6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:22 pm 

While I don't see fabrication problems with 90 degree corners which are produced by the autorouter, when I do manually route, I do 45 degree corners as well because it is a shorter trace. The autorouter is 20+ years old that was packaged with now-defunct WinBoard software. They had a "design for manufacturability" option for the autorouter that will create 45 degree corners except the option doubled the base price of the pcb software. I was too cheap to pay for it. Company (IVEX) was gone after 2003 and I never upgraded. I've done several hundred board designs with it on a Windows 98 laptop, so I'm sticking with it (until the laptop die).

PS, I'm fairly sure I'm the only person in the world using WinBoard. That either makes me unique or just plain crazy! :roll:
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:15 pm 

plasmo wrote:
I'm fairly sure I'm the only person in the world using WinBoard. That either makes me unique or just plain crazy! :roll:
Bill

The proper word is "eccentric", and I promise that you have plenty of kindred spirits here.

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:04 pm 

plasmo wrote:
The autorouter is 20+ years old that was packaged with now-defunct WinBoard software...PS, I'm fairly sure I'm the only person in the world using WinBoard. That either makes me unique or just plain crazy! :roll:

As Mike said, eccentric. :D

BTW, I'm also not one to retire software just because a “new-and-improved” version comes along. My Windows box is XP SP3, which does what I need it to do. Sure, web browsers running on it aren't usable with some sites, but I really don't care. Site designers who can't maintain backward compatibility with established W3C standards are lazy, in my opinion, and the site they've developed isn't worthy of my time. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:59 pm 

barrym95838 wrote:
and I promise that you have plenty of kindred spirits here.

Yep. I'm using an even older version of Easy PC Pro. I quit taking their updates 20+ years ago because they were adding features that were of no value to me, and they were making the original features harder to access and use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:48 pm 

Just go to show you when we said "retro", we meant retro in ways and means; retro for both the end products and the tools. Furthermore, them retro designers look pretty "retro" as well. We'll fit right in the Civil War Reenactment crowd, no questions asked! (Apology to sburrow who is retro only in heart).
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:14 pm 

plasmo wrote:
Just go to show you when we said "retro", we meant retro in ways and means; retro for both the end products and the tools. Furthermore, them retro designers look pretty "retro" as well. We'll fit right in the Civil War Reenactment crowd, no questions asked! (Apology to sburrow who is retro only in heart).
Bill

HAHA, well I was BORN in the 80's, does that count? :)

Chad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:43 am 

sburrow wrote:
plasmo wrote:
Just go to show you when we said "retro", we meant retro in ways and means; retro for both the end products and the tools. Furthermore, them retro designers look pretty "retro" as well. We'll fit right in the Civil War Reenactment crowd, no questions asked! (Apology to sburrow who is retro only in heart).Bill

HAHA, well I was BORN in the 80's, does that count? :)

80s? Geesh! I reached 40 in the 80s. :shock: Compared to me, you're still wet behind the ears. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:39 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
My Windows box is XP SP3, which does what I need it to do.

As someone who works in the cyber security business, I have a knee-jerk reaction to people making admissions like this. :wink:

I mean, I also have a WinXP box, but it’s never connected to the Internet or the network.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 pm 

The best way of keeping retro hardware (like my Windows 98 board design tool) alive for 20+ years is turning it off when not using. It is also a surprisingly effective way of keeping computer virus away.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm 

speculatrix wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
My Windows box is XP SP3, which does what I need it to do.

As someone who works in the cyber security business, I have a knee-jerk reaction to people making admissions like this. :wink:

Aw, c'mon! Every version of Windows, right up to 10, has security problems.

As for cyber security, that starts with common sense, not software remedies. The first bit of common sense is to not use Microsoft application software, especially their abominations that pass for a web browser and E-mail client. Microsoft has consistently demonstrated they don't understand computer security, as the lion's share of the publicly-disclosed cracks are on Windows-powered machines. Their bloatware operating system has the same weaknesses today that it did 20 years ago.

The second bit of common sense is to, well, use common sense. Just as I don't venture into certain neighborhoods in Chicago (unless armed, and I'm not talking about a pocket knife :wink:), I don't venture into areas of the Internet that may lead to problems. If you go looking for trouble it will find you.

Quote:
I mean, I also have a WinXP box, but it’s never connected to the Internet or the network.

Chicken! :D

Not only is mine continuously powered and attached to the network, but I even use it now and then to go on-line, as I am doing right now. Again, common sense is the key.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:36 pm 

Here is the family portrait again but without the 68000 board. The bottom left is Prog65, 6502-based EPROM programmer, bottom right is revised CRC65 for both W65C02 and W65C816, top right is zero glue logic 6502, ZG6502; top center is A2CPLD, an experimental board for Apple II; and top left is UW2, a CPLD-based accelerator for Apple II. The Prog65, CRC65, and ZG6502 are working, I'm working on UW2 and A2CPLD. I will revisit each board individually and update the corresponding homepages.
Bill

Attachments:
DSC_67340109.jpg
DSC_67340109.jpg [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 748 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:42 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
As for cyber security, that starts with common sense, not software remedies. The first bit of common sense is to not use Microsoft application software, especially their abominations that pass for a web browser and E-mail client. Microsoft has consistently demonstrated they don't understand computer security, as the lion's share of the publicly-disclosed cracks are on Windows-powered machines. Their bloatware operating system has the same weaknesses today that it did 20 years ago.

I still say the biggest security blunder is allowing HTML in e-mail, especially scripting. That blame cannot be placed entirely on Microsoft.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:48 pm 

plasmo wrote:
Here is the family portrait again but without the 68000 board. The bottom left is Prog65, 6502-based EPROM programmer, bottom right is revised CRC65 for both W65C02 and W65C816, top right is zero glue logic 6502, ZG6502; top center is A2CPLD, an experimental board for Apple II; and top left is UW2, a CPLD-based accelerator for Apple II. The Prog65, CRC65, and ZG6502 are working, I'm working on UW2 and A2CPLD. I will revisit each board individually and update the corresponding homepages.
Bill

Looks great! You are very productive :)

Chad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:27 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Aw, c'mon! Every version of Windows, right up to 10, has security problems.

As for cyber security, that starts with common sense, not software remedies.

Every version of Windows is, indeed, a festering pit of insecurities. But some versions more than others. And, alas, common sense will only get you so far. Ask anyone in the infosec sector what is the single most important step in protecting yourself and they'll tell you - patching. (Running anti-malware packages generally comes way down the list.) And you can't patch unsupported software. You can be as cautious as you like, but it takes only one click to get hit with a drive-by infection.

Windows 10 is actually pretty good from a security standpoint - Microsoft has made a lot of improvments. But it's still saddled with legacy code - and legacy vulnerabilities!

As for me, I use Mac & Linux!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 pm 

Continuation of the Christmas theme because Chinese New Year is like Christmas.

Another batch of pc boards showed up this afternoon, just before the Chinese New Year. The two small boards on the right are the pc board version of the piggyback VGA. Center top is CPLD+6502 trainer; center bottom is VGA graphic+text board, the two boards on the left are the beginning of a new ecosystem of retro computing boards.

I'll go take a nap first before deciding on which one to tackle first...
Bill

Attachments:
DSC_67550126.jpg
DSC_67550126.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 678 times ]