6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

So the delays are still additive, it's just that as you stray from that general point of room-temperature operation (including heat from the chips themselves) and MHz low enough to be counted on the fingers of one hand (in unary!), you'll start seeing the delays rise (possibly drastically) from the typical? Faster operation means more draw from the power supply and thus the power distribution, plus more frequent transitions raise heat generated by the chips... But overall, propagation delays are still additive?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 pm 

Prop delays assigned to individual ICs are always additive...
Multiple levels of logic functions inside Programmable Logic devices are not additive. This is one very attractive feature of these devices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 pm 

Thanks for the backgrounder!

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
On a wire-wrap unit, use heavier gauge wire for power and ground, and avoid a serial power and ground distribution layout.

"Serial power distribution" is what is also called "daisy chaining"? I remember the Primer talking about a star-formation for power and ground lines.

Quote:
Also, what do you plan to do with 24KB of ROM?

Let me just take a moment to enjoy that question ... you just don't hear 24k being called too much anymore :D .

Seriously, though, this was just a scenario I thought up a while ago to fill up the whole address space. I'm still planning on 2 x 8k ROM, with one for the kernel/monitor, and the other for Forth, BASIC or whatever, and one ACIA and one VIA, with one 2-to-4 to address them all. I'll wait to get all fancy and clever till after I have one basic machine working ...

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 am 

scotws wrote:
Thanks for the backgrounder!

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
On a wire-wrap unit, use heavier gauge wire for power and ground, and avoid a serial power and ground distribution layout.

"Serial power distribution" is what is also called "daisy chaining"? I remember the Primer talking about a star-formation for power and ground lines.

One and the same. Star formation with 20 or 22 gauge wire is good.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, what do you plan to do with 24KB of ROM?

Let me just take a moment to enjoy that question ... you just don't hear 24k being called too much anymore :D .

Seriously, though, this was just a scenario I thought up a while ago to fill up the whole address space. I'm still planning on 2 x 8k ROM, with one for the kernel/monitor, and the other for Forth, BASIC or whatever, and one ACIA and one VIA, with one 2-to-4 to address them all. I'll wait to get all fancy and clever till after I have one basic machine working ...

Thanks again!

All in all, RAM is more valuable. I'd only map in enough ROM to fulfill ROM needs. The more RAM you have the more ways you'll find to use it. Think of it like money. :lol: