6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
... What are you guys doing to quickly get code into your SBC?

On my RAM-only systems I simply download a 'hex' file via the 6502 serial interface into system RAM memory using the "blind monitor" function of my "loader" IC. The "blind monitor" doesn't use any system memory so you really only need to avoid I/O address space when downloading code. After downloading code into RAM, press 'reset' or enter a 'go' command to test your code. If it crashes, simply press reset and enter the "blind monitor" again. View or edit memory, download an updated file, etc...

Since the "blind monitor" doesn't use any 6502 RAM memory it's relatively easy to use my RAM-only system as an EEPROM programmer. Simply pull the HM628128 RAM chip and install an AT28C64B, AT28C256, CAT28C256, or an X28C256 EEPROM in its place. Power-up into the "blind monitor", select "Burn EEPROM", select the EEPROM type, and send a 'hex' file from Hyperterminal (using Xon/Xoff hand-shaking). You shouldn't need to specify an 'offset' for the hex file because the 8K or 32K EEPROM will present multiple images across the 64K address space, assuming of course that the 8K or 32K EEPROM is mapped in the target system on an 8K or 32K boundary, respectively.

Cheerful regards, Mike McLaren, K8LH

Note: I just added this capability to the "blind monitor" on my little Pocket 1802/5/6 project (see below).

Attachments:
Free EEPROM Burner.jpg
Free EEPROM Burner.jpg [ 175.48 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Last edited by Michael on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:52 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
What are you guys doing to quickly get code into your SBC?

I have a RAM only SBC with a shared memory interface to an ATmega. It pokes 100 bytes or so of loader into the shared RAM (Which is at $FF00) and the reset vector, then takes the 6502 out of reset and hopes for the best... The code runs, relocates itself to $0400 then talks to the ATmega to load the full monitor/os into $F000-$FDFF then jumps to it. ($FE00 is IO) After that, the ATmega is the serial, disk (sd card), video, etc. IO processor.

-Gordon