I could use the counter/timer in the 2692 DUART instead of the watchdog timer to generate jiffy IRQs (say, at 1 ms intervals), but would end up using more code to do so, plus more MPU cycles handling the more closely spaced IRQs. So for now, I'll settle on approximations.

The important thing is that I got IRQs to do the SCSI dispatching, instead of each bus phase handler looking at the 'C94's interrupt status register on every read or write iteration. As I have reduced the read or write loops to little more than handshaking the 'C94's DMA port and getting or putting a byte, the code is probably as tight as it is going to get and I'm not likely to realize more performance unless I can somehow interface a real DMA controller to the system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 am 

Hi BDD
is any of your firmware source available? If not, do you expect to publish it in the future?
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:24 pm 

BigEd wrote:
is any of your firmware source available?

Not in a particularly portable form. I used the Kowalski simulator to develop the firmware and thus will have to massage the published code to make it more palatable to other assemblers. As it stands right now, the code is heavily dependent on macros to synthesize the 65C816 instructions that don't exist in the Kowalski assembler.

Quote:
...do you expect to publish it in the future?

Yes, but probably not here. I've been (slowly) putting together a website for this project, on which I will make the firmware available, along with the schematics, PCB layouts, etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
EDIT: The website is up and running, though not complete. Source code and assembler listings are current as of November 2012.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:08 pm 

No, posting here may not be practical, but it would be good to see it posted somewhere, one day!

Look forward to seeing the website in due course.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:27 pm 

-

Post subject: POC V1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Also, as I noted above in a (deleted) reply to BigEd, I am starting to put together a website on the POC series, which will be hosted on my company's web server at http://sbc.bcstechnology.net once it goes live (it's a 404 link right now).

The POC website is now active, but far from complete.

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 am 

POC V1 has now achieved 60 days of continuous uptime—the uptime counter read $004F1A9B (5,184,155) seconds. In order to keep it from getting bored with sitting around and waiting for me to do something, I've got some little jobs that wake up and run at periodic intervals, mostly doing reads and writes from the disk. The idea isn't so much to accomplish anything useful as to prove out some coding concepts that will find their way into POC V2. POC V2 will be able to support a modest amount of preemptive multitasking (12 or 13 tasks maximum) and I will have to write a kernel that will exploit that capability without tripping over its own shoelaces. POC V1 is good for testing these concepts (recall that POC means "proof of concept"), especially the one of asynchronous process execution. If the unit suddenly goes belly up I will know something I concocted in that department isn't copacetic. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
POC V1 has now achieved 60 days of continuous uptime—the uptime counter read $004F1A9B (5,184,155) seconds. In order to keep it from getting bored with sitting around and waiting for me to do something, I've got some little jobs that wake up and run at periodic intervals, mostly doing reads and writes from the disk. The idea isn't so much to accomplish anything useful as to prove out some coding concepts that will find their way into POC V2. POC V2 will be able to support a modest amount of preemptive multitasking (12 or 13 tasks maximum) and I will have to write a kernel that will exploit that capability without tripping over its own shoelaces. POC V1 is good for testing these concepts (recall that POC means "proof of concept"), especially the one of asynchronous process execution. If the unit suddenly goes belly up I will know something I concocted in that department isn't copacetic. :lol:

That's quite impressive :-)

Some Windows versions had a bug where they would mysteriously crash after 48 days or so. This bug went unnoticed for a long time because uptimes approaching 48 days were quite uncommon for Windows anyway. Sad, but true.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
copacetic

Had to look that word up. Not in common usage on this side of the pond.

Open Source Projects - https://github.com/andrew-jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm 

BitWise wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
copacetic

Had to look that word up. Not in common usage on this side of the pond.

No one seems to know from where that word came. Merriam-Webster says its earliest known citation was in 1919. Back when I worked in the transportation industry I had a British colleague who used it all the time.

Me: Is there power to the event recorder?

John (the Brit): Yes. Everything seems to be copacetic.

Maybe it's a UK word that found its way to the Colonies via GIs returning from the Great War. :D

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:18 pm 

rwiker wrote:
Some Windows versions had a bug where they would mysteriously crash after 48 days or so. This bug went unnoticed for a long time because uptimes approaching 48 days were quite uncommon for Windows anyway. Sad, but true.

Yep, recall that. Apparently there was a 32 bit counter that was getting updated on every jiffy IRQ, which happened at 18 millisecond intervals. When the counter rolled over the machine crashed. But, as you noted, the machine usually went belly-up well before the uptime counter overflowed. Wonderful Windows. How did we ever manage before it came on the scene? :?

BTW, here's a video of one of Microsoft's more embarrassing moments, featuring Windows 98.

Post subject: POC V1 Filesystem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:42 am 

Having gotten SCSI mass storage working to a reasonable level of satisfaction on my POC V1, I am now heading toward the goal of writing a lightweight kernel for the unit. The kernel, of course, has to be able to handle the mass storage, and that means a filesystem is needed, as well as a means to get the kernel loaded into RAM and executing. If I can accomplish that then I'm on my way to writing an operating system that can do something useful.

As I'm somewhat (!) partial to UNIX-like operating systems, I am going to model my first effort on some aspects of the old UNIX System V environment that was popular for so long. For the sake of discussion, I've dubbed this yet-to-be-designed kernel 816NIX. Since I will be, in effect, creating a very lightweight form of System V, I'm going to base my filesystem on the venerable S51K filesystem that native to System V.

S51K is not too difficult to implement on 16 bit hardware like the POC. Using 32 bit integer arithmetic, a very large (1 TB) filesystem can be supported and a maximum file size of 16.7 GB is possible. Neither is possible, of course, on the ancient Seagate Hawk SCSI disk that is attached to POC. However, I certainly can set up a filesystem with pretty good capacity. Of course, before firing up the assembler, I had to work out one or two little details.

One of the first details to be hashed out has to do with a basic characteristic of the S51K filesystem and the hardware on which it was originally used. The 1K part of S51K refers to the 1 KB disk block size used in the DEC PDP-11 minicomputer on which so much UNIX development took place. I don't recall anymore if that block size was an embedded hardware feature or something that could be programmed in some fashion or another. In contrast, all SCSI disks since inception of the standard (and the SASI-controlled ST-506/412 disks that preceded embedded controller SCSI units) use 512 byte blocks by default. SCSI commands that access the medium using a logical block address (LBA) are able to access multiple blocks in a single operation, so it is possible in software achieve the effect of a virtual 1 KB block size.

Contemplation of the S51K's design (incidentally, S51K is still supported in Linux), as well as the basic mannerisms of most SCSI disks, led me to decide on a 1 KB block size. From a structural standpoint, the S51K filesystem's architecture better fits a block size that is an even multiple of 1 KB. This characteristic nicely dovetails with another important feature of modern SCSI disks, which is full-track buffering. Since a 1 KB block size means two contiguous 512 byte blocks are accessed in a single transaction, and since filesystem structure access involves contiguous blocks, the aggregate time consumed in disk access, when measured on a per block basis, is less than that of a single 512 byte block access. Full-track buffering also means access of other blocks on the same track do not require access to the medium.

Just about all SCSI disks that conform to the SCSI-2 standard of 1994 also support being formatted to some block size other than 512 bytes. For example, the Seagate Product Manual for their line of SCSI-2 disks says that block sizes from 256 to 4096 bytes are possible. I briefly thought about doing this but dismissed the idea. Not all disk accesses would necessarily be 1 KB in size—reading the master boot block, for example. Making 1 KB the default could lead to some awkward coding situations. So I decided to stay with the default 512 byte size.

The next step was to contemplate the S51K filesystem structure and see if there were areas that could benefit from changes that would ease adaptation of the filesystem to the POC's environment. Actually, there is little about the S51K filesystem that can be improved without going into more esoteric features, such as transaction intent logging and journaling (both of which help in reducing filesystem damage in the event of a crash). Ken Thompson did a good job in anticipating the future, especially the growth of disk sizes as the SCSI standard evolved. However, I did come up with some changes that I thought would be benificial.

The first was to increase the maximum filename size from the S51K's 14 characters to 30 characters. I did this by increasing the size of a directory "slot" from 16 to 32 bytes. Of the 32 bytes, two are used for the 16 bit inode number associated with the filename, leaving the balance of the slot for the filename. While this change increases the amount of space consumed by a directory with an arbitrary number of filenames, it's not much of a concern with the capacity of modern disks. Although a filename search of an S51K directory is linear, the full-track buffering of modern drives greatly reduces the across-the-bus transfer time required to read in pieces of the directory.

Another change I came up with is the notion of separating internal file block addresses from the physical structure of the disk. By way of explanation, a SCSI disk is accessed using a zero-based logical block address (LBA), which the drive's controller internally translates into a cylinder-head-sector address. This feature assures that the disk drivers in any operating system kernel will work with any SCSI disk, regardless of size and/or manufacturer. In order for a 1 KB filesystem block access to occur, two physical blocks must be accessed in succession, using the LBA of the first block only and specifying two blocks in the command descriptor block (CDB) sent to the disk when the command is issued. Since block addresses effectively skip by twos, some odd math gets involved that actually increases the MPU's workload in determining where on the disk accesses must occur.

So what I have done is used the idea of a logical block offset (LBO) within the filesystem. The offset is zero-based to the filesystem block which is the first physical block of an S51K filesystem. If during the access of a file LBO 21 is required, the MPU simple takes that number, doubles it and adds the result to the superblock's LBA. If the filesystem gets relocated it can be moved en masse, since the LBOs associated with all files don't have to change. Also, use of an LBO simplifies allocation of a block to a file when needed. The translation from an LBO to an LBA is simple 32 bit integer arithmetic—doubling an LBO is a case of a 16 bit ASL followed by a 16 bit ROL. By design, filesystems will always start on an even LBA, although there is no special requirement for this. However, even addressing takes better advantage of full-track buffering, which will help overall performance.

The rest of my filesystem would be recognizable to Ken Thompson, since, as I earlier said, there's little to improve. Here are the notes from the declarations file I wrote that describes the layout of a bootable disk with two filesystems.

Code:
DISK LAYOUT & SYSTEM START-UP INFORMATION
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
The POC series includes a SCSI-2 subsystem equipped with an 8 bit bus, which
means up to 7 devices of various types may be attached.  It is only possible to
create a filesystem on a random access device.  In the following discussion,
"disk" will refer to any random access storage device, be it a hard drive, CD-
ROM or other mass storage device.

Each disk can support up to 4 filesystems.  Each defined filesystem has an en-
try in the filesystem table that is located in physical block $00 of the disk.
Traditionally, this block is referred to as the "boot block" (or master boot
block), even if the disk is not bootable.

If a disk is bootable, the boot block will also contain the master boot machine
code that is the 1st step in bringing the system up to full operation.  The 1st
filesystem on this disk will be the boot filesystem & will contain the kernel.

Pictorially, the layout of a bootable disk with 2 filesystems is as follows:

DISK LAYOUT            Starting Physical Block LBA
   +===============================+ ======================================
   |                               | The starting LBA of this filesystem is
   |                               | defined by pb_fs002, which is equal to
   |        user filesystem        | the root filesystem's size (physical
   |                               | blocks) added to the root filesystem's
   |                               | starting LBA (defined by pb_fs001).
   +===============================+ $???????? (pb_fs002)
   |                               |
   |        root filesystem        |
   |                               |
   +===============================+ $00000022 (pb_fs001)
   |           reserved            |
   +———————————————————————————————+ $00000012 (pb_rsrvd)
   |      stage 1 boot blocks      |
   +———————————————————————————————+ $00000002 (pb_stag1)
   |           not used            |
   +———————————————————————————————+ $00000001 (pb_unusd)
   |       master boot block       |
   +===============================+ $00000000 (pb_mboot)

By convention, the boot filesystem is called root & is referred to in the dir-
ectory tree as "/".  The user filesystem can be given an arbitrary name, other
than root, & is often referred to as "/u" in the directory tree, "/u" being the
mount point in the root filesystem for the user filesystem (i.e., the command
cd /u will place the user in the user filesystem).

The above layout also applies to a non-boot disk.  However, blocks $00000002
through $00000011 inclusive aren't used & no master boot code is present in the
boot block.  Refer to the boot.65s & stage1.65s source files for more informa-
tion.

—————————————————
FILESYSTEM LAYOUT
—————————————————
The filesystem models some aspects of the UNIX S51K filesystem, but with addit-
ions & changes to better acclimate to the W65C816S environment.  Like the S51K
filesystem, the 816NIX filesystem uses a 1 KB logical block size, which on a
hard disk, is 2 contiguous 512 byte physical blocks.  Although handling storage
in this fashion is less efficient in terms of disk space utilization (consider
that a file with 1 byte would consume 1024 bytes on a hard disk), it tends to
promote better structural efficiency.

Pictorially, the layout of a filesystem is as follows:

MODIFIED S51K FILESYSTEM LAYOUT   Logical Block Offset (LBO)
   +=================================+ ==================================
   |                                 | starting LBO depends on the number
   |         data block array        | of data blocks in filesystem
   +—————————————————————————————————+ $?????? (fs_dba)
   | data block allocation map (BAM) |
   +—————————————————————————————————+ $000409 (fs_bam)
   |            inode array          |
   +—————————————————————————————————+ $000009 (fs_inode)
   |   inode allocation map (IAM)    |
   +—————————————————————————————————+ $000001 (fs_iam)
   |           superblock            |
   +=================================+ $000000 (fs_super)

All filesystem accesses are in "logical blocks," using a "logical block offset"
or LBO, which is not to be confused with a physical block address (LBA).  The
number of physical blocks in a logical block is 2^n, where n is any positive
integer.  Hence 2^0 means a logical block is 1 physical block, 2^1 is 2 physi-
cal blocks, etc.  This arrangement simplifies the conversion of an LBO to an
LBA.

The following discussion will elaborate on each major element in a filesystem.

§ Superblock.  The superblock contains the administrative data needed by the
  kernel to mount the filesystem, that is, to make it accessible to both kernel
  functions & applications.  A corrupted superblock will render the filesystem
  inaccessible.

§ Inodes.  In a sense, the inodes are the files, as inodes encapsulate the ad-
  ministrative data needed to access file contents.  Inodes identify where each
  file is located, how much data is in it, when that data was last accessed, &
  so forth.  Each inode is assigned a 16 bit number ranging from $0001 (1) to
  $FFFF (65535).  An inode number in one filesystem has no relationship to the
  same inode number in another filesystem.

§ Data blocks.  The data blocks are where file data are stored.  In the case of
  large files, indirect address blocks are used to track where the data blocks
  proper are located.  This arrangement allows the kernel to use non-contiguous
  blocks in an efficient manner.  Each file's inode has a block address table
  that points to the 1st 10 data blocks & up to 3 indirect address blocks.
  Hence the data in any file whose size is no more than 10 KB can be accessed
  with a single disk access.

§ Inode allocation map.  The IAM is a bitmap that indicates which inodes are in
  use & which are not.  The 1st bit indicates the status of inode $01, the 2nd,
  inode $02, etc., with a set bit indicating that the corresponding inode is
  available.  Inode $00 is not used, as $0000 in the inode field in a directory
  slot indicates a deleted file.  When a new file is created, the kernel will
  scan the IAM to find the 1st available inode.

§ Block allocation map.  The BAM is a bitmap that indicates which data blocks
  are in use & which are not.  The 1st bit indicates the status of the 1st data
  block, the 2nd bit, the 2nd data block, etc., with a set bit indicating that
  the corresponding block is available.

When data is written to a new or truncated file, the kernel will scan the BAM
  to find the 1st available block.  If data is appended to an existing file, a
  new block will be allocated only when the last block in the file is filled.
  If the file size exceeds 10 KB following a write, an indirect block will be
  allocated, as well as a data block.

As previously noted, all locations within a filesystem are addressed by a logi-
cal block offset (LBO), which is a signed 32 bit value & is zero-based relative
to the superblock.  The corresponding LBA for any LBO is computed as follows:

LBA = LBO * (2^n) + SLBA

where LBO is the zero-based logical block number & SLBA is the LBA of the sup-
erblock.  The number of physical blocks to be accessed will be 2^n.  LBOs with-
in files are stored as 24 bit quantities & expanded to 32 bits by the kernel
during file access, allowing a theoretical maximum file size of 16.7 GB.  In
practice, this limit cannot be attained, as indirect blocks count as part of
the total block count of a file.

Note in the above filesystem pictograph that the space assigned to the super-
block, IAM & inode array is fixed, as the sizes of these data structures are
atomically hard coded in the present implementation.  The size of the BAM is
determined by the number of data blocks in the filesystem, which in turn, is
determined by the size of the filesystem minus the overhead of the superblock &
inode structures.  This relationship may be expressed as:

O = (N_SB + 1) + N_IAM + N_INA

and:

FSS = O + (D + (D / r))

where (letter) O is the space consumed by the superblock (N_SB), IAM (N_IAM) &
inode array (N_INA), D is the number of data blocks & r is the number of bits
in a logical block.  FSS is the total filesystem size.  All block expressions
are logical blocks.

In the above equation, the only unknown is D.  FSS is set by the administrator
at the time the filesystem is created, O is static & r may be empirically deter-
mined:

r = (2^n) × b

As earlier explained, 2^n is the number of physical blocks in a logical block &
b is a constant equal to the number of bits in a physical block.

To determine D:

FSS - O = D + (D / r)

For simplification purposes:

U = FSS - O

followed by:

U = D + (D / r)

where U is the number of blocks available for data & the BAM.

With U & r known, D can be determined by:

D = r × U / (r + 1)

With D known, the number of BAM blocks required for D data blocks can also be
determined:

B = U - D

The number of active bits in the BAM would be equal to D.

——————————————
SYSTEM STARTUP
——————————————
At power-on or reset, the MPU jumps through the hardware reset vector, which is
atomically defined as $00FFFC-$00FFFD.  The reset code in the BIOS ROM starts
by disabling IRQs, setting binary arithmetic mode & switching the MPU to 65C02
emulation & then back to 65C816 native mode.  The disabling of IRQs & resetting
to binary mode is necessary to deal with the case when software calls the reset
routine—these actions are automatic when a hardware reset occurs.

The effect of switching MPU modes is to default the direct page & program bank
registers, reset the stack pointer to $000100, & set the accumulator & index
registers sizes to 8 bits.  Hence the MPU starts off in a known state before
executing the balance of the reset code.

With these preliminary operations completed, normal system startup will proceed
as follows:

1)  The BIOS will start by testing zero page & stack memory.  Any failure will
    cause an immediate system halt.  The BIOS will not be able to report that
    the test has failed, as no hardware intialization will have been performed
    at this stage of the boot process & thus no ouput to the console will be
    possible.

2)  Next, the timekeeping & I/O hardware will initialized & jiffy IRQs will be
    started.  The power-on self-test (POST) banner will be displayed & the bal-
    ance of memory will tested.  As testing proceeds, a memory count will be
    displayed.  If defective memory is encountered, a terse error message will
    be displayed & the system will be halted.

3)  Following POST, the SCSI subsystem will tested & configured, & the SCSI bus
    will be reset.  If testing fails, a terse error message will be displayed &
    control will be given to the ROM-resident machine code monitor.

4)  Following SCSI subsystem configuration, the SCSI bus will be interrogated
    for the presence of devices & the SCSI device table located at $000110 in
    RAM will be populated for each detected device.  Disks will be issued the
    "start unit" command & tape drives will be issued the "load tape" command.
    A device enumeration will be displayed.

5)  Next, the BIOS will attempt to load the boot block from the designated boot
    device (usually SCSI ID 0) into RAM at $000400.  Note that the BIOS knows
    nothing about filesystems & can only load the boot block & execute the mas-
    ter boot code therein.  If the boot device fails to respond or doesn't have
    a valid boot block, control will be given to the machine code monitor.  No
    error message will be displayed should this happen.

6)  If step 5 was successful, the master boot code will be executed.  As space
    in the boot block for executable code is constrained, master boot will load
    the stage 1 boot code, which is stored at physical block 2 on the disk, in-
    to RAM at $000600.  A total of 16 physical blocks will be loaded.  If stage
    1 code cannot be loaded, an error message will be displayed & control will
    be given to the machine code monitor.

7)  Master boot will examine the stage 1 boot image to verify that it contains
    valid code.  If stage 1 is invalid, an error message will be displayed &
    control will be given to the machine code monitor.  Otherwise, master boot
    will pass control to the stage 1 boot code.

8)  The stage 1 boot code will examine the filesystem table located in the boot
    block (which will remain resident in RAM) to find the root filesystem on
    the disk.  If it is found, an error message will be displayed & control
    will be given to the machine code monitor.

9)  If the root filesystem is found, "Stage 1 boot..." will be displayed & the
    root directory will be searched for the file bootos, which contains the
    stage 2 boot code.  As bootos is loaded it will be checked for corruption
    to avoid the potential for root filesystem damage.  If bootos cannot be
    found, is found to be corrupted  or if the root directory is unreadable, an
    error message will be displayed & control will be given to the machine code
    monitor.

10) If found, bootos will be loaded into RAM at $00A000 & executed.  bootos is
    the 1st program executed during the boot sequence that is interactive.  It
    will start by clearing the console screen, displaying a banner & searching
    the root filesystem for the file 816nix, which is the default kernel.  If
    816nix is not present, bootos will issue a warning message but will contin-
    ue to the next step.

11) bootos will display the boot prompt & wait for up to 15 seconds for user
    input.  If there is no user response, bootos will time out & attempt to
    continue the boot process.

12) If the user presses [CR] without typing anything, bootos will continue the
    boot process in the same fashion as if it had timed out.

13) If the user enters a recognizable command it will be executed & then bootos
    will await another command.

14) Upon being commanded to boot or having timed out at the boot prompt, bootos
    will load the main kernel into RAM at $000200 & interrupt handler code into
    RAM at $00E000.  As the kernel is read in from 816nix, it will be checked
    for possible corruption.  Should corruption be detected, or if 816nix can-
    not be found, bootos will display an error message & give control to the
    machine code monitor.

15) Upon successfully loading the kernel, bootos will go to the kernel's start
    vector.  The kernel, in turn, will complete the system initialization proc-
    ess & initd.  initd will complete the startup & when everything is ready it
    will be possible to log in.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Wed May 18, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:21 am 

Wouldn't the improvements to the filesystem remove the possibility to read or write a disk (or image) in Linux? Having the ability could be useful. 14-char filenames are very painful when you operate on large filesystems (and yours will be much larger than what the original S51K used to handle), so that improvement (and the others) are very understandable of course, but it seems you may also lose something in the process too (although I imagine at least the filename size increase is something that could easily be incorporated into a patched Linux filesystem variant).

-Tor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next