6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:00 pm 

enso wrote:
There was no way to get lost.
It's true that sometimes a link to github proves to be workable and rewarding. But in my experience the more usual result is frustration, just as Garth & BDD reported. Dunno why the odds are so poor. I guess it must in some way be the result of habits and assumptions of the git folk (most of them, at least).

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:43 am 

enso wrote:
Well, good for you for being able to not give a shit.

There is a lot that goes on in life about which I have no interest. Github, Facebook, TikTok, Twitter et al are about getting psychological strokes, e.g., lots of "likes," "followers," etc. My hobby computing interests don't require being involved in that milieu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:35 am 

I am with you on all of the above, except Github. Although it does have a 'star' feature, it is hardly a social platform - less of one than 6502.org, anyway. The only way to communicate is by reporting an issue.

Git is a pretty powerful tool (although my knowledge of it is limited to making commits and maybe using a couple of branches). Being able to push to a remote, managed storage like Github is a great backup mechanism. Over the years I lost more hard drives than I want to admit, and have boxes of them in the basement.

Since the Microsoft acquisition I've been looking for a way out, and gitlab is probably it. Just don't have the energy to deal with the move. But I don't enjoy being the product traded by billionaires.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:59 am 

enso wrote:
Being able to push to a remote, managed storage like Github is a great backup mechanism. Over the years I lost more hard drives than I want to admit, and have boxes of them in the basement.

That's why both of my servers have tape drives and run a full backup every night, using two sets of tapes and alternating them weekly. One never knows when the next disk failure will occur.

The trouble with relying on a remote location as you are doing is when your Internet service goes kaput, you have no access to your stuff. Even worse are those who are proponents of storing everything in the "cloud" and keeping no local copies of their files. The stupidity of that completely floors me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:00 pm 

All true.

What kind of tape backup do you use? I thought I was done with tape, but the quality of both spinning and solid state drives is plummeting...

The said proponents' argument almost makes sense: if Amazon cloud is down, chances are that we have bigger problems to deal with than getting our 6502 code. Most of them have not lived through a real economic crisis, however. Or even a decade of stocks not doubling every couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:13 am 

enso wrote:
What kind of tape backup do you use? I thought I was done with tape, but the quality of both spinning and solid state drives is plummeting...

I use an LTO-2 drive in my software development box and an LTO-3 in the office file and print server. An alternative to tape is the use of RDX cartridges. I have two clients backing up to RDX cartridges, one of whom has been using that backup method for some six years. The rest of my clients are using LTO-x tapes.

Currently, mechanical disks continue to be more reliable than solid state units. My company has resisted using SS drives in our servers because we don't want the warranty headaches. If someone wants us to build a server with an SS drive we will only offer a two year warranty on the disks.

Quote:
The said proponents' argument almost makes sense: if Amazon cloud is down, chances are that we have bigger problems to deal with than getting our 6502 code. Most of them have not lived through a real economic crisis, however. Or even a decade of stocks not doubling every couple of years.

Aside from loss of access if Internet service fails at any point (not just at Amazon's server farm), there is the distinct possibility that the company hosting the "cloud" service could go belly-up. If that happens, what happens to all that data you've got stored on the servers that they were forced to shut down when they ran out of working funds and had to close up shop?

Another consideration is the safety of your data. Is your "cloud" service religiously backing up your files? Do you know anything about the scrupulousness of the people hosting your data? After all, so-called industrial espionage is a very real thing. What's to stop your "cloud" operator from leaking your data to another entity?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:16 pm 

Thanks for the drive info. Backing up to tape seems like a wise thing to do, considering I've witnessed a situation where a client lost a RAID array and a backup drive. I kind of miss the old floppies.

I mentioned Amazon because a ridiculously large chunk of the Internet is now at Amazon, not likely to go belly up anytime soon. As a paranoid old coot I don't trust any third party, and completely agree with your points. And anyone storing sensitive unencrypted data in the cloud is a fool.