6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:20 pm 

A simple step towards reaching the goal is to replace the AVR with a microcontroller that's a bit faster, and/or has some nice peripherals to help with the job. A 80-120 MHz CPU with fast I/O capabilities and pin change interrupt should be able to service the 6502 in time.
Quote:
Some of 24F/33F devices have an extended slave port with two address lines so you can make the PIC appear at four consecutive memory addresses but these are 3V3 devices.

That doesn't have to be a problem. A modern WDC 6502 will also happily run at 3V3, and so do the other parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm 

BitWise wrote:
I've been working on a design for a minimal ROM-less 65C02 system (65C02 + 65C22 + 128K RAM + PIC + 2x GAL) where this peripheral is used to turn a PIC into a UART after it has loaded a boot ROM image into the RAM.

Hi Andrew,

My apologies for going off-topic but I just wanted to mention that I've been brain-storming about a minimal ROM-less SBC design for several months now too but I think I need help from Daryl for the GAL. That is, I want to include a range of memory mapped I/O addresses for the PIC in the GAL, and a select input to allow boot-loading from the PIC into RAM. Since the PIC is providing the 65C02 clock, I thought it might be relatively simple for the PIC to slow down the 65C02 clock when processing one of its own memory mapped I/O requests. So the down-side would be slightly slower I/O to peripherals/resources on the PIC but the up-side would be connection to an array of new peripherals through the PIC (timers, rtc, adc, spi, i2c, storage, displays, etc.), all on a relatively small board (PIC, 65C02, RAM, and GAL).

Cheerful regards, Mike