6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

fachat wrote:
Still bravo, so let's get the remaining bugs fixed :-)
Thanks a lot! :wink:

Quote:
I don't know if you've got your schematics here, but the VIA has an "undocumented" feature. It needs the address lines and select stable at rising phi2.
I learned about this, but I don't think it's the problem here. My decoding is extremely simple:

(A13...A15 are unused)
Code:
VIA  CS = A11
VIA /CS = A12

ROM /CS = NOT( A12 )

RAM /CS = NAND( NOT(A11), NOT(A12) )
RAM /WE = OR ( Phi1, R/W )

The VIA chip selects go directly to the address bus, with no gates in between, thus well before the rising edge of Phi2.

Quote:
Another one: how do you compute the VIA timer values? How do you create the sound?
I'm using a simple square wave generator from PB7 toggling at each timeout of Timer 1. I computed the appropiate timer values for each note, and they're directly copied into the VIA's registers from a table with three-byte entries for each note. The last byte of each entry indicates the duration, and goes to a delay loop.

There are some "special" values for the pitch MSB: zero means rest, disabling the PB7 toggling for the silence. And $FF marks the end of the score.

Quote:
Though, ... are you using CMOS logic? (Like 74HCTxxx) or other fast logic like 74ALSxxx.
The only logic IC is a 74HC132 (also tried an HCT; I have no TTL equivalent). I chose a Schmitt-trigger gate for the Reset circuit. Two gates are used as inverters for A11 and A12, and the remaining gate implements the NAND function for RAM /CS.

Quote:
I have to add that the VIA actually does SPI mode 3 "naturally". You only need to shift out the byte via the shift register, and shift it into a 74164 Serial-in-parallel-out.
Interesting... but my main intent for using SPI was for SD/MMC card access, which uses mode 0. Fortunately, jesari designed a nice workaround for it.

BigEd wrote:
Are the notes consistently too high, or too low? Or really very wrong?
They're very wrong, not just slightly detuned. There is some variability, especially depending on the particular VIA sample (although all of them work great on the breadboard) but the usual behaviour is one out of these two:

1) A single frequency is played for all the notes, only the silences (rests) are correctly "played" (sound is muted)
2) Only two frequencies are used, depending on the particular note. Seems like it's rounded to the nearest octave (or something)

On second thought, it seems the data bits aren't arriving to the VIA, although D7 should be fine because is used in ACR to switch the PB7 toggling on and off, which is done properly.

By the way: continuity of the data lines between the CPU and VIA (less than an inch) is OK. On the 'scope, waveforms seem OK -- they seem worse on the breadboard, and that works just fine!

Quote:
I wonder if stray interrupts could slow things down.
Interrupts are disabled. Since the code is designed to work RAMless, any interrupt would crash the computer at once.

GARTHWILSON wrote:
For such a small board and 1MHz, I doubt that the AC behavior is a problem.
I really hope so...

Quote:
I have done what you're talking about zuiko21, so if you post your code to set up the VIA and set the notes, I wonder if I could find the problem.
Don't think it could be the culprit, since the very same EPROM with the very same code and the very same VIA work great on the breadboard... but anyway, here it is (not sure if this is the latest version, though)
Code:
play    LDA #$0E       ; some intialization
        STA PCR
        STA IER        ; disable interrupts, just in case (a SEI was previously executed)
        LDA #$80       ; will set PB7 as output
        STA DDRB
        STA ORB        ; don't think is needed, but won't hurt anyway
        LDX #0         ; reset note pointer
note    LDA score, X   ; get pitch LSB for current note
        STA T1LL       ; put it into latch
        LDA score+1, X ; get pitch MSB (could be special value)
        BNE no_rest    ; must sound
        STZ ACR        ; otherwise, turn off PB7 toggling
        BRA delay      ; no subroutines, in case of RAMless
no_rest CMP #$FF       ; is it the end of the score?
lock    BEQ lock       ; "stop" the CPU
        LDY #$C0       ; otherwise, turn sound back on again
        STY ACR
        STA T1LH       ; not a special value, put the MSB in
        STA T1CH       ; start counting
delay   LDA score+2, X ; get note length
        LDY #0         ; reset delay counter LSB
loop    ROL ORA        ; lose some time rotating a meaningless value a few times
        ROR ORA
        ROL ORA
        ROR ORA
        ROL ORA
        ROR ORA
        DEY            ; LSB counter
        BNE loop
        DEC            ; MSB counter, the delay from table entry
        BNE loop
        STZ ACR        ; turn sound off, just in case
        INX            ; increase pointer to the next note
        INX
        INX
        BRA note       ; loop until the end-of-score is detected

This code could use some optimization, like writing only to the T1 counter registers, and not the latches; but this version worked just fine on the breadboard.

Roquetas de Mar, Almeria (Spain)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:37 am 

If it worked on the breadboard but not on the other board, but it seems to be trying, the only thing I can think of is that a couple of lines got swapped, maybe data bits or RS bits or something like that.

Some notes I have here from getting things working after reading ap notes though (the first ap. note being from Rockwell I believe, although I can't put my hand on it at the moment):
  • You must write x1xxxxxx to the ACR before writing to the counters.
  • You must write directly to the counters to get T1 sarted, and after that you can write to the latches.
  • and from Synertek ap. note AN-5:
        Writing to the T1CL is effectively a write to the low-order latch. The data is held in the latch until the high-order counter is written: at this time the data is transferred to the counter. [...] A write to T1CH loads both the high-order counter and the high-order latch with the same value; simultaneously the T1LL contents are transferred to the low-order counter and the count begins. <end quote>
    So if the VIA manufacturers did things slightly differently from one to the other, this could explain why one works and the other does not. It could be that the one that does not work needs for you to write to T1CH after you write to T1CL (even if T1CH is 0) so that the new number in T1CL will take effect.