6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm 

legacy wrote:
it is a very rude and crude home made tiny SBC

Daryl's SBC-2 is somewhat smaller, but perhaps we should offer one that's even a lot smaller. This one
was part of a product we sold for about 13 years (the EPROM socket is on the other side) but with SMT parts it would be possible to get more I/O and features in even less space. Dajgoro has been talking about a module in the 64-pin DIP size the 68000 came in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 pm 

BigEd wrote:

Ya know, they don't talk much about the capabilities of these machines. Just "Look, a board, parts and a bunch of documentation".

And, yea, it's kind of pricey.

Nice they have a 65816 version though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:04 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Also, you won't learn as much about the hardware with the 80C32 unit. Your best bet for learning about the nuts and bolts of computer hardware is to work with a 65C02 or 65C816 unit and discrete logic. If you hand-assemble it from components, so much the better.

Why ? 80C32 is a intel 51 microcontroller with uart and clock generator aboard, it is a so called "all-in-one" solution as intel 8085, but it has a multiplexed bus so the first thing you have to toy with is a latch in order to interface the bus; beside of this, i had to toy with 74138 and other glue logic in order to map the ram, the rom, and the port-IO (2 latches). I do not like 51 core cause it is not a von neumann machine which has code and data phisically separated, the rom is asserted through a dedicated pin called psen (program storage enable) while the ram is not, so i am having the first 32Kbyte of ram in overlap with the first 32Kbyte of rom's addresses: too ugly. Also 51 has different opcodes to access the ram, and differenet opcodes to acccess the rom.

btw, i had to toy with 74xxx chips and data propagation, asincornous static ram, chips mapping, and more .... so why and where 65c02 should be more appropiate in order to learn about the nuts and bolts of computer hardware ?

i have chosen to switch to 6502 'cause i simply love the 6502 assembly =D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
the EPROM socket is on the other side

that's is good ! i love DIP socketed eprom, i do not like any soldered flash or different socket from DIP

i have bought an eprom emulator which is able to emulate a lot of eproms: from 1Kbyte to 512Kbyte, @5V or @3.3V.
It is a cheap tool, it needs Windows and a parallel port EPP, but it works fine and it is incredibly fast, it takes less than 1 sec to upload the eprom image in its ram =P

I have different "DIP-socket-cables", they are similar to the one in the photo, so i can plug it into different sockets to emulate eprom =D

f.e. my 80C32 board has a 27C256 eprom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:37 pm 

I guess a Raspberry Pi running a 6502 emulator (or a few) isn't really desirable here? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:06 pm 

White Flame wrote:
I guess a Raspberry Pi running a 6502 emulator (or a few) isn't really desirable here? :wink:

Is the 6502 emulator for the Raspberry Pi even widely available? The last time I googled, they were trying to rip the 6502 emulation from beebdroid.

http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 300#p52268

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=9&t=4448

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:37 pm 

There's some continuing difficulty getting a Beeb emulator ported, but a simple 6502 emulation such as lib6502 or py65 runs just fine. So it depends on what you want to emulate!