6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 pm 

robindegen wrote:
Thank you all very much for your input. I have managed to find the problem. The 27pF cap was bad. Ouch...

If this cap is not connected to pin 6, apparently the entire chip does not function as expected at all, even though I can measure a 1.842mhz signal on pin 7, it just won't work. After replacing the cap, pin5 started outputting the baudrate like floobydust suggested.

The bad capacitor makes sense. It's easy to damage MLCCs or monolithic ceramic leaded capacitors when soldering. I mentioned the problem with no capacitor (which would include an open capacitor) in the I/O ICs section of the 6502 primer, but there's a hand-drawn diagram of what I got on the oscilloscope in the 6th workbench computer QRG page scan at http://wilsonminesco.com/BenchCPU/B1QRG/ under the text "ACIA1 crystal circuit:". Even though the 1.8432MHz signal was there, there was some other stuff on it that kept the ACIA from working when the capacitor was not there.

Quote:
The WDC just uses confusing naming of pins if you ask me. XTL1/XTL2 would have been better. I think the only reason they're called that is for the external clock.

XTALI and XTALO make sense if you think of "I" and "O" being short for "input" and "output."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 am 

robindegen wrote:
When I measure the XTLO pin with my scope, I see a nice 1.84mhz oscillator signal. When I measure XTLI i see 2.5ish volts but no oscillation. Is this correct? Considering the naming of the pins, I expected to see a signal on XTLI instead (as in I for Input?)?

I've also tried putting the 27pF cap on pin 7 instead, and I even tried removing it completely. Both didn't change anything.

robindegen wrote:
Also for reference in case anybody is wondering: It's normal to see the oscillation only happen on pin 7. The WDC just uses confusing naming of pins if you ask me.

Think of pin XTLI as an input to a sensitive amplifier, and XTLO as the output from this amplifier. When you put your 'scope probe on XTLI, the capacitance and resistance of the probe, lead and input of the 'scope are enough to degrade the signal. The input to the amplifier is then outside the correct range, so the circuit stops oscillating.

Whereas, when you test on XTLO, there is still enough drive so the circuit continues to oscillate.

Nearly all crystal oscillator circuits need either one, or sometimes two loading capacitors to help the crystal to oscillate in the correct manner.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:59 pm 

Thanks all for your help. Things are getting a bit clearer now. After tinkering with it some more for an evening, I managed to reliably send a string of text to my terminal.

The only issue i'm still seeing is that when I immediately begin sending when the power comes on, I receive a bunch of crap data.

If I press my reset button, it's always fine. I'm using a DS1233 "econoreset". I'm considering just killing time for a few milliseconds to get things stable on boot.

Attachments:
rs232.png
rs232.png [ 9.07 KiB | Viewed 1655 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 pm 

As you had earlier problems with the baud clock oscillator not starting, it's possible that it's slow to start or (slow to) become stable. I would suggest using a delay loop in your startup routine that's called before sending any data to the 65C51. This will give the chip some time to settle before trying to transmit characters.